Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and Cycling 2: the difficult second album

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/improvement-in-farm-accident-statistics-in-2020-633878#:~:text=Fatal%20farm%20accidents%20over%20the%20last%2010%20years,-The%20last%2010&text=cows%20and%20bulls.-,In%202020%2C%20there%20were%2020%20farming%20workplace%20related%20deaths%20recorded,over%2065%20years%20of%20age.

I'm sorry to hear of your losses.

There's a review of the stats from 3 years ago, you will see tractors are number 1 cause of deaths.

Your opinion is at odds with the facts.

To say there's tractors are the same as any other road vehicle is simply not true. The machine has altered beyond recognition and the regulation and training has stayed the same.

16yr olds driving HGVs wouldn't happen but it's the norm with tractors.

People adjust to silage crews by staying off the road and away from them.

There was a time road deaths and construction deaths were multiples of current levels and we altered our behaviour, agricultural has never made that move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,683 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Was listening to Imogen Cotter on the Pat Kenny radio show this morning, launching a new safety campaign for vulnerable road users:

https://twitter.com/CotterImogen/status/1654181446645415937?cxt=HHwWgoC8ld7Q6vQtAAAA

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

My bad on the stats, I read in a teagasc leaflet that animals were number 1, might have been a few years ago.

I also wouldn't say that silage outfits are HGV's, having driven both I totally disagree with that. Maybe I've just been lucky not to have bad experiences with them as a cyclist, but they're just another road user. Drivers are experienced, a lot more than equivalent drivers of the same age (having grown up with it etc). I'm not saying some young ones (a minority) don't hoon around but it's not the majority and having cycled and raced extensively around both home (extremely rural area) and Dublin and its environs, tractors don't feature in my scariest vehicles on the road. They're the least in my experience, cars topping the poll.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

My worst experiences with silage contractors have all been off the bike. On bike you can hear them coming and can usually get reasonably well out of the way, but in a bigger vehicle when they come at speed with full load around blind bends and slide towards you it's absolutely no fun.

I have a memory of one lad coming within inches of T-boning a bus, right by where I had been sat on the bus: he was just tearing through every junction without slowing down because everything else was smaller than his tractor (I know this guy, he's in his 50's and this is explicitly his opinion, that "roads are for farmers"). He wasn't expecting the bus and only managed to brake at the last second.

Those would be my "standard" type of experiences of contractor crews: no stopping at junctions, no stopping pulling out of gates onto the road, no braking for corners. Because roads are for farming and everyone will get out of their way and they feel safe on the machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How long did it take Kenny to tell her about the cyclist he saw breaking the lights this morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Ok last post as its pretty off topic.

I didn't say they were the same as HGV but there is similarities without the controls and regulations around HGVs like

*licences

*Training especially around vulnerable road users, blind spots, high risk locations

*Use of tachographs and control of how long operators can drive without a break.

When you add in that much of the silage crew are young and operate primarily on narrow roads where by nature of their width they will have to very frequently drive to some degree on the wrong side of the road; with the consequently risks to other road users arising from that.

Even if silage contractors complied with the Organisation of Working Time Act it would be a start, but is there any good reason they shouldn't comply with

"EU law regulates the driving time of professional drivers using goods vehicles over 3.5t (including trailers) and passenger vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats.  

The key requirements are that you must not drive: 

• Without a break for more than 4.5 hours. After driving for 4.5 hours, a break of at least 45 minutes is mandatory. You can distribute that break over the 4.5 hours by taking a 15 minute break followed by a 30 minute break. 
    • For more than nine hours per day or 56 hours per week. This may be extended to 10 hours no more than twice during a week 
    • More than 90 hours in two consecutive weeks"

Silage season would still be ground to a halt if that was in force and hence its not

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭micar

My biggest "oh ****" moment involved a car over taking another car coming up to a bend as I was cycling the opposite direction.

I was inches away of being hit head on...the only time I thought I was a gonner.

The person driving was in a left hand drive car and the bend was going to his left.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,844 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Farm safety has a way to go for sure.

Silage season is the second most stressful thing in a cattle farmer's year. You've a tiny window weather and resources wise (contractors, other people to help you), and to enforce legal hours would people (and processors and more so supermarkets!) need to pay a lot more for food and products (baby food, protein etc).

No harm in saying silage season is on, expect busier roads and therefore a bit more careful - everyone has to look out for each other - but telling vulnerable to stay away is bullshyte

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I'm just gonna say it, silage season last year was great for me. Tractors near me very respectful and if I timed it right I could draft some nearly the whole way home.

Crazy numbers coming from a single stretch of focused roads policing last weekend (Thursday to Tues morning)

• 774 checkpoints with 3179 drink/drug tests conducted which resulted in 188 arrests
    • 900 caught speeding by Gardai plus another 2179 by GoSafe vans
    • 177 fined for using phones while driving
    • 103 for being unaccompanied learner drivers
    • 81 for not wearing their seatbelt
    • 354 vehicles were detained for offences such as Unaccompanied Learner Driver (75), no Insurance (131) and no Tax (148)

On the drink/drug detections, thats a near 6% rate. Thats fking nuts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,700 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Columnist Siobhan O'Connor in today's Sunday Mirror says her locked bicycle was nicked near O'Connell Street Dublin

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Parents raise concerns over safety of cycle lanes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

I caught the end of a piece on RTE Drivetime earlier, it was the Dublin CoCo Cycling and Walking Officer publicising Bike Week events I think. Anyway, the presenter read out a text which made me laugh out loud, so hopefully some here will appreciate it also.

"If Dublin introduces a congestion charge for motorists, cyclists should have to pay it too!" 😆😆😆

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Disability group condemns ‘aggressive behaviour’ of cyclists during Clontarf incident

The women, one of whom is visually impaired and the other in a wheelchair, were waiting on the tactile paving for the pedestrian light to turn green. Two cyclists began shouting at them to “get out of the way”.

A passing garda stopped to calm the incident and confirmed to the cyclists that people with a disability have the right of way in a shared space.

Bernard Mulvany, co-founder of Access For All, who intervened in the altercation said the two women were visibly “upset”.

I've observed similar inconsiderate behaviour towards pedestrians walking or crossing area marked as cycling paths. Pedestrians do have priority.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,123 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know you're only in the cycling forum because you hate cyclists and climate change and woke stuff, but I reckon that whole incident is made up bullsh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

To be honest I don't think the incident is made up. I've come across a couple of weirdly aggressive cyclists while cycling that route over the years (I cycle it for transport mostly and I'm very mindful of the shared spaces and broad range of abilities on the route) , a tiny minority but none the less they stick out in my mind. The issue is really that there are a number of complete arseholes in this world and some of them happen to pick up a bike every now and then.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no reason it can't be real. cyclists can be assholes too.

just odd that it's deemed worthy of inclusion in such an august outlet like the indo. 'cyclists were rude' is hardly headline grabbing news?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭DoraDelite

I didn't realise it made the Indo, I agree it's not worthy of inclusion there and is certainly being used as a clickbait article.

There was a woman in her 70s killed in a hit and run a few months ago in Galway I think and it didn't make as much news as this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Could well be true. I don't see why it's so shocking or newsworthy though. I doubt the woman who rolled through the blatantly red light at the Appian Way/ Leeson St junction yesterday morning rush hour while on reading/ texting on her phone had much concern for any of the pedestrians trying to cross. Or the aul wans on both sides of the road who took a look at me coming up O'Connell St yesterday in the bus/ cycle and decided that they'd just waddle out anyway nearly causing carnage.

Idiots will be idiots. And asshats will be asshats. Crazy that there are 'journalists' in the Indo for whom these is revelatory news.

• Advertisement

A good bit of what the Indo have on their website is content found elsewhere on the web, presented purely for clicks/advertising

if a certain GK is involved with this organisation i'd say it's absolutely makebelieve or at least totally exaggerated

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I can well believe it too. I've been roared at by some eejit as i approached the crossing of the bull island causeway road. He came around the little bend of the path on the Sutton side far too fast and was highly irritated that i was coming the other way and was not out in the pedestrian part to acccomodate his speed. He swerved out around me using the pedestrian part - luckily nobody was walking there at the time or it could have been an incident. Some people are just d**ks.

Man (50s) arrested in NI after video surfaces allegedly showing him tying wire between trees in forest area...

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Assuming we're thinking of the same incident I know that family well and you're right in that it got next to no coverage. Also no prosecution despite it being captured on CCTV.

yeah, it's really bizarre how what is essentially a form of murder or at least manslaughter is just totally ignored by the media and people yet they lose their sh*t over an alleged angry cyclist in clontarf. the population has been well and truly brainwashed by cars and traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,072 ✭✭✭buffalo

Nice piece explaining the issues around bike storage: https://dublininquirer.com/2023/05/17/in-clontarf-council-orders-woman-to-remove-bike-storage-from-her-front-garden/

I have to say though, what's pictured at the top is definitely a shed and not a bike locker! It would only need to be half the height if it was just for bikes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Yeah, that's a shed, not bike store. Planning laws are planning laws, and I don't have an issue with monitoring of people lashing up sheds in front of their houses. They can look awful and if allowed to proliferate would really take away from people's enjoyment of their own homes. That said, I think enforcement comes down to a few things;

1. Are you taking the p**s with your 'bike shed' - i.e. is it too big/ clearly a shed, an eyesore, obtrusive when viewed from the street etc? If yes, FAIL.
    2. Is it tucked away, close to the house, out of sight as much as possible? If no, FAIL.
    3. Do you get on with your neighbours/ are they a bit precious? If no/ yes, FAIL.

Depending on your answers to the above, you can probably get away with sticking something in front of the house. I think local authority enforcement is entirely dependent on getting complaints from neighbours.

Brother in law put in a bike shed, a bit smaller than the one above, to the front/ side of his house. Their back garden was tiny and they had no garage. Couldn't see it from the road. But got an enforcement letter. The fact that it was on a street with very expensive old red brick houses would lead me to conclude that he failed test number 3 above.

EDIT: probably doesn't help her case that (from the photo anyway) she had a garage attached to the house but has converted it to living space.

Advertisement