Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Avgeek bucket list

Options
  • 16-04-2023 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Comon folks, bring out that bit of AV Geek in you. Seen AF1 ticked off a major tick on my Aviation bucket list. I have one more but before I reveal, whats yours?, and what have you ticked off on your list?

I know boards.ie is viewed and used world wide, one of you, somewhere in the world flew Concorde.....

Its a disgrace Joe!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Noxegon

I never flew Concorde, but I did fly the IL62M. The noise of those engines (turn the speakers up, starting about 0:55....)

I develop Superior Solitaire when I'm not procrastinating on boards.ie.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

I want to visit the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio.

The Paris Airshow and/or Farnbourough also pitential trips one day.

A flight in a warbird would be another bucket list item.

As would a visit to Duxford.

So far my favourite in person sightings would be;

Avro Vulcan in the air.

Witnessing the 2nd last Shuttle launch.

Being 500 metres from a Sea Harrier as it shows off.

Seeing/feeling Concorde take off from LHR.

The Red Arrows always entertain (except last year of course!!)

Post edited by Tenger on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

And that’s from inside the plane? Incredible sound. Mind me asking what airport You were taking off from? Pyongyang?

Really appreciate You sharing this.

It's not my video, but it's representative of my experience. I flew on it from Beijing to Pyongyang – the return flight was on the Tu-204, which was interesting but fundamentally characterless compared to the old Ilyushin :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭cml387

I did witness Concorde training in Shannon when the unofficial viewing point was within 50 yards of the turning pan at the end of 24.

Added picture:

The sound was physically painful, but a fantastic experience. I wandered down to the point on the perimeter road which is directly under the approach as it came in....but chickened out (I know).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

I remember that spot well. If you were within 50 yards, you were well inside the fence. 😮 I measured the distance on GE and it's about 200 yards. I saw a BA Concorde departing for Barbados on a very wet day (they used to fuel-stop at SNN) - a suitably noise- and spray-filled event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

Highlights for me:

• Seen a Nimrod (think Comet), Concorde, Vulcan and F-111s fly
    • Been in a Tu-144 (and in 5 Concordes)
    • Done Farnborough
    • Done RIAT
    • Flown in a DH-84 at Duxford
    • Sat in a Vulcan cockit

Want to do:

• EE Lighting fast run
    • Paris, Berlin and Radom Air Shows
    • Air & Space Museums in Washington
    • Dayton, EAA & Moscow museums
    • ME262 in RIAT next year is VERY tempting
    • See flying: Mossie, An-225 (I know), A1 Skyraider, 737-200 for the memories, Mig 21 and 25, Connie, F4 or F6, Corsair I and II, B29 & B36, B52 - and I could go on

Glad to see you mentioned the plural for Washington DC!!!

Hadn't heard about an Me262 for RIAT next year. That's my plan for a solo weekend sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,691 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Is it a real Me262 or a replica?

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've tried to tick off some of the types that are getting harder to fly on.

I'm fairly sure my first ever flight as a kid was on a DC9; but I made sure to get an MD80 when you could do DUB-CPH on them. Ventral air stairs boarding and all. Makes sure I'm not relying on a possibly wonky memory!

Flew the MD11 to YUL in its last year with KLM; picked up the F50 with Amapolaflyg last year DUB-CFN.

Of the now more obscure stuff still flying that I didn't need to seek out I have the obvious enough set of obscurata for Irish based passengers - BAe 146/ARJ, 737 Jurassic (200), Saab 340, ERJ135, Jetstream, Islander. Too young to get a Shorts.

Probably not going to get a F70/100 or Saab 2000 now; and I've also let the Metroliner, Triislander (had actually proper plans to go on one but had to cancel!), Boeing 717 and BAe ATP go while there were still European operators.

• Advertisement

If they ever run it again I plan to go to the Wonsan Air Show and do pleasure flights on a bunch of Tupolevs.

A ROMBAC-111 in 1989 Ryanair DUB - MUC, it was pretty ramshackle. My friend's air vent didn't work the stew told him to leave it alone as it might cause a decompression!?! 😮

In 2000 I flew DUB - BCN on Iberia in the dying days of the 727 (in AerSpace-style business class! Paid for by my work, this was exremely exceptional.) Those engines had some shriek off them but being as far forward from them as was possible made it a non-issue, and the endless cava was soothing too...

2003 I was scheduled to fly DUB - BHX on an EI BAe 146 but predictably it went tech and we flew on a 737 with a small delay. 3 engines and a hot spare.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Lucky enough to close to SNN and was a very frequent visitor there whenever anything interesting flew in.

Concorde, both at SNN in its full throated glory and a walkthrough next to the USS Intrepid when on honeymoon. The Intrepid also ticked off quite a few must see from my list. F14, A12(SR71), A6, A1, A4, F4, Mig 17, Mig 21, F3, Harrier, F16, Kfir amongst the stand outs along with a huge range of helicopters too.

Also did the shuttle tour there and the USS Growler tour with regulus missiles.

I have the Davis Monthan boneyard tour on my bucket list. There is a 3hr tour once a month 😉 I will probably make RIAT a stop this year. Duxford and Yeovil are on the list too for the next couple of years. Also stumbled across a military air museum at Burgas airport in Bulgaria a few years ago.

The one due at RIAT is a replica built to original drawings. Powered by GE CJ610s.

There is one undergoing restoration and expected to fly soon with Jumo 004 engines soon AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Highlights

RAF Tornado looooow level in a small valley near Fort William when I was 14. Never forget it.

In the cockpit of an AN124

The 2 Spanish F18's here in 2017, got up close and personal.

Jump seat into LCY in a BAE146, talk about nose diving.

Swiss F5 flying up the Kandersteg valley and going vertical climbing out of the valley, again a lifetime memory.

Want to see

A-10 Warthog... preferably with that big gun unloading.

Irish fast jets..... feels like we are creeping closer to something in the future.

Well thats a bollx. Will just have to do the Smithsonian, The Seattle museum of flight, Oshkoshand a few more of the US museums will be added to my bucket list then.

I think my one of a kind experience would be cockpit visit to the Russian shuttle prototype back in 2001. (Not Buran itself, but an orbital test vehicle.

Mig-25 control yokes and Mig25 ejection seats.

Oddly enough it was on display in Sydney!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OK-GLI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭b318isp

I was in that - another highlight I'd forgottten.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭notuslimited

A nice thread and it got me thinking. 3 things that go in my favour (in terms of experiences) is that I’m 54 so have been around a little; work in Finance so travel a lot, and have a very understanding wife. Some memories (as they come to mind).

Aged 12 - my first ever flight ( travelled with my older 18 year old brother) EI 747 DUB/SNN. Flew back same day after some plane spotting in SNN on BAC1-11. Loved the trip above so much that I bought my own ticket aged 12 for the DUB-SNN return Again on EI 747 and back to DUB on EI 737-200. EI ground staff in SNN collected me as an Unaccompanied Minor. They walked me back through security and left me in Departures in SNN to catch the return leg.

I was an avid plane spotter in DUB and could be found every Sat and Sun (and sometimes midweek) on the mezzanine level in DUB. On a few occasions I asked the Aer Turas guys if I could take a look at their planes. If things were quiet the guys there would be happy to drive you out to the Britannia for a tour.

Aircraft that I have flown on:

B717, B727, B737 (all series bar the 900 and Max series), B747 (all series bar the 743 - this included a UA747SP from HNL to NRT), B757, B767, B777, B787, DC-3… pleasure flight over London with a friend (now an FR captain), DC-9, MD80, MD82, Tristar, AIRBUS A300, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A346, A350, A380, Shorts 330/360, Saab 340, Fokker 50, Fokker70, BAE146, Twin Otter, C152, C206, PA28, Augusta Bell 206.

I’ve travelled all over the world to look at planes, every continent and lots of museums. This Sept I am visiting the USAF museum in Dayton, Ohio. I’ve been to Area 51, I’ve done the Arizona boneyards and AMARG tour as well as catching a Space Shuttle lift off at Cape Canaveral. Currently taking about 70 flights per year for work.

Post edited by notuslimited on

• Advertisement

Oh, that makes me jealous. AMARG, Arizona, Area 51 AND Dayton!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Should be making a visit to the Museum of Flight in Seattle later this year while I'm in the states. Just planing flights at the moment as it will be a day trip from LAS.

Already been to the HARS museum south of Sydney a few years back.

I didn't know it was part of my bucket list, but over the weekend while walking on Howth Head I heard the distinctive sound of A220 whale song from the skies. Thank you Air France :)

Linked from the above video, nice comparison of a CFM56 with PW1100G, takeoff and cruise.

Certainly some historically very significant Boeing aircraft, and a special mention for the Super Constellation out front. The large aircraft that are now under a roof structure are very tightly positioned, though, so for me that detracted a bit from the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

About half a day should be sufficient unless you really want to study every exhibit in detail, but it's a matter of personal preference so I wouldn't want to be too prescriptive. I forgot to mention the World War One and WW2 sections, which have some beautiful aircraft too.

Of course, because you are at Boeing Field, where 737s are prepared for delivery, taking a bit of time for a snoop around can be interesting. We were there a year ago and there were still forty or so 737 MAXs in a company car park across the road from the airfield, though this may have been depleted somewhat by now. Many of the aircraft had been intended for Chinese operators and I think are now being placed with other customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,678 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I do wish my A220 experience wasn't somewhat coloured by having to sue AirBaltic for costs for insanely delayed baggage afterwards. They offered a fiver a day!

They paid me in full + the court fees when they realised I wasn't taking the piss about taking them to court, took 13 months end to end though.

Did the Museum of Flight in 2014, best bit was talking to one of the volunteer guides outside the Concorde. He was one of the first - I think he said he was possibly the second, but not "the" first - black engineers in Boeing and had worked on the 747 testing with EI as a launch customer in Shannon.

Concorde and the Presidential 707 were the aircraft that were open that day, I think more of them are open these days with the roof in place - they needed to arrange covered steps and staff/volunteers when it was still outdoors.

I was going to go to McMinniville but ended up having hideous nosebleeds that confined me to the gaff for a day, the amount of pressurisation cycles on my way over there probably didn't help (my trip was DUB-AMS-YUL-EWR-IAH-PDX, for catching the MD11 and then weather disruption)

Advertisement