Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭denismc

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Seanmadradubh

For the last 15 months "some people" have been saying interest in Ukraine will waver, yet we have gone from supplying helmets, NLAWs and Javelins to Patriot systems, Storm Shadows, some quite spicy tanks and now the realistic possibility of F-16s, hmmm me thinks "some people" don't know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

In fairness the glacial Russian advance at the minor town of bahkmut contrasts starkly to the 100 km long convoy that was stretched all the way into Kiev from the border last March and then you had much more dramatic incidents like the sinking of the Moskva the massacre of bucha the occupation of Chernobyl the blowing up of nordstream the collapse of the Kharkiv front etc etc. looking back at the history of world war 2 there were a lot of lulls and and quiet periods over the six years punctuated by dramatic incidents. War is ceratainly not full on sustained drama 24/7. Russia needs a new injection of supplies and support from outside to get back to the dramatic offensives of early last year and there is no sign of that coming right now. Likewise Ukraine is being supplied in an incredibly finely calibrated piecemeal fashion just to keep the Russians at arms length but not to deliver anything like a knockout blow or dramatic advance. It is incredibly tedious and frustrating to observe and of course people with attention span deficit have long deserted this war as an everyday news consumption. This has worked out in Russias favour from a propaganda standpoint. War fatigue is what they want . But if they are to achieve any of their goals in Ukraine they are going to have to cross that line again and return to the reprehensible actions that characterised the early days of this war. And they will find that the response will be the same again despite their propaganda. 20th century industrial scale mass brutality has no place in the 21st century and can not be obscured or partially hidden away like it was then. The Russians really have been shown to be pathetically 80 years behind the curve on that issue.

Post edited by 20silkcut on

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

We haven't supplied anything but MREs and a few pieces of body armor,

But the majority of people don't care about ukraine or anything to do with ukraine,

That's shows interest has already waivered ,and only a handful of countries has given ukraine weapons including EU states

Gatling, By we I mean those of us with unwavering support for Ukraine, and we are supplying and will continue to supply Ukraine with everything they need until they win. My "we" is obviously bigger than yours.

• Advertisement

Nice piece here by Mark Hertling (no paywall).

Quote: I predict Zaluzhny and his forces will eventually liberate most — if not all — of the land occupied by the Russians in this offensive. I know the Ukrainian army, and I also know the Russian army, and there is no doubt in my mind that will be the ultimate result of this offensive campaign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

There are a lot of people, like myself that have read practically every post in these threads since this invasion started, but seldom posting. This is a great source of information and posters like yourself do help the debate, nobody wants an echo chamber.

There is little doubt that western powers understand the importance of putting a country like Russia back in its box, support for Ukraine won't be drying up any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Gerry T

Unless you count your daily report to your comrade boss of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Hopefully a shipment of pickups, jeeps, generators, going from farmers in Ireland, UK in the next few weeks again.

Don't mind the apathy talk and spreading apathy from others. Europe is in this for the long haul. This is the deadliest conflict waged by a Russian dictator in living history.

In years at your deathbed when the full account of Russian atrocities is out and Ukraine is lauded by all as a member of Europe. Do you want to be remembered as the person that did nothing who turned "Russian" and tried to excuse themselves for it.

No this is the greatest conflict in Europe since ww2. Russia spreads apathy in Europe. Russia spreads internal ferments in Europe. Russia knows it's days are coming home to roost. Hence the ratcheting up of above.

Ye know ye're own minds. Putin wins with European apathy and spreading apathy on social forums.

My donation and others will be going there shortly.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Just because people aren't talking about it doesn't mean they aren't interested or supportive of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,065 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

People may not be discussing it openly but many are aware of what is going on and concerned that Europe needs to put a stop to the expansionist plans of Putin's regime. I don't detect any great criticism of the costs associated yet.

As for participation on this thread Gatling, with respect you may have something to do with this. As you seem determined to pick a row with many other posters who differ from your current narrative, leading to thread bans for several. Other posters no doubt read these silly spats and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

Welcome to a discussion forum,I'm not here to whore for likes , ukraine for some is nothing more than a trend #slavi Ukrani, people will move on I've been following and posting about ukraine for the last 10 years and likely will be still posting about ukraine in another ten years ,

People getting banned that's nothing to do with me take it up with the mods or start a thread, troll's be trolls welcome to the internet,I've been on this thread since day one ,and few others who make up the absolute majority of the posts whether it be an informed well put together opinion or parroting social media,

For instance we can celebrate 200,000 dead Russians while at the same time realizing that likely means 150,000 dead Ukrainians there is several people who have zero interest in anything but what they read on social media,

But welcome to the internet wiki and social media

Post edited by Gatling on

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭AerLingus747

I can see how they all fall into place (especially if Draken get involved), except France.... unless there's a side deal for Mirages in process (which is very much a possibility now Rafale's are taking their place)... which, coincidently, involves a procurement by Draken also..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

There is nothing to discuss. Ukraine is a rare topic of conversation because everyone I know has the same opinion. Russian's government are still scumbags? Don't need to have that discussion on a daily basis to still support more weapons going to the Ukrainians. There is just not much to discuss unless you want to get into the nitty gritty of missile systems, most people just see it as more weapons heading over and think grand.

I remember when Europe was meant to back off in the winter due to a reliance on Russian gas. Well it is now the following summer and Ukraine still stands tall against the Russians. The weapons are not going to stop heading over to help the Ukrainians.

Now it is apathy and what happens in the US presidential election in a year and a half. I think they realised giving too solid a date in the short term just results in being proven wrong quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

"For instance we can celebrate 200,000 dead Russians while at the same time realizing that likely means 150,000 dead Ukrainians"

Just out of curiosity what sources did you base this invention of the figure 150,000 on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭zv2

610 soldiers + 95! pieces of equipment destroyed yesterday.

“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” — Voltaire

Losses have been claimed by intelligence sources at 1:1 -1-1.8 , compared to on here the claims were 1-10 losses in Ukraines favor

How many Ukrainian soldiers do you think have died,

• Advertisement

Yes we're were all going to be frozen to Death in our beds and at the time we had people on here crying about it ,and demanding Ukraine surrender or let Russia keep the occupied territories,

I never agreed and or suggested it ,it was me who said Crimea or nothing when it comes down to the end game , weapons are arriving slowly, in cases painful slowly even to the point the likes of the president of the Czech republic has publicly stated they are low on certain ammunitions especially artillery,we know Ukraine was promised 1 million rounds of artillery for this year we're halfway through may and they Europe are still discussing it ,the elections in America could cause well cause problems in the mid to long term depending on how things play out for all we know Biden won't live long enough to see out another term, apathy will be an issue but with the cost of living crisis, inflation and other local issues which could cause the biggest problem in the longer term especially when people start asking why our money is been sent to Ukraine in weapons which then have to be replaced and the while people are struggling to put food on their tables ,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭macraignil

Would you like to share who these intelligence sources you are referring to are and maybe provide some links so others can see you are not just pulling this information out of your XXX?

While you are at it could you give a stab at how they have access to data the armed forces of Ukraine are after saying they will not disclose and why we should believe them rather than those directly involved in the conflict in their own country?

No idea what your talking about.

Don't think anyone other than a few trolls believe the Ukrainans are incompetent and have zero morale,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Patriots getting hit in kiev is still mostly irrelevant, at the end of the day the fighting in donbass and zaporozhia will be the deciders

• "I've been following and posting about ukraine for the last 10 years"

Can I ask you as a matter of interest, (not that it really matters either way) have you ever been to Ukraine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Akabusi

@Gatling

The main reason you gave yesterday for peoples interest/support waning was the cost of living crisis and rising inflation. Inflation is coming down, granted its still high but it is going in the right direction. In the Eurozone it peaked at 10.6% last October, it is now at 7%. The USA's inflation peaked at 9% and is now at 5%. On the other hand the UK's inflation has not really reduced - was a high of 11% in October also and still stubbornly high at 10% but they are increasing support if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

Biden is unlikely to die in the next 6 years and we'll that is a long time for Russia to keep this war going in any case. He is old but he is still pretty healthy for his age.

Yes European politicians will take a while to do anything. That is always the way and the price of democracy. The Ukraine won't get 1 million shells but they will get some of it.

We already have a cost of living issue the amount of weapons to Ukrainians won't fix it and politicians know it. Conceding would be far worse for their image at this stage making them look weak.

A stronger support would save more lives but there isn't a chance that Russia can out produce the west. Their best chance was to win quickly and they failed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭weisses

Stop pulling numbers out of your arse ... You were asked where you base these numbers on ...What intelligence source claims a 1:1 ratio for losses ??

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The problem is that a million shells is only about 2700 a day, even if guided, it's nothing in reality.

Ukraine's firmest allies in the Baltics have pointed out that shell production needs to be multiplied by 7 at least.

The Ukrainian Ministry of Defence has pointed has pointed out the ammunition shortfall many times. These are not anti Ukrainian people.

Training Ukrainian forces in Western planes is very welcome, they should have been trained last summer, and have the planes months ago.

There is 2 problems. Much of the West wants to give just enough to Keep them going and most of the West still hasn't bothered ramping up arms production as a vital strategic interest.

The West is short of ammunition just supplying against the poorly led and resourced Red Army of Russia.

What about the much more serious bigger Communist brother in China, the Kremlin's key ally and a growing significant global threat.

It really is past time for most of Europe to take this seriously.

Russia can't outproduce the West, if the West makes any effort at all. That's not happening though, maybe next year or the year after.

• Advertisement

3 times,not my favorite place in world to visit twice for 10 days at the time and a 5 day trip,

Checkpoints , if you have been you would understand

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement