Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Varadkar Excuse (King Charles III Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

The main reason I won’t attend weddings and other functions anymore is that I can’t avoid picking my nose in public and won’t refrain from posting on Instagram and Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

If that's what he was doing - well then he was f***ing stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,315 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Stupid indeed.

As I think somebody else pointed out, 300+ people is not really a private group. They cannot all be close personal friends and no doubt many of them you don't really know.

No outrage, but these two definitely go down in my estimation.

If you invited somebody to an event, and asked that mobile phones be turned off, you wouldn't be impressed if some guy kept posting stuff on his phone taking the p!ss out of my event. It's just common decency.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Embarrassing that you're defending them but expected. The anti Varadkar posts in the thread are mostly ridiculous. I'm no supporter of him either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

When I was working, I used to attend conferences, seminars and other events with the same group fairly regularly, there would be some w*nkers who would be constantly on their phones, social media rubbish and jokes etc. "Too cool for school" type mentality. I'd say that applies to both Mean Girls Varadkar and Twat Barrett.

I wonder would either of the twats have gotten in to do Medicine if they had had to do the HPAT exam that was introduced in 2009.

"The HPAT Interpersonal Understanding section is a component of the Health Professions Admissions Test (HPAT) that measures a candidate's ability to understand and analyze interpersonal relationships, emotions, and behavior. It assesses a candidate's empathy, emotional intelligence, and interpersonal skills"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

The two biggest truisms of boards.ie in recent years:

1. You're not allowed to criticise (no matter how valid said criticism is) Leo Varadkar because he's gay.
    2. You're not allowed to criticise (no matter how valid said criticism is) Helen McEntee because she's a woman.

A crude but somewhat effective tactic whereby the issue or offence is pushed to one side and an attack levelled at the accuser on the grounds of homophobia or misogyny.

Great to see the usual suspects out defending their "heroes" once again. And to think I used to vote FG. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Instead of just stating that in a hollow fashion, explain to me why it is.

Explain to me what is incorrect about it, let alone crazy.

You're entitled to your opinion, but what's your evidence for it?

Reading the stuff posted in here is like a combination of Life of Brian and Father Ted. Down with all that sort of thing and what did the Governments since 2011 ever do for us except the spectacular recovery, the high value jobs, the wealth, the education, the opportunities, the healthier environment, the infrastructure investment and on and on.

The problems we do have in this place are consequences of success not of failure. And the work goes on.

Nothing but feckless whingers and scroungers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Absolutely it does- we’ve fought racism against the Irish for many decades as being portrayed as backward drunken leprechauns - in some respects, a deserved stereotype as we often did ourselves no favours . Now that we’re much more accepted on the world stage, what do we do? Make childish schoolboy comments about the ceremonial proceedings whilst waiting for the slap-up meal and to hang out with our euro friends for the afternoon.

Varadkar and his partner are an embarrassment -and you could tell he was worried by the way he responded to the press yesterday- he knows well this will impact him in the elections and Sinn Fein will no doubt capitalise on it. It would appear SF’s best electoral asset is Leo and his partner😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

You're just changing the subject though.

Basic maturity and decorum at a diplomatic function are just.. basic.

Charles was diplomatic when the IRA killed his father's uncle, which we take for granted. Maybe we could extend him a little respect and sensitivity even though we don't like him and the kind of things he stands for?

You seem to be saying that criticism of bad behaviour is effectively ingratitude to the Government for giving us nice things.

Also its interesting that you see all of Ireland's successes, opportunities and the recovery as things that have been gifted to the people by the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

They are an embarrassment, both to themselves and to Ireland, being placed into an incredibility privileged position of attending an event with World leaders places this pair into the top 1% yet they choose to make fun of that privilege

Roll on the next election and varadkar can move onto a cushy job in the private sector like Eoghan Murphy

• Advertisement

Under the new hate speech laws, descent - who you are descended from - is a protected characteristic. Royalty fits this category by any reasonable interpretation.

Making sexually explicit comments about the royals at a coronation would likely incite hatred against them.

If you distribute any material which could incite hatred against a protected characteristic, there's a 5 year jail sentence.

I'm not in favour of the new laws but since they are in place we need to enforce them. Leo's partner needs to be charged and jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this whole thing is a non-issue really.

someone picked their nose and made a few jokes at an event that is really only relevant to 1 country who gives some people extreme privilage because of a space wizzard, while millions of it's own people go hungry, and the same country is creeping tords being a totalitarian state.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

"I hate the British monarchy but I'm outraged at Leo Varadkars partner making jokes at the coronation"

It's pretty comical.

Theres definitely things to have issues with when it comes to Varadkar but this thread is just hilarious.

Amazing how many people are missing the point.

They were there in a capacity that represents the country on the International stage with other diplomats. Feelings about the monarchy don't come into it publically. It's the equivalent of a work event. Be professional.

If Sabina Higgins or Micheal Martins wife were at the same things there would be the same levels of disdain towards embarrassing is on the global stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

They know that. It's just another attempt to deflect from the issue.

When unable to defend the indefensible, try and move the goalposts or shout some -ist or -ic or -ism to try and deflect from the situation.

Unfortunately though, the problem with that is that the ones at fault here aren't the ones complaining about it, it's the two lads concerned who treated a formal state event as De Boyz on tour with one of them chasing those oh so important Insta kudos!

Embarrassing! Both for themselves and the country.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 24,185 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Nobody is deflecting from anything.

This is the first few lines of the OP.

So Varadkar seems to have 2 excuses when it comes to his "private life"

I am individual I deserve time off

This has nothing to do with the Coronation in London, it's all about The George and Kylie and music festivals in London and the nature of his relationship with Barrett and all the other barely disguised religious conservative and homophobic digs from miserable bitter bastards, for whom Varadkars private life is none of their business and yet he lives rent free in their head.

I'll say again, get a life for yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭RoTelly

What? Is that aimed at me?

Seriously! I am pointing out that there is consistency when it comes to his excuses on his faux passes.

I am not asking that Leo step down for this, or anything like it, but for him to recognize that it was wrong and yes to have Mat issue an apology, looks like he has.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

You only need to look at Cosgrave's tweets to see the underlying homophobia in the commentary.

He refers to Barrett as Varadkar's "primary partner". Would he use that language about a heterosexual marriage? Not a chance.

Absolutely disgusting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

I'm neither conservative or homophobic, I dont give a damn about a coronation BUT I would like if people could act with some bloody decorum when they are representing the state abroad!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

SO who was the lad in the George? If a heterosexual did that in full public view there wouldn't be a primary partner, it would be an ex-partner. Unless they were swingers.

The old homophobia is everywhere is total BS! it is used to deflect when Gay people do stupid SH1T, lets just call it what is was .... Stupid, Immature and disrespectful SH1T! All to gain likes on his "private" social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,038 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Stupid thing to do but seems to have been blown out of all proportions.

Plenty of things people can attack Varadkar for, including the constant digging for clams in his nose like a bloody child.

Sorry now, there are hundreds of thousands of marriages up and down the country where one partner has done something stupid, and probably more stupid than drunkenly kiss someone on a dancefloor. Those marriages don't end and we don't have public commentary about "primary partners".

It is that type of snide and insidious homophobia that Cosgrave is putting about that is the nastiest. Of course Varadkar was stupid, but that is a private matter between him and Barrett. Calling out Barrett as his primary partner is deliberately drawing attention to his relationship in a negative way, to highlight it. Pure ignorance from Cosgrave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The music festival in London he went to when venues in Ireland were closed due to Covid. This should have been the end of his political career. Even Boris Johnson got serious flak for partygate and even go so far as to say it was the beginning of the end for him.

His partner that claims to want privacy then wrote an open complaint to the paper that published the picture. If you want privacy then keep out of the spotlight.

Ireland needs to have consequences for these things, far too many politicians think of themselves above the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Since official relations started to thaw between Ireland and the Royal family, the Royals have shown us nothing but the utmost respect. Charles seems to love Ireland repeatedly saying that he hopes to visit every county. To hear Varadkar trying to downplay this saying that Matt was a private individual etc was incredible.Does he not get it? The two of them showed complete and utter lack of class.

I think something like this will actually do a massive amount of damage to our reputation. Many British aristos couldn't get an invitation to the Coronation.Kate Middleton couldn't bring her sister or brother in law. We got 4 invitations and this is how he behaved.

And how did he as a 'private individual' get an invitation? Such crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Can’t stand varadkar and criticising his actions isn’t homophobic but if you think all heterosexuals split up after cheating unless they’re swingers then you’re very wet behind the ears

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Irlandese

I couldn't agree more, nacher .

Freud once memorably said something to the effect that many humans were rubbish.

Life has taught me that he under-estimated the problem.

Looking at most comments here just reminds me.......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Like it or not, Varadkar is a public figure. He holds one of the most important jobs in the country, actively gets himself into the traditional media or online at every opportunity, and by inviting his partner to these events, he's extending that public image to him.

With that position comes a responsibility to be aware that their behaviour and comments will be recorded and reported on. It's surely not that difficult to understand that if you're representing the country you should try and behave yourself and not do/say anything stupid in front of the world's press and other leaders.

The fact that they're gay is irrelevant. Leo shifting some other lad in a nightclub and any relationship fallout is between him and his partner, but as public figures it's going to be exposed and commented on - just as is the case for any other politician or celebrity. Part of the territory I'm afraid. He could always resign. No one is forcing him to stay in the job.

None of this prior behaviour however has any relevance to the subject at hand except maybe as an indicator of a lack of maturity and a warning of what to potentially expect - ie: yet another embarassing gaffe.

Lol Trump was given a property empire and a few million to start. Still baffles me to this day how he got to the highest office.

• Advertisement

I am referring to the use of "primary partner" to describe his relationship. That phrase would not be used by Paddy Cosgrave in any description of a heterosexual relationship.

Of course, Barrett was childish, but that does not give an excuse to Cosgrave to engage in his low-level homophobic trolling.

Advertisement