Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW ID.4

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭cannco253

No the car didn’t warn , once they got into the car and dropped the key into the cup holder (with the key symbol) it gave the low battery warning.

the 12v battery replacement has nothing to do with the HV battery check . My guess is that when I had the 12v change and 2.4 installed either the dealer didn’t have the experience of dealing with the battery check or the service check wasn’t showing on the car at that time. Either way I’ll ask for it to be done in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭n.d.os

I disagree. I was at a circle k the other day and there was 5 ID4s charging in a row. At first I thought it was a VW meeting. I swear EVs have a homing signal to attract like for like cars at charging centres. Last time I was there it was three Polestar 2's in a row.

The ID4 drivers ranged from a cool looking young family in a GTX to a hipster dad, an old couple and a sharp dressed business man. I've never found the ID4 to be conservative. Quite the opposite actually. It is very much an early adopter EV and most people buy it for the space and commanding looks. It's been around a while and a lady who I was speaking to that leases EVs told me the ID4 is selling so well because it's the easiest EV to get a hold of in her business and every company in Ireland is prioritising it for their company car fleet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,356 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I agree, there seems to be this perception among other car owners that people who buy ID.4s are just settling for less and live a life of perpetual misery while yelling at the infotainment screen

I don't think VW would be selling so many of them if it was a bad car, and I think it's safe to say that the majority of owners are happy with their purchases. Yeah we all have our complaints but when you spend upwards of €50k on something then the flaws can be a bit more annoying

One thing I have noticed is that VW seem to have pulled in a bunch of new customers with the ID cars, but those customers don't have the same brand loyalty as your typical Golf buyer. I know people who will only ever buy a Golf because that's the car they know and love

I think a bit of brand disloyalty is actually a good thing, it means a company can't just sit still and know their customers will keep coming back regardless of whatever crap they're selling. A bit of pressure on the dealership network is also a good thing to keep them on their toes

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I think brand loyalty is an older persons things. I think the current generation wouldn’t be as loyal anymore. I like the ID4 and also the Hyundai Ioniq 5. Only thing that has me out of them is the lack of performance models.

It’s hard looking at a 170bhp Ioniq 5 when my old i3 had that. And even the GTX ID4 with 300bhp is not enough. Spoilt 😃

Great to have the choice though. My old M5 was often confused for a 520d so performance models are not for everyone.

• Advertisement

Yeah I agree the performance ID cars aren't really at the same level that other brands are achieving. The 300hp GTX is a bit vanilla compared to the likes of the EV6 AWD GT version or Polestar 2 with performance pack

At least they're going the right way with the new motor, looks like the ID.7 GTX will be more like 390hp

I assume the longer term plan is that the premium brands like Audi and Porsche will have a performance version of the platform with more power

I guess VW don't want the plebs getting ideas of driving fast cars 😔

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

the Tesla buyer is massively brand loyal - indeed I’d go as far as to say that a disproportionate number aren’t buying ‘an EV’, they’re buying ‘a Tesla’.

reinforced by the number trading out of their 3 into a Y - which from a brand marketing perspective is actually a negative as it reduces the proportion of new people to the brand.

there’s probably not one other marque with a similar worldwide brand loyalty anymore. There will always be localised loyalty, like an American who is always ‘a ford guy’ etc etc.

the Tesla thing is worldwide.

I partly disagree with the idea that people trading from a 3 to a Y is bad for Tesla

Yes they miss some Model 3 sales from people buying second hand, but they probably wouldn't have sold to them anyway (at least before the price cuts)

But I think Tesla are pretty good at getting money out of second hand buyers, through things like Supercharging premium connectivity and performance upgrades. Not to mention the whole FSD thing, which frankly seems like a scam

They do command some pretty strong brand loyalty, particularly in the US. I think this is largely down to the Supercharger network there, which is still way beyond Electrify America

Every EV has its pros and cons and I really enjoy talking to people at charging stations about their cars.

What I like about the ID4 is that it looks like an EV. They did a great job with the lights front and back and on the road I find myself glancing at them going, thats a classy but understated car. They also sound great. Too many EVs sound like remote control cars these days so it's nice that VAG put some thought into the sound they pump out of their vehicles.

I've always said the infotainment thing was over exaggerated. Yes, it's a bit slow and not as good as what you get on other cars but the layout is very intuitive and easy to follow.

I'd actually put the Model Y and the ID4 in the same box. Nice big interiors and similar styling cues on the exterior. The ID4 scares the s**t out of old school VW customers. It's purely a family car that doesn't warrant the kind of over analysis and criticism it gets online. It's a fine car and better than its SUV predecessors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭sk8board

I find the id4 to be a very good looking car. Definitely better looking exterior to the Y.

but then I’m a bonified minimalist, so the Y’s interior wins that race for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,680 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

A what? 🙈

I was never a fan of Tesla until the model Y came out. I think it looks great. I like SUVs though. It's a very interesting shape in my opinion. Id like to see it in more colours and for the bigger wheels to be available in silver and not just black. I think the black wheel thing has had its time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

anyone else getting more frequent emergency breaking when parking with their id4? happened me again yesterday while parking.. jammed on breaking going forward while trying to park.. nothing close.. wife not impressed!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,514 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Yeah I turned maneuver braking off, it was wrecking my head. I'm going to have to rely on my reflexes to not crash into a tree while parking

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭micks_address

does it turn on each time you start the car? whats the setting under?

I forgot to check the exact place but it's under the Assistance menu

It stays off after turning the car off, but I think it reset after the 3.0 update

Has anyone found a changelog for 3.0 to 3.2?

Been googling and so far I've found the following:

• Plug and charge is enabled
    • Better route planning, can select how king you want to wait at each charger
    • Spotify and Apple music apps were mentioned in the ID Buzz press release, but users say there isn't anything in the shop

And there's also the stuff from 3.1

• Trip meter in Speedo display
      • Charging power in kW now
      • Better AR animations
      • Filter chargers in satnav

I might see if I can book the car in for an update soon and see how it goes

EDIT: Once again the bulleted list in boards has failed me 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭rocketspocket

Nein, OTA to 3.0 was cancelled because it was causing so many problems with the older cars

So the latest update is that all cars below 3.2 will be updated in the garage and apparently OTA is vastly improved from that point onwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

got mine updated to 3.2 there and it is a lot better.

It has all the stuff mentioned above, better integration with android carplay

and it has a bi-directional charging option. could be very interesting.

Also, the dash lightbar now indicates which lane to be in when navigation is being used. Groovy.

might be my imagination, but the regen braking seems a little more aggressive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Has anybody downloaded the automatic main beam lights from the shop? Very good I must say

• Moderators Posts: 12,374 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

What now? You mean auto dip lights? You've to buy that from a shop now? Joke

Bidirectional charging is DC bidirectional. You need a DC bidirectional charger. Basically never going to happen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Seems like a bad omen. Free for now I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,184 ✭✭✭pad199207

I thought all ID 4’s already have auto main beam assist?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Liam2021

High beam assist available to purchase in shop.

1 month €5

1 year €48

Unlimited €189.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

The VW elli charger is capable. might cost a bit to get it fitted, but it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Comer1

I assume this is only for the Life which does not have this feature?

Advertisement