Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Body and Soul have put themselves out of the competition. It's not a music festival anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Jambonjunior

Is BTP free flow?

I didn't see it mentioned on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Fanirish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

More Campervan / Caravan tickets are going on sale Tuesday 10am if anyone's interested.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭SoundOfSilence

Raged!! I'm locked into the payment plan with body and soul. I made the decision to go there due to the fact there were no camper tickets available for BTP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Whoop whoop, Dope Lemon have been announced for BTP this week!

They've some great songs and missed then when they played Dublin recently, check them out on YouTube/ Spotify etc 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

are they bothering with that "posh" camping mullarkey this year? i paid for it last year but i don't really know what it was i paid for

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭Mrs Shuttleworth

This 100%. I've never been to B&S but really want to see Moderat so that's the decision made for better or worse. Great lineup for BTP and gutted I'm missing Grace Jones (although seen her before) and also Thundercat. Huge overlap in the demographic for both festivals and it's mad they didn't work this out. The Grace Jones announcement will probably attract a number of fairweather festival attendees on a day out who wouldn't go otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

Very quiet in here!

I was thinking maybe someone had created a 2023 thread but no sign so I'll post here

Arts / Late-Night line-up announced today - way more stuff that I'm looking forward to in here than got added to EP last week.

Ridiculously good bill for this for its 5k capacity (and a tragedy that it's clashing with Body and Soul who have also done a great job on bookings)

Mise Freshin' presents Endtroducing - god knows what it'll be like but for now I'm going to assume it will be mindblowingly fantastic.

no sign of any posh camping this year, which was a bit of a joke last year anyway, but i'm assuming it will just be a free for all RE camping with the posh area open to all?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Really looking forward to this. Does anyone have have any recommendations from the Arts lineup? Chris Kent for example is a brilliant comedian, well worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭crl84

What was the story with showers in general camping last year?

I know there were issues with water supply, but when they were working, was there many, big queues, etc?

Working through a playlist now, and liking the sound of Dope Lemon, kind of Kurt Vile vibes, would be nice on a sunny afternoon on the grass

Tempting fate with the mention of a 'sunny afternoon' :) surely due some good weather after this monsoon-ridden May...

I'm doing ATN as well and - in the hullaballoo over that announcement - BTP took a back seat recently but looking at the lineup again and I'm amazed by the depth of quality on offer. Easily 20 acts I'm really looking forward to seeing.

Christion Loffler had the tent absolutely hopping at ATN last night - very different to his recorded output.

Also very interested to see what set Jape does - it's been a while...

For those there last year - was there much to do outside of the music? Would it be similar to Body & Soul in terms of aesthetics and little surprises around the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,755 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

My main issue with it last year, bar the sound system crashing during Orbital, was that there was absolutely nothing to do bar the various stages. I was only there for the Sunday so I may have missed something but the arena seemed very small.

Interesting. There certainly seems to a lot going on in terms of comedy, arts, shows etc based on their latest announcement so perhaps they listened to the feedback...

always the plan to expand offerings.

year 1 was trying to get basics right.

Sure EP and B&S were bare bones in first year or two

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Van Doozy

Can I put in a friendly request that a mod amend the title of this thread to this year's dates?

16th - 18th June 2023

Van Doozy, will you have the can chiller at BTP this year? Was a godsend the Sunday of ATN!

Hi @Whipping Boy . That Sunday at ATN will live on in my memory! It was... relentless!

So yea, TurboChillers is indeed back on the road this summer. We have nothing confirmed yet though.

BTP looks great, it is definitely one I'd like to do. I'll let you know here if we confirm it.

Wherever we end up I'll be sure to include a couple of extra can coolings for any boardsies who intend to use the service...

Fantastic, fingers crossed we see you guys there and that we get a repeat of that Sunday weather!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Toast

A lot of the non music stuff was over in the woods area that wasn't well sign posted and enough of a trek away from the main stuff to be annoying. Not really well positioned to dip in and out of if you had a free 30 mins.

What I found annoying last year was the super cramped "food village" I'd much prefer if things were spread out. There was a lot of queuing chaos with everything on top of each other and with things so crowded the various vendors had problems communicating when they were out of stuff or not taking cards (always have back up cash at this sort of thing).

I'd have also liked to have seen some more places to sit. It was a muddy old place and one of the windiest camping areas I've been in. Saw a big tent that wasn't pegged in properly basically snap in the wind. Bring a mallet!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jellybeano

It was a real back-to-basics festival last year. Throw a few punters, sound systems, tents and stages in a field and go for it. We were just out of Covid, first-ish festival of the season and everyone was very excited to be back in a field drinking cans and having a bop. Stellar line-up, no frills new festival. Perfect!

Definitely would like some more sitty down places, maybe a twinkly walk through the forest and the 360 stage wasn’t great for a couple of reasons.

Very happy to be going again this year. Deadly lineup and location too.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭jellybeano

Asked this previously but still none the wiser. Have they just scrapped the "posh camping" thing altogether? No sign of it on website. I assume that area will just be opened up to everyone this year?

There's a 'glamping' section on the website. Is that not another way of saying posh camping?

https://www.itsbeyondthepale.ie/glamping

I think that's like Tipis and the like. Last year we paid for a "posh camping" area that was supposed to be much more spacious and had more facilities than the normal camping. It was actually a complete load of bollocks and didn't seem to offer any advantages to normal camping. I reckon they just scrapped it this year as it was nonsense.

They had an issue where they didn't have people on the entrance all the time to the "posh camping" lark so basically loads of people just wandered in and setup camp and then when they tried to stop people later they couldn't really because people had their tents and things setup. In the end there was a lot more people in there than the regular section by the looks of things. Also the water got cut off on the Saturday so showers and toilets and stuff stopped working (which was most of the appeal of the posh camping stuff). They offered some money off the early bird tickets for anyone who paid for the "posh camping" this year around but it is expired now.

One of the glamping providers (pitched perfect) is doing a "sale" now on some of the options which I've never seen before with some of the prices 25% less. Comparing to the other crew that are doing similar setups it seems like a genuine reduction.

Internal site looks similar with more food options spread out but a few changes outside. Different entrance to the arena and a different "arts" area nearer to the main arena so that is good. Looks like the car park from last year with that hill on the way in is where the Campervans are now. Seems like a new car park for everyone else with a shorter looking walk . Glamping doesn't appear to have their own showers and the toilets nearby seem to be shared with general. Old posh camping is now just Campsite B. Still seems to have more facilities than Campsite A but is further away from the Arena.

edit: oh Glamping in the key and Glamping in text are two different places (key says the hex area is the Glamping area which is left side of Campsite A but text has it is in the back of Campsite B) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't know about the discount for posh campers and I paid for it last year, oh well. Campsite B it is then for me, it was a nice distance from the arena and not too rowdy. I reckon we'll be there at midday or so this year as opposed to 6pm last year so should get a decent spot.

• Advertisement

Daily breakdowns

Advertisement