Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foynes Line

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

Modify the bridges? As in demolish them and rebuild them wider?

Greenway brigade have no appreciation of the engineering complications and cost that adding in a greenway would involve. They think it is just an easy job of oh yeah we will stick on a greenway there while they are at it. There are huge implications that they cannot see.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Just to be clear, I don't support the greenway suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 FrankLeeSpeaking

Thanks for this. Gosh, 20 years of the Irish weather certainly takes no prisoners.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Board Walker

Has any more happened on this line since it was cleared?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

No evidence of further work between Colbert Station and Dooradoyle

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Work is starting from the Foynes end and is not due to be finished until early 2025. You not going to see anything on that section for quite a while yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Paddico

Any update folks, has construction started?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I had a feeling this would come in the next few days. It's a no brainer if they ever do passenger services in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

While I normally despise this type of kite flying this one is a no brainer.

It's pretty much a straight line to the city centre.

It could also serve the Cresent by developing the old cement spur as a walkway, 500 metres to the shopping centre and a lot of houses in the area too.

It's a relatively cheap project too.

Far more viable than Moyross imo.

• Advertisement

The biggest hospital in the region is also close by. They are already running a shuttle bus from Garryowen rugby to the hospital because of parking issues so a shuttle to the station would be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

There's no point opening a station here without a frequent service and a network of other stations near where people live.

Access at Limerick will be an issue. The Foynes line merges at Limerick Check facing away from the station so it would require a Killarney-style reverse. There used to be a direct curve from platform 4 to a bridge over Carey's Road but it was removed in the mid 70s after the North Kerry line closed.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

It's a quick drive to Raheen Business Park from most of Limerick city and hinterlands. The railway station is a moderate distance from most of the industry there at the minute.

The main beneficiaries of such a proposal would be people living near Colbert station. I can't think of anywhere else where it would make sense for them to take the train to Raheen and make their way from the train station to their desk that would be faster than driving.

Such a proposal would make sense if it was a heavily built up area of dense commercial buildings, not a predominantly manufacturing based business park on the outskirts of the city directly connected to a motorway.

Now cycling incentives would be an idea.

I don't think the idea is to get people from Colbert to Raheen.

More to open up West Limerick as a more enticing place to live for people working in the industrial estate or hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Build it and they will come. Every new line has shown this and Limerick is actually one of the places in the country that has railway infrastructures in place.

I'm sure if I was considering a job in Raheen, I could look at moving to outside Adare or Askeaton or Foynes, hop on a train to Raheen and go to work. It would be a great asset.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭pigtown

That's the point though, without a network of stations it'd be pointless. And without a plan to density sites around potential stations then it won't happen. Our new development plan doesn't do this and it won't be replaced until 2032.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,060 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

well maybe it's time to change tac in this case and build the infrastructure first, then we will have infrastructure in place to densify around.

the current way of cramming infrastructure in after densification or even allowing such densification such that PT infrastructure can't be accommodated successfully just does not seem to work, nothing gets done and we continue in the cycle of horific levels of car traffic in our cities.

it's 2023, not 1963, time to grow up.

as someone pointed out, limerick is perfect for rail development with infrastructure already in place.

no it isn't 100% perfect but if we are looking for absolute perfection and for such infrastructure to suit every possible journey, then we will get nothing.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Well we are certainly not getting 100% perfection from our cars. All anyone ever seems to do is complain about their commute but yet many are hostile to other options.

I don't see why Limerick can't have the likes of Little Island or Oranmore.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

as someone pointed out, limerick is perfect for rail development with infrastructure already in place.

no it isn't 100% perfect but if we are looking for absolute perfection and for such infrastructure to suit every possible journey, then we will get nothing.

It's not that it's not perfect, it's just of little use. All railway lines are circuitous and converge on Colbert station, which has very little to generate trips. The Foynes line is currently disconnected from the rest of the network and there is geographically no way to make a sensible connection between it and the other lines that would enable useful journey times.

There is no reason for the majority of people to use a potential rail option, it won't be any faster than a car trip and in many cases it would be so much slower that there would be no reason to use it. The 304 would be faster anyhow and stops at the front of the business park where all the people work.

• Advertisement

Again I don't think the suggestion is Colbert to Raheen. That is well served as you say.

It would give West Limerick people 3 important destination options in the industrial estate, hospital (West Limerick I know from work has serious connectivity problems for access to care) and city centre. Obviously the issue with platform connection to Colbert needs to be solved as has been mentioned.

If you think a car is easier try drive to Adare or Foynes on a winters night.

Is this from Adare and Foynes? Or down the line to Newcastlewest?

I presume they're asking if you're suggesting Adare, Askeaton and Foynes, or whether to reinstate the North Kerry line down towards Abbeyfeale and Newcastlewest.

Well there is no talk about rebuilding old lines to NCW or Kerry so I am talking about along the line that is currently being rebuilt to Foynes.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Cushtie

So Sisks have opened a compound in a field just off the N69 near Askeaton. Adjacent to the line. Lots of containers, site offices, machninery etc. So looks like full steam ahead.

Wouldnt take much to reinstate that curve. All in Irish rail / government ownership afaik.

Reinstate the direct curve to Colbert.

You would then shuttle at high frequency between Colbert and Raheen with a stop at the Crescent spur. Maybe further stops / park and ride at Adare / Patrickswell.

Somebody from Nenagh or Sixmilebridge connects at Colbert. Won't be waiting long for a train.

This is low hanging fruit stuff, the line is being redeveloped anyway so adding in these things won't break the bank.

I think once the line is done the political pressure will be massive because people will just very very confused as to why a line was rebuilt for nothing*. We are talking about a place where people want a spur to Shannon so they won't put up with an actual working line doing nothing*

* Most people will have no clue it was to get Foynes some special EU rating or whatever.

• Advertisement

If we can't put passenger trains on a new section of track that takes a straight line into Limerick then there really is little hope.

This is a much better play than a new station in Moyross which takes three sides of the city and starts a lot closer to town.

Advertisement