Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much did Motorways improve the driving times

• 16-05-2023 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Meteor67

Hi,

Just had a discussion about the driving times from Dublin to other cities in the 'good old days'. How was it really? Driving through every little town must have been dreadful. But traffic was much less then now.

I would like to know how long it took driving with a lorry from Dublin to Cork, Kerry, Limerick, Sligo and Belfast in the early 80s and also in the late 90s/early 2000s.

Would be interesting to compare this with todays driving time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

At non-peak times it wasn't wildly worse - the speed limit increase on motorway versus national, and the on motorways for trucks/coaches in ~2012 or so will have had an impact too. But peak times - rush hour and particularly bank holiday weekends - were insanity.

In the 80s, people going to Galway used to stop for food/drink (literally drink in the bad old days, pints in Harrys) in Kinnegad after the harrowing time spent getting there through the towns on the way. Each bypass removed a potential half hour or so delay at peak times.

In the late 2000s I lost days of my life every year to Abbeyleix, Mountrath, Ballinasloe etc combined.

Used to take me well over 3h to get to Galway when the motorway ended at Kinnegad. Latterly took 90mins to the Galway Airport turnoff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Waterford to Red Cow is about 90 minutes. Telling Google to avoid the motorway and adjust to go through the centre of Naas adds an hour. But I feel like it used to be maybe a bit more than that, maybe 3 hours, but I can't remember for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

4 and a half hours Dublin to Kilmuckridge in the late 80s in a 1981 twin wheel Transit. Less than an hour now to Riverchapel, with Kilmuckridge a further 20 minutes or so.

(The Transit is long gone.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Driving to Derry from Cork used take me 9 hours minium

12 in bad weather

Used be hell , every village n town caught in,

Fermoy nightmare,Slane also.

Going through limerick and Ennis an experience 🫣

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

From Ennis to Dublin would take 4 hours, any less was a bonus. If you went the "main road" you'd be caught in Clarecastle, Newmarket, Limerick and every town, McDonald's opening in Nenagh was a great thing. Now you get on a motorway and you can expect to be at the Red Cow in around 2 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭whippet

I remember driving Dublin to West cork on a bank holiday Friday back in about 1998 and it was tortuous - probably about 7.5 hours all in.. 5 lads in a Nissan Micra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭WildWater

It's not just the improved time that has been of enormous benefit but also the predictability. Pre-motorway Galway - Dublin (or elsewhere) was pure guess work. Now you can predict it almost to the minute. A friend was coming from Dublin yesterday called to say she was leaving. I looked at my watch and said she’ll be her by 9:30. Rolled in about 9:27. Thanks to that consistency, coach services like the Galway - Dublin / Airport are an excellent service.

In comparison Galway to Cork is still a complete PITA. Galway to Patrickswell great. After that, well who the feck knows. Incredibly frustrating in comparison to Galway - Dublin.

I’m also old enough to remember (and by remember I mean drive) the pre Maynooth motorway days. On a Sunday night, traffic coming back from the west would be queued from Kilcock. 😵🤪🤯

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I remember spending six hours on a Bus Éireann coach, travelling from Dublin to Galway in 2004. An hour and a half of that was spent getting from one end of Moate to the other. Nobody should ever have to spend an hour and a half in Moate.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Dublin to Cork was easy 4.5 to 5 hours, cold be even more bank holiday or bad weather. 2 and a half hours now!

Also keep in mind that it is much less stressful crusing on a motorway, versus driving narrow, winding roads, getting stuck behind tractors/trucks, going through towns and villages, etc.

No comparison at all, complete game changer for our country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Immense difference. With the motorway I can be at the airport in under 45 minutes. In the past I could be 25 minutes alone going through one of the towns en route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

Dublin to Cork was 4 hours by road in the early 1990's and only 2h30ms by train which was way faster. Now the train takes 2h30m/2.40m which is comparable to the road journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭standardg60

Motorways are one aspect but cars are certainly another, growing up in the 80's anything that had over 100bhp was a supercar, and going over 40mph was going fast! We had a Mini and at a certain uphill T-Junction we had to get out so my dad could make it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Think of the jamups you see in Adare and Claregalway and Castlemartyr and add it to every village on the old routes. I remember the joys of 5 mile tailbacks at Monasterevin. Abbeyleix was a disaster of a place. Fermoy was a **** story. Ennis was dreadful, it felt like it never ended, then Gort gained the jamups. Outside of a Saturday and a Sunday it was just so wildly unpredictable as to be awful.

Edit: Or just drive the current N20 for a flavour of what the M18, M8, M9, M1, M11 used to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

Well re-adding Enniscorthy, Ferns, Camolin & Gorey to the Wexford - Dublin trip adds 25 minutes according to Google maps.

And that's today, when everyone isn't going through Enniscorthy, Ferns, Camolin & Gorey and creating massive tailbacks. Especially in Gorey which was a bloody nightmare.

I only vaguely remember the trip before parts of the current N11/M11 were built in Wicklow (although I do remember the old road through the Glenn of the Downs), but even with a couple of those in place it was still the thick end of 3 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You don't have to go back to the '80s or '90s for the old days.

The Ennis and Castleisland bypasses only opened in 2006, the Shannon tunnel in 2010 and Gort to Tuam in 2017.

When I first started doing Galway to Kerry 20 years ago you had.

The outskirts of Galway which were dual carriageway but still backed up.

Clarinbridge

Gort

Crusheen with it's 90 degree bend

Ennis with numerous rat runs around it, some of which started in county Galway and came out close to Shannon. You'd spend 30mins driving around country boreens east of Ennis and be delighted because you saved yourself 30mins.

Clarecastle if you didn't do the rural rods avoiding Ennis.

Thankfully Newmarket on Fergus was bypassed around 2002.

But then it was into Limerick and about 10 roundabouts from Caherdavin, over the river, down the Dock road, out Raheen.

Thankfully Patrickswell was gone but no sooner were you out of Limerick than you were in Adare.

Now it's the M6 and M18, M20 from the eastern suburbs of Galway all the way to Adare.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Mrs Dempsey

Things took a whole lot longer - every village was a chicane - the towns were road blocks. In 1975 I lived on the east coast & decided to head for Connemara for the Easter weekend. Got to Athlone & a big big tailback - was on a motorcycle so filtered through stationery traffic. Only one road bridge over the Shannon then - narrow streets leading to it from the east side. Got to the head of the queue to discover that the locals were re-enacting the crucifixion on the narrow street. A lot of cross drivers.

Other memorable road blocks - Dundalk, Portlaoise, Fermoy, Newbridge - things have improved. Easy to forget that while you dare drive through Adare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Gorey to celbridge was around 2hrs 50 mins on a good day. Its now 1hr 15 mins. Some differ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

There were partial improvements e.g. Dundalk had the inner relief road, Drogheda the Peace Bridge. These improved things for while, but in the 1990s as the economy took off there was much more traffic and places that were not a huge problem became much worse and it became very difficult to overtake. So the opening of the motorways made a big improvement from that point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,116 ✭✭✭Mech1

I have 2 story's, 1st was 1987 I lived in Belfast and had just passed my driving test.I decided to bring my girlfriend shopping in Dublin. We drove for hours towards Dublin, turns out the Belfast to Dublin charity cycle was on that day so it took forever to get as far as Dublin airport. Then heading towards Dublin city centre we came to realise that U2 were playing in phoenix park that day so drunk people, normal people and Garda all over the roads. We could hardly move the car, So I parked up for 30 seconds, had a piss down an alleyway, turned the car around and headed back to Belfast swearing that I would never return to Dublin. Turns out I moved to Dublin in 1996 and have been living here ever since.

About 2002 a friend of mine working for MSL motor distributers was given an instruction to collect 3 tractors from a cork show and bring them back to MSL Naas Road. He got the train down drove one up and a train back down for the next one. Got the job sorted on a Saturday and Sunday. Till this day I don't know how he could have the patience to-do it. He is retired now but a great guy who would have driven anything anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

On those old roads it was harder to overtake, and more dangerous. No central barrier.

These days it's much better. When it's quiet. When it's busy it can a lot worse. I've been 1.5 hours one day and 2.5 hours the next day. The dread as the red line appears in Google Maps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway to Dublin pre-motorway on public transport took long enough that you had to stay overnight.

Now it's a very convenient day-trip. It vastly improved what it's like to live in Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

This !!

The above timings are quite accurate.

Travelling from Dublin to Cork around 1990 the dual carriageway ended at the Nass bypass and didn't start again until Tivoli. Traffic lights and pedestrian crossings were encountered in Newbridge, Kildare, Monasterevin, Portlaoise, Abbeyleix, Durrow, Urlingford, Cashel, Cahir, Mitchelstown, Fermoy, Rathcormac, Watergrasshill and Glanmire (and probably a couple of other long forgotten holes). There was a stretch of passing/climbing lane between Mitchelstown and Kilworth that you often looked forward to with greater anticipation than your summer holidays. I vividly remember leaving Newbridge one wet November Friday night behind three articulated car transporters which were in turn following a jolly little camper van bobbing along without a care in the world at 50mph. I never hit the accelerator as hard as I did on the Kilworth Mountain passing lane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Fair play to Bertie and FF for the motorway network. It's one thing they did right.

There was an article in the Irish times a few years ago. They went to Spain to learn how to do it.

It must've had huge benefits for productivity and cost and time savings.

Although lots of businesses must have gone under.

I remember Kerry to Dublin we would stop in a cafe called Josephine's in Urlingford.

It closed in 2009

Lot of places that we used to stop for food are mostly gone now.

Never had an overnight train Dublin to Galway. Would have liked to tried that.

We did do knock in a day. Bit of a miracle looking back at it.

Thought it was mostly paid for by EU money. Use it or lose it kinda of a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭alentejo

I suspect there are many people alive today whom would have died in traffic accidents pre the motorway era. The no of fatalities per motorway mile is a lot less than the roads they replaced.

EU contribution to that NDP was tiny. Not the 80% that the 90s roads got

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Dublin - Galway 25% faster at least, Dublin Killarney probably 30% faster.

But more importantly - a MUCH easier drive, and a MUCH safer drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Dublin to Galway you used to have to turn left at a chipper in I think it was kinnegad, so on the reverse journey you hit a T junction so had to wait on a break in traffic to turn right.

the upside was great places to get a breakfast instead of soulless motorway stations.

M8 only opened in the last 15 years. There was plenty of traffic then.

Could take 5 hours to go from Dublin/Cork on a Friday night Vs 2.5 now.

The only issue causing delays now is the constant hogging of the outer 2 lanes, at Naas bypass, and the chronic under policing of that stretch of road

You're forgetting a few alright, north of Mitchelstown!

Rathcormac/Fermoy still get choked at times because if that ridiculous toll (Don't care what people say, at the very minimum HGV needs to be toll free)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

7.5 hours from UCD to Caherciveen if you didnt stop.

Now it takes about 4.5 hours without stopping.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,694 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I arrived back in Ireland on a holiday about 15 years ago, and rented a car. The first thing we did was drive from Dublin airport to Limerick city, and as we hit the N7 there was a sign saying Limerick 197km (or something close to that) and I joked to my wife that 'if we keep it at 100km an hour, we'll be there in 2 hours'. Joked, as I had in mind the endless roundabouts around Nenagh in particular.

But sure enough, all of that was gone, and there was a motorway the entire way to Castletroy in Limerick, and we arrived about 1 hour and 50 minutes later.

So much faster, easier, and safer.

Consider that experience and the Limerick-Cork experience through Buttevant and the likes, and with farmers stopping the traffic so that cows can cross the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,797 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Motorways really opened up the entire country making trips between places much more straight forward even if the place you were going to wasn't specifilly on a motorway.

We used to travel West Mayo to Dublin - was a 6 hour drive passing through every single town and village en-route, tailbacks of traffics at various locations. Getting out of Dublin on a Friday evening, tailbacks in Maynooth etc While the last portion of the journey hasn't gotten any more convenient the rest of it has and its dooable in less than 4 hours.

I know a lot of people in parts of Mayo now go south via Tuam and motorway network from there as the journey time is more predicable despite massive improvements being made on the "traditional" route East.

Laterally would have done Galway-Dublin on a semi regular basis and going through Loughrean, Craughwell, Ballinasloe was tough going.

Can do Lucan to Galway city now in 1hr 50 odd - would have taken 3+ depending on traffic and longer again when there was no motor way to Athlone.

As others have said, its the predictibility that has really helped. You know how long it will take you from A to B ans there are far less variables in play from A to B.

Still a few bits to be done - Limerick Cork, General improvements from Charlestown to Sligo and you open up many more parts of the country.

It was still everywhere but it was for something like 6%.

It's grand if you get a clear run.

Noticeably worse getting out and around Dublin these days. M50 seems to have constant traffic jams.

I find driving on motoways utterly boring to the point of putting me to sleep. But really fantastic to get places.

• Advertisement

Good to know. I'm sure Bertie will be taking all credit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

I remember Cork-Dublin being 4.5-5 hours alright. In the late 2000's I remember doing 3 round trips between Cork and the Northside of Dublin in two days, and each trip was around 6 or 7 hours and I thought that was just unbelievably good at the time!

I do Cork to Ballina, Sligo, Westport etc a bit and it's still harrowing on the N20 section, but it's come down from a 9 hour round trip to just over a 7 hour round trip at good times.

I want to re-state that the N20 particularly still needs to be done. Cork-Limerick is totally unpredictable, and can vary quite a lot from around 80 minutes to 150 minutes. Cork-Waterford isn't all dual and it's not perfect but it's a damn sight better than it was. What was 4 hours to Rosslare is now around 2.5!

Some individual stretches were more impactful than others: The Jack Lynch Tunnel, Ballincollig bypass and Shannon tunnel for instance. But I can barely remember how we coped before the M50.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

anyway, i used to do a goodd bit of driving around the country in 1999 and 2000, dell field service role. nice memories of spending 20 or 30 minutes at a time driving through skeheenarinky and the like. it taught me a habit i've not broken, that i'm not a fast driver - because your journey time is generally determined not by how fast you'd go on the fast bits, but how slow you'd go on the slow bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,413 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Yep that looks like it alright. When I was an apprentice we used to go up and down to Galway regularly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Used to get the bus from Ennis to Dublin quite a bit. Took forever and the driver had to stop for a rest break in Borris-In-feckin-Ossery every single time. A hellhole with nothing but a petrol station and a wierd hotel thingy with a tuck shop that everyone got stranded in for 30 minutes each way on every trip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Yeah, doing 100mph for 20 minutes would get totally eaten up by a single traffic light turning red just as you arrive at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I rememeber someone on here a few years ago saying that they rocked up to possibly Larne with a large crane that had to be delivered to Killarney somewhere. Back in the 80s possibly. Based on the equivalent distance in the UK, they estimated it would take at least 5 hours to deliver.

It took 14.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭BrentMused

I had to do Dublin Airport to Rosslare Harbour last week.

It took me 1 hour and 35 minutes, adhering to the speed limit all the way.

It used to be a semi-regular trip for me and back then would take an extra 45-60 minutes prior to the M11 Enniscorthy to Gorey bypass during busier times.

Back before motorways, it would easily take 3.5 hours on a good day.

Once the new N11/N25 Oilgate-Rosslare Harbour bypass is operational, you could realistically do Rosslare Harbour to the Airport in about 1 hour and 15 minutes on a quiet day/night. 😮

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There were 2 people killed by trucks in Charleville in the last 2 weeks. Motorways have a human element as well as a driving time one

• Advertisement
Advertisement