Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my calf’s navel ok?

• 16-05-2023 8:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

Hey everyone, I’ve a 2 + week old calf. Even though he was treated at birth, he developed a swollen navel. The cow would not stop licking his navel which didn’t help, so it never really dried up. He has had 2 courses of amoxicillin and anti inflammatory. It has reduced in size but what’s left now is a rotten navel chord. It has turned yellow and has a bad smell. Has anyone come across this before? Is there something I should do next or Will time be the best healer?

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If it has a bad smell then it is infected. Bathe it in warm salty water several times a day for several days. Ask your Vet for an appropriate antibiotic injection as well. Is the calf still sucking as sometimes an navel infection can put them off as well as been a gateway for joint ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 844 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Thanks for the input. I’ll get on to the vet again in the morning. Had a feeling something isn’t right about it but have seen nothing like it before.

Yeah calf is flying it so far. Fine calf and never showed signs of sickness. Hopefully he stays like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Base price

If the calf isn't showing any signs of illness then try bathing it's navel as I suggested above - you could also bathe it with a 5% concentration of Hydrogen Peroxide, either way - dry the area with paper towels and spray with blue spray or iodine each time. The old ways of treating these types of wounds/navel issues works as long as you're prepared to put in the effort. The other thing to take into consideration is that as the weather warms up like in the past few days then the blowflies will strike- bluebottles and greenbottles will be attracted to his smelly navel, have a feast, lay their eggs and no amount of antibiotic injections will prevent the destruction that the newly hatched larvae will do.

Advertisement