Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fighter jets for the Air Corps?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭delusiondestroyer

"The rest of your “questions” don’t really warrant a response at this stage"

Its a bit hypocritical to accuse me of dodging questions when you post this then lol

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Well we have yoiur opinion, 'not a penny more needed'.

You are in total denial. Our defence forces are woefully unready to protect us from anything at the moment. A mad billionaire could probably raise a private army and take over here as it stands. As for our naval corps it wasn't able to send ships to investigate the russian ships as they don't have sufficient crew available. At least a jet could fly out and see what's going on in a few minutes.

As for consequences what you you suggest if some power land a force here without warning? You really think we shouldn't fire on them? Would you think it would be a good idea if they were marching into Cork?

I genuinely dont know where to even start with that post other than laugh lol

Ive seen it all, one fella referring to WW2 and Vikings another lad is concerned about mad billionaires invading Ireland...

Who's Marching into cork?

We fly the Jet over the Russian Navy and do what exactly?

Yer all as mad as a bag of spiders on here lol Logic.exe could not be found!

You still never answered me about "when the Russians attacked us"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

Are you content with the way the defence forces are?

You barely answered any questions I put to you.

Take a look back and you’ll see I asked quite a few, instead you went down the petty name calling route.

The idea you seem so against Ireland being able to defend itself is just laughable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,716 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Quite happy this is getting attention outside of this country. It's always been embarrassing so don't know why some are precious about certain commentary.

The problem with this country is it literally doesn't do the bare minimum, not even close, compared to every other non micro state in Europe.

Heavy air lift capacity is a glaring and inexcusable example. We are the only country in Europe without such a basic capability.

We do this to save money and then go begging for lifts.

It's not a good look.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

The Tánaiste spoke in the Dáil today about the procurement of primary radar for surveillance of Irish airspace and how complex the establishment of such a system will be. Realistically, the acquisition and bringing to operational capability of aircraft for air defence, which I assume would also require the radar system to be operational, must be many years in the future at this point. There is a long way to go.

Who did I call names ?

No as a matter of fact I have answered all your questions it's you who ducks mine.

Matter of fact post any question I might have missed I'll gladly answer it.

I doubt you LL do the same tho.

The fact you think Ireland on its own can "defend itself" large scale is what's laughable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Yeah they are grand for what they do, keeping the gov in power stabilizing the population and other small scale stuff.

But war fighting and actual real defence they are largely a non factor basically irrelevant.

But no one expects that of them, I certainly don't expect our defense forces to be going up policing the Russians and going head to head with there Navy it's just plain stupid and suicidal from a military perspective.

As I said alot yer arguments for jets is very naive and vastly over estimating there abilities.

You completely don't understand the premise behind "policing" and what it's based on.

And seem to have a notion that our heavily outnumbered DF would put this epic 300 style fight against a far superior force it's an absolute romanticized take on what would actually happen which is a massacre of the bullets and bombs started flying.

Post edited by delusiondestroyer on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Some of you are too young to remember a similar time in the 80s, when Ireland lacked 24 hour Search and Rescue, and we relied on the RAF and the RN, to cover our shores outside office hours. In fact we had no offshore rescue capability whatsoever.

So eventually, after one too many Irish people died due to the Heli being just too far away, the Irish Govt made a big song and dance, and, having seen the RAF and RN cover our coasts with reliable airframes such as the Wessex and Sea King, decided to instead be launch customer for the Naval dauphin, buying 5, (only 2 fitted for Naval use, all available for SAR and VIP transport).

Many lives were saved, but the aircraft was too small, so the crew had to decide between carrying enough fuel to get to an alternate, or lifesaving equipment. Also useful technology to bring the aircraft home by autopilot in IFR conditions, was not approved for use by the Air Corps.

All the above, along with a catalogue of other systematic causes, led to the deaths of 4 brave members of the Air Corps, when their Dauphin (Dh 248) crashed into a sand dune in Tramore in Heavy fog while returning from their first shout when Waterford SAR heli went 24 hr. The minister of the day said "I'll get you bigger Helicopters for SAR and troop transport!" And a tender was launched which came down between the Sikorsky S92, the EH101 from European Helicopter Industries (Now part of Agusta) and the Eurocopter EC225. (An Updated Super Puma which had not yet flown). Of course that went wrong after the S92 had been selected, and the contract was cancelled.

By now the Coast Guard were using the Civilian Sea King, the S61n for SAR in Shannon. In time they replaced the Air Corps heli At Waterford also, then Dublin. The Air Corps wanted to stay in the game, so they leased an S61 (not a sea King) and operated it initially from Finner (where A Dauphin had been based) and later on Sligo.

Of course that also went wrong, for many reasons which I won't go into, needless to say the Coast Guard took back the Air Corps S61, and begun operating from Sligo too. The Air Corps as a declared SAR asset ended on that day, in 2004 having begun in 1963 with the daylight only Alouette III. Since then the Coast Guard has transitioned to the S92, ironically the type the Air Corps had failed to get at the start of this century.

In summary, when the Government are forced into doing something urgently when it comes to Defence, they get it so wrong you wish you had never asked.

Only once since the founding of the state have we been attacked from the air.. and even that was by mistake.

8 decades without a major incident and yet people are trying to say we urgently need air defence... based on what exactly? We dont even have realistic credible threats to justify it.

The money could be spent on far better... and even within the military itself for that matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,950 ✭✭✭sparky42

Without question it’s a complex project well outside the scope of anything the DOD has done, hell just look at how long the MRV has taken. But we aren’t inventing anything new here, surely it’s not too much out of the box thinking to pick a EU nation and model our tender specs on theirs and then throw it out to industry? I know there have been “visits” but we have no idea what that has entailed, and from memory this isn’t blank sheets we are starting from, didn’t several firms put forward their tech back when the WP floated it?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Ah the Fouga Magisters....

Dismal reading and not even surprising.

If the radar is bought and delivered before 2030 I’d be shocked, jets before 2050 and we will be on some serious roll.

At this rate most of us will not be around to see it. Even if we did get it right, there would still be the cranks on social media saying "Yeah it has photon torpedoes, but I bet it can't do a barrel roll in formation like the Fouga used to..."

Who were you referring to when you posted call of duty brained morons?

You actually didn’t answer any of my questions bar one which was a question you asked me that i turned back to you.

You didn’t answer my radar question, if our craft are good enough, if the navy should stay as it is.. etc etc.

like I said before, this will be a pointless exercise to tbh answer them or not I couldn’t give a bollocks. You’ve your way of thinking and the rest of us have ours but to assume we should leave a country utterly defenceless and/or unable to even remotely police our skies and seas and throw the money at something else (let me guess.. the hse) is the most stupid **** someone could say and to me says the person is one of those types of people that would oppose a 7 storey “tower” in Dublin as it blocks the views of the Dublin mountains.

My house has never gone on fire. Why do we need a fire brigade?

I wouldn’t mind but even his point is wrong, we were bombed more than once, not too mention the attacks on Irish shipping, or those killed by washed up mines…

At this point.. just put them back into service.

• Advertisement

The Germans blew up the Lusitania off the Irish coast but I’m going to go out on a whim and predict he or she will laugh that a last event was brought up.

Nah, sure we could just ask the northern Irish fire brigade service to do that.

Mind you, you’ll probably be homeless by the time they arrive but just think of the benefits!

So what your really saying is "I cant answer your questions so im going to deflect from them by arguing about answering questions" Its alright to not have the answers lad especially when reality goes against your beliefs i can see why you would struggle.

But im a kind person ill allow you not answer my questions but feel free to ask me any that i have missed ill gladly answer any i shy away from no question.

For a man that claims to not give a bollox you have been on this thread quiet a while... but you and contradictions are no strangers eh!

You are the only one thats saying leave the country defenceless please qoute where i stated i want the country left defenceless.. quite the opposite infact, i just think the strategy that you are putting forward and others is frankly...dumb as ****.

The HSE is stupid **** is it? go and ask anyone in the Midwest region whether the hospitals need investment ask em which would they prefer fully staffed hospitals or some ridiculous bullshit jets in Shannon so gobshites can fly around policing imaginary threats.

Reality is you are a million times more likely to die from an understaffed hospital in Ireland than being hit with an airstrike in Ireland anyway and that's for sure! Just goes to show that "protecting the citizens" spiel is all faux bullshit ye just want shiny jets to play soldier cause it looks cool, knowing yell never have to go to war.

The people you supposedly want to "protect" would laugh you out the door and your defence force buddies along with you and rightly so.

Im damn glad we arent wasting money on our bullshit DF long may common sense prevail!

If fighters were going to happen it was always most likely to the F16, kind of like the Abrams it’s the one with the most stored.

Not very good with probabilities are you?

Ireland being the victim of a unprovoked attack by Russia or the likes is definitely as probable as a house fire..

Fantastic comparison!

How about a more accurate one.

You'd have a fire brigade with 0 real fire fighting experience they have only ever filled sandbags for floods and the likes and this fire brigade rocks up with a limit of 4-5 buckets of water to put out your blazing house...Turns out they could never have dealt with the fire in the first place.

But they have nice shiny fire trucks and they look cool.

Last I heard the Abrams isn't straight forward. The ones (or least some of those) in US storage have classified armour that isn't on the export model. There was talk of the US doing a deal to acquire some export models back from other countries to give to Ukraine.

Not sure where the F16s are going to come from. Seems to be a line in the sand for some.

Of course ill laugh you have to go back to 1940 to give examples of threats to justify spending on modern aircraft who wouldn't laugh at that.

Its ridiculous you have at best a handful of isolated incidents that weren't even aimed as us as examples and expect to be taken seriously lol

The funniest part of it is the lot of ye all back pat each other as if its a real "gotcha" moment lol

I cringe for ye cause you're completely and utterly wrong but are so confident ye are right lol

But the facts remain...

No jets for the baiss! None anytime soon!

Decades on decades of safe skies!

There's a lot up in the air, thats for sure. Fairly certain however the US has shipped some to Germany for Ukrainians to start training on them. The greater issue is that most of what they are stored are fairly worn from Iraq so will take time to get into service, along with the issues of Poland wanting their order as soon as possible. But really pretty much everyone is doing backroom deals, some of the WP hardware that has been turning up in Ukraine is certainly coming from random places.

The Netherlands seems to be pushing the F16, and they are moving to the 35 so might have some spare?

• Advertisement

Advertisement