Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2023 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,263 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah but... firing one driver in a season looks like the driver made a balls of it. Firing 2 drivers in a season looks like AT made a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,361 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ricciardo will be a different driver in that car given the chance. Everyone acknowledges the McLaren has in built odd characteristics.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Its gas looking at some of the older threads in here from 2005 and 2006.

Was there no General discussion threads back then? I could not find any. Just one from 2005 about the disgrace F1 had made of itself at the 2005 American race and who should be sacked which never happened.

Also one from early 2006 about who will win the Championship that year and not one person had voted for Alonso that year which is crazy considering he had just won it in 2005.

Everyone thought it would be Schumacher or Kimi or Montoya.

It seems like a whole different World looking back at them. So different back then. I always felt so sorry for Kimi. He came so close in the Mclaren so many times except for the terrible reliability of it he should have been at least a 3 or 4 time WDC winner but at least he got one with Ferrari.

I wonder what he is doing these days?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Max Verstappen is currently competing in the Nurburgring 24h (sim racing) and coming 3rd. One of his WDC trophies is sitting on a fridge in view..

For those unaware Max does a lot of sim racing and is exceptionally good at it. Man is an absolute machine when it comes to racing. Beyond obsessive.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,149 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a wonder he's not affiliated with any of these SIM teams I half know about.

Lando Norris has this Team Quadrant on the go who occasionally have their logo on his helmet and Lewis Hamilton has a long running association with Gran Turismo.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,410 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The next three weekends will be busy busy.

San Marino: 21st May.

Monaco: 28th May.

Spain: 4th June.

Ms

Definitely going to watch Monaco Quali Live. Just have to find the right place for it where they actually turn the sound up and have no radio on in the background. As for the race the highlights will do.

The other two no idea will see nearer the weekends and see what the funds are like.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,635 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Advertisement

Track staff have been evacuated from Imola, sounds like the situation there is pretty nuts!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Wow. That's scary stuff, making a call like that doesn't come lightly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

The river beside the track is nearly up over its banks and there's a shedload more rain forecast, I saw a video of it on the F1 subreddit.

Right now it is really not looking good, we could either have no race, or a Spa 2021 scenario

Ms

No race it is so it would certainly be better than the joke that was Spa 2021.

So I just seen something about Ayrton Senna that I did not know. It was before my time but I never knew he saved another drivers life. The man really is a legend.

no idea who that other driver is. Never heard of him. Must Wiki him.

What driver do you think woukd do this today racing or who was racing recently?

My 3 picks are Vettel, Alonso and Button.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I think it was Eric Comas, and Senna heard the engine still howling over the noise of his own. Heard him on an interview in recent years, (maybe Beyond the Grid) and was quite moving to hear him talk about the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,769 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Russell bust a gut to get to Zhou last year at Silverstone to make sure he was ok!

Russell was right over to Zhou last year in Silverstone, LeClerc also strikes me as the type who'd be straight out.

In fact, I reckon most of them are able to get out of their own heads in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

I think most drivers would. I remember Irvine jumping out to help Luciano Burti in Spa a few years ago, or Vettel stopping to check in on Norris at the same place a couple of years ago too. In reality though it's a very different era now in terms of safety - drivers are far less likely to be knocked out, cars are less liable to suddenly burst into flames and marshals are usually on hand much quicker and have better training so there's not really that much another driver would be able to do most of the time, they'd potentially just be getting in the way.

F1 made the right call for a change to call this off. As much as I would like to watch a race, no way should it happen when the area is in danger like that.

Fair play to the officials on this one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,904 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Given the situation - 100% the correct decision.

Always a meme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

According to Reddit / Twitter that photo was actually taken at the track this morning.

Yup, the whole area is basically a lake. The river beside the track burst its banks and that is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,899 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wonder how big an impact the race cancellation will have on Merc and their attempts to get back to being competitive. Imola was supposed to bring the first major upgrades, and be used to confirm their directions. Monaco is next up and while I don't doubt the same upgrades will be brought, I can't imagine hte data they would get at Monaco will be anywhere near as valuable as basically any other circuit. So will the effectively be two race weekends behind in their attempts now?

Not ideal for Mercedes. But Monaco won't be completely irrelevant either. They'll just have to make do with what they have.

Interesting to see Toto talking about life after Hamilton - I presume that means it's co tract negotiations time again. Hamilton is obvious till a top driver, but the difference in money between himself and Russell must be huge in comparison to the performance difference. I'd say Mercedes has the upper hand in the negotiation for the first time in years. Hamilton isn't current world champion anymore and it must be difficult to justify his enormous wages. I'm not sure who they would replace him with though.

Probably best to knock his wages down a bit next year and make them more performance based. And the look for a replacement in 2025

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭Hijpo

They were meant to be quickest in slow corners the last few races from what I remember. I think monaco would have been strong for them without the upgrades.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So what will be the plan now? Will they reschedule Imola or just consider it a writeoff?

They'll try to reschedule it. Otherwise they'll probably have to give back the ticket money. Could cost the track a fortune.

It's not likely they'll be able to reschedule. Pity the Chinese gp break wasn't late in the season. Might have been able to fit it in then.

• Advertisement

Something I hadn't realised is that Stefano Domilicani is from that neck of the woods so would it makes kind of sense he's protecting his "home Grand Prix"

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement