Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭sligopaul

I have an IMOW and fitted these as I had traction issues around the perimeter , due to repeated driving to and from the docking station. I found they tore up the perimeter more so then removed them and refitted the original wheels, these are however less invasive then those you have linked as are plastic. I then went and bought some stone and filled in the areas in my border where I had traction problems and that has worked better

https://lawnmowerpartsonline.ie/product/art-2200-traction-wheel-set-69097000425?gad=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw9pGjBhB-EiwAa5jl3Atvzg-mnzJgRe44204DH2uojur2NqaiB4CbpH6Adl_83huAT8RzKBoCKFwQAvD_BwE

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Out of interest were you waiting long for delivery. Have one ordered from there myself

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pelliven

Above comment meant for wexfordman2 about robocleaners

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Thanks for your reply. Did your Imow have any problems docking with the metal spiked wheels?

What do you think of the Stihl Imow overall? I can't see me buying another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I'll have a robot lawnmower coming up in 2 weeks - Parkside for €200, prob need to buy a separate battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,898 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Not sure it will be any good ? Here is a guy on Youtube who had 2 fail pretty much out of the box for him. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XC2_J87iiU

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭sligopaul

Hi Ginger , as mentioned the wheels I highlighted and bought were plastic and are the genuine Stihl enhanced traction wheels

In terms of would I buy another one, mine has been fine and the agent has been pretty good, would have preferred a Huski if agent was near by

Interstingly my agent has now moved to sell Ambrogio

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Oh I get you now about the wheels.

That is interesting about your dealer because my dealer only seems to have Husqvarnas advertised now and any videos only show installations of Husqvarnas. It's not a good look for a Stihl dealer not wanting to sell a Stihl product is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Which one did you go for?

They have an install option on the website, do you know if it is valid for Ireland?

The clown installed the base station entirely wrong. Not sure how seriously to take his video. Huge amount of effort on the video and he installs the base station in a difficulty position unnecessarily rights parallel to a wall for no apparent reason. Half suspect a Husquvarna employee.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭Raoul

200 euro is tempting. Like how bad could it be? I only have 80 m sq garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

I got the Wr147e and self install, I don't think the option to have it installed applies to Ireland.

Install is quite easy, just time consuming. I would order extra pegs and a bag of connectors to join or rejoin cable as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭ra0044

I agree for that money and only an 80m2 garden it has to be worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Dutch Roll

Had an issue with my boundary wire so the robot mower was out of action for 10 days. This coincided with an apparent explosion in growth everywhere in the garden. Had to manually mow before sending him out again --- jaysus you'd wanna see the amount of grass I took off it! So happy I'm not having to do a manual cut every couple of weeks now!

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Just to update on my exerience buying Worx L2000 from Amazon DE.

I used mailboxde.com for forward shipping to Ireland. It arrived with them on a Tuesday, it was with me the following Monday. Fairly straight foward process.

Overall I saved €400 compared to the cheapest outlet in Ireland. Worth the extra steps.

With regards the mover, it does seem to get stuck in certain spots in the monrings when the dew is still down, the back wheels do not have enough weight over them to get grip. I may look at adding weights or different wheels. Any recommendations welcomed.

Very happy with it over the 1st week of use.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭marob1969

Just wondering if anyone has tried this or had any experience of this process and if it actually works? What would be minimum distances between the two peninsulas I wonder. See link to discussion article. Trying to stop 430X from going into a narrow passage only when it’s following the guidewire as the passage is very narrow (70-80cm, 5m in length) with kerbing on one side and hedge on the other. Don’t mind if the passage if not cut. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Automower Passage Mode: How Does It Work? – Robolever

Problem should go away as the grass gets shorter and more uniform and mulching increases the quality of coverage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

We got the Beos stainless steel wheels off amazon.de, has really improved the performance on wet/damp grass, big improvement. (bolt on spikes)

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Registered Users Posts: 4 enrique_

hi all

I'm on the market to buy a robot lawn mower. my budget is 700€ and I'm undecided between

- Worx Landroid Plus WR165E 500m²

- GARDENA SILENO minimum 500 m²

the garden is full of obstacles: there is a greenhouse, flowerbeds, a vegetable garden, a swimming pool (drawing attached, with how I would install the wire) and a thing against gardena is that if I understand correctly it needs a third wire

given this information, what would you choose between the two robots above? or none and suckit up because I'm poor? (I see a lot of Husqvarnas around here but it's totally off budget)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

are these actually any good ??

my back garden is like 10m long and same in width

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I don't see any reason why a the landroid wouldn't work for you.The obstacles in the middle of your drawing seem quite close (but maybe not on scale), if you have meter or more in between, it should be OK I think

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

The landroid has the option of doing zones, which definitely looks like they'd make sense for you

https://wiki.worx.com/en/how-to-set-up-multi-zone

You might also be better off treating the large obstacles as part of the actual boundary rather than an island. You lave a 30cm gap between the wires. The grass on the inside will get cut when the mower is doing the boundary routine.

Before I made this change I had a pond area that the mower used to just drive around forever til it ran out of battery. another advantage is that when the mower is doing the boundary routine, it will do around the obstacles too. The negative is it segments your lawn even more, but i think the trade offs are worth it. At least leave yourself some additional wire in those areas to give you the option of doing it either way.

The other thing you could try is on hard objects such as the green house (assuming its not glass right at the bottom) and the veg bed, you could also try no boundary wire. We have a kids play set thing that the boundary wire doesn't know about the mower navigates it fine, just bumps into it and moves on. May not be an option for the green house depending on what the mower will bump into (or if it will bump into anything if the door is left open)

For which mower to buy, I can't really comment on the Gardena, but my worx M1000 is on its 4th year of mowing and still going strong. Would happily buy another worx if I was in the market again.

thanks Happy_Harry and witnessmenow for the inputs. the greenhouse is wood and polyethylene, I'll keep in mind the idea of let the mower just bump. it simplifies a lot. the pool is one of those 'external' ones, I'd probably prefer that the robot doesn't hit it that to avoid damage.

Is Multi-zone available on all landroid models or only on specific models?

on the other hand, maybe the gardena guide wire would be what I need especially due to that corridor in top left

in the end, I guess that one is as good as the other and the result will be more or less similar with both brands

• Registered Users Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Seems like it's on all of them as far as I can tell.

You could just do an island on the pool and leave the others. Don't be afraid to try out an approach and if it's not working out how you like, change it up. The wire can be extended or changed fairly easily at the start before it starts getting absorbed into the ground.

Which ever brand you get, I'd say you'll need to buy more guide wire and pegs . Rough calculation, you have about 175m of boundary without even including the obstacles, the worx only comes with 150

I made a video a few years ago that I think is still valid for this, just skip to the last two sections, tips on buying and installation (they are time stamped in the description)

https://youtu.be/WtlK9h4nLeA

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭supue

Have the local guys coming out to look at my garden today for a Husq robo mower. Quality of lawn isn't great as I've been mulching for the past few years on the ride-on, and generally get lots of grass on dogs/kids etc when coming back to the house. I'm assuming this will be gone with the robot or will there there still be some clippings?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AilbeL200

Husqvarna 310 base station docking problem, Husqvarna 310 is not docking- it goes up close to the base to the left and right ,travels close but eventually runs of battery and stops. I thought it was antenna problem under base station , but I now think it is due to circuit board in base station.

Any experts on husvarna 300 series out there?

Here is my problem and the steps I took to trouble shoot, and why I think it is circuit board.

My Husqvarna 310 will not dock as per above.

1) I swapped out the base station with another base station and it docked properly which leads me to believe it is the base station.

2) I checked power from Transformer, and am getting 28V

3) I have continuity on the 2 antenna cables under the base station

4) I have 28V going in at the connector in the circuit pcb board.

5) I have 26 volts between the spade connectors left and right boundary

5) I have 4.2 V between right spade connector (negative) and the guide spade

6)Robotic mower services channel on utube says the voltage should be 28V and 4.5V respectively , however , on the base station that works , the voltage is 26V and 4V respectively, so I don't think it is a voltage problem.

7) When I swap out the circuit board on base station, it docks properly.

8) I create a new loop signal as part of the process, and I am using the test guide wire home facility. Guide wire is set to 0 mins.

All this would point to circuit board.

However, before I take it back to dealer, would anybody have any other ideas of what it could be? Thanks

Post edited by AilbeL200 on

• Advertisement

thanks @witnessmenow your video was one of the first ones I watched when I started researching robot mower a few months ago. one of the most informative, objective and least biased. congratulations, I wish the product reviews were all done at your level of quality!

Advertisement