Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Varadkar Excuse (King Charles III Coronation)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I can't believe the whole coronation passed and I never got into a row with a disestablishmentarian

• Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I seem to recall he was picking his nose at that music festival too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

these are all distractions to get the population to talk about them so they keep their eyes and ears off the new Hate Speech legislation bill they have just passed through the Dail

its working well dont ya think?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

It’s basic manners. If he was caught once you think he’d be mindful of it. He’s representing the country and he can’t keep his finger out of his nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

haha people actually believe they orchestrated the entire situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I see Paddy Cosgrave has issued a "clarification" of his original tweet. Didn't recant his disgraceful reference to "primary partner", but tried to focus back on Varadkar.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

lets be honest, hardly anybody cares, it's a nothing burger, it should be downplayed and brushed over and it will be forgotten in a week.

our reputation over all is fine and will remain so, nothing to worry about, even the unelected individual at the centre of the nonsense event couldn't care a toss about it, that's how irrelevant this is.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I read online that Matt’s Twitter bio previously had (it’s been removed) a tagline that read in Irish “young, dumb, and full of cum”.

I have immediate family members who are doctors, I’ve worked in pharmaceuticals and in healthcare for years (I’m 50) and through all of the above know scores if not hundreds of medics. I’ve never encountered any doctor of any age who’d put anything as crude as that on a public platform. It really speaks to a lack of decorum and a failure to understand the prestige attached to his role, as well as how social media works. It’s one thing being crude in private, it’s an altogether different matter doing so publicly. To do that as a layperson indicates a lack of maturity, to do it as a medical professional almost defies belief. it’s very “ladish” behaviour, and tbh I just wouldn’t expect it from a medic given the seriousness of the profession.

Both Leo and Matt seem to share a lack of respect for what their chosen career paths represent and the responsibilities that come with the positions they hold.

I genuinely had high hopes for Varadkar when he first appeared on the scene. Needless to say the sheen wore off rather quickly and he continues to undermine himself through his behaviours.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

You know what outrages me ? The use of the phrase nothingburger. Seriously, where did this nonsense suddenly appear from ? It seems it’s the latest in vogue word. Just stop it. Please.

• Advertisement

I could not agree more; though I am curious as to whether it’s “nothing burger” or “nothingburger”, or are both acceptable. And by curious I mean I couldn’t care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

The only people "outraged" by it are anti monarchist far right apologists from what I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Somehow (and we both know this), I doubt you'd be as relaxed if it had involved a senior member of SF and/or their partner at a State event.

The efforts to downplay this just because it's Varadkar/FG are so transparent it's painful.

The bottom line is that regardless of party affiliation, when representing the country at an event like this you are expected to do nothing that might cause embarassment or controversy. This wasn't a procedural faux-pas, this was immature muppetry and if he/they can't behave themselves in an adult and professional way then they shouldn't be there.

If they have problems with being in the public limelight and having their antics scrutinised and commented on, then Leo can always resign and they can go back to the anonimity they supposedly crave (although they remind me more of the South Park swipe at Harry and Megan "We want privacy!")

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Not "outraged" at all. More annoyed that immature eejits like this are representing us at State level in a country that we have a lot of ties to and whose latest monarch seems to have a lot of admiration and respect for our country. Embarassing ourselves at such an event because the two boyz couldn't behave themselves was just unnecessary and only gives fuel to the negative stereotypes pushed by the Red Tops.

This nonsense about the "far right" is another idiotic thing we've imported from the US. This is IRELAND. We've always had idiots of every flavour but this narrative lately that we have some sort of extremist underbelly festering and spreading through society is laughable. We're one of the most relaxed, easy-going and accepting (some might say docile) people on the planet FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,239 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭trashcan

Exactly. Just imagine for a moment that it was Michelle O’Neill or her partner. Then you’d see real outrage. For the record, I’m not outraged, just think it was incredibly immature behaviour when representing this State at a State occasion in another country. I’m no monarchist either, far from it, but it’s about being professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Irish state may as well have sent "Zig and Zag" at least we'd expect some sort of stupid behaviour from them!

Yawn. blanch152 gets outraged. What its new about you defending any and every behaviour of a FG member?

So 50 is old btw? Pretty ageist of you.Oh but I forgot, you can criticize me (and become personal in your abuse), but I can't criticise Leo or Matt. Ok, got it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

You were the guy who tried to turn a discussion about race horses into a left vs. right thing.

Is there anything you don't view through a partisan lens?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

If Boris Johnson or Rishi Sunak's spouse mocked St Patrick's day ceremonies. The Twiterati would be going mad with accusations of racism, just like they did with the false allegations against Priti Patel and lies about threatening famine during Brexit talks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,858 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

I dont think anyone over the age of 18 would use that as a tagline on Twitter, but for a professional in the public field to have that is just utterly baffling.

Its like something Beavis and Butthead would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,099 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

some west brits as well.

they seem to have a belief that we need the approval of the british media and establishment and what they think in relation to us does and should matter.

personally it matters not a jot what the likes of the sun, daily mail, telegraph or the mirror, the british government or monarchy and it's supporters think about us.

we don't need their approval or praise, we are a strong independent country, lets show it for god sake.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I didn't know about the "young, dumb and full of cum" thing before. What a w*nker. Completely inappropriate for a consultant cardiologist to describe himself in such terms on social media - even if he had no connection with the Taoiseach of this country.

But but but Paddy Cosgrave...Russia....Sinn Fein....homophobia.

We can see a pattern here with his buddy also showing how much of a w*nker he is trying to be clever/edgy with his Mean Girls bet and other nonsense. The more he gets away with it, the more appropriate he'll think it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

There is definitely a huge element of West British neediness in this thread, a desperate urge for approval from the British Royal Family and the British media.

I don’t like Leo Varadkar’s policies, and I am continuously baffled by his emphasis on social media/millennial quirkiness despite the fact that he is an utter disaster at them and a charisma black hole.

I also don’t like how he still triumphs failed neoliberal policies years after history has already shown their shortcomings.

Nor do I like how he has imported British-style personal attacks on his critics like when he and Pearce O Doherty had their ruladh buladh in the Dáil some years ago and Varadkar referred to O Doherty’s arrest from the late 90s.

Fine Gael’s only saving grace at this stage is that there are no alternatives: Fianna Fáil having almost tried to bankrupt the country fifteen years ago and Sinn Féin’s rumours of being run by an unelected shadowy Army Council in Belfast means that they are a political party in name only.

Fine Gael in the past thirty years have created a corpocracy where the State absolutely have to bend to the whims of a small group of multinational corporations or risk having them pull out and lose thousands (millions?) of jobs, and billions in tax revenue.

This doesn’t take into account crises/disasters such as housing, health, education, the right of right wing extremism, mainstream racism towards travellers and so on and so forth. Leo Varadkar is not only the leader of one the parties responsible for all of these issues but he is still their loudest champion. He is incredibly out of time, a mid 2020s politician with mid 2000s solutions.

That being said, when one considers the history between the Irish and the British Royal Family then the fact that he and his partner didn’t show utter deference and participated in the coronation with tongue very much in cheek (and finger very much in nose) should be a triumph for anyone with Irish Republican leanings. Any right-minded Irish person should be throwing their heads back and laughing lustily at the image of a fellow son of Hibernia taking the piss at the King of England’s coronation.

Instead we have a load of pearl clutching west Brits in this thread sobbing when they imagine the disappointment their King must feel. Good little West Brits wolfing down a nothingburger.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,969 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The obsession with Varadkar's relationships is illuminating on the underlying thought processes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

Those horny-handed sons of the soil, lustily laughing at the trickery put upon the auld enemy.

Yeah that describes blanch152 and FGers like John Bruton to a T. Great contribution as always CGI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭nachouser

The "young, dumb" thing is a quote from the greatest action film of all time, the original Point Break, if memory serves. Its used to describe Johnny Utah early on in the film. Bit of pointless trivia for ya there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Another bit to go along;

- David Mamet, screenwriter and director of the movie "Heist" used that very phrase for either Danny DeVito or Gene Hackman's dialogue describing Sam Rockwell's character in the fillum. (Can't remember who exactly.) I worked on that movie. That was 10 years past Point Break, in 2001.

• Advertisement

You can be a Republican and know how to behave as a guest at an invited event. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

The alternative of course is that you can decline the invitation. Whilst this would be difficult/impossible for Leo, certainly Matt could have refused to go. You're giving them way too much credit now to paint this as an act of rebellion.

I also see that anyone criticising the pair now are not just homophobic, they're also West Brits. "Intriguing" as one of your broadcasting heroes is fond of saying.

Advertisement