Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

thats per person, per year, you can see how it can easily be bypassed

i dont think there's any other rules in place as pretty impossible to regulate, all they can really do is regulate exchanges of currency

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Property is the most valuable asset the vast majority of people will ever own, it therefore stands to reason that the vast majority, especially recent buyers, want their home’s value to remain high. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want the value of my house to drop significantly. So please, don’t be a hypocrite and tell us that it is only in FG’s best interest to keep property values high, we are all part of the same self interested pretence of saying, property should be cheaper, except mine of course.

This is an article from a couple of months ago about the enormous volume being spent on forward financed projects.

https://archive.ph/hOyIO

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

From the article

In 2021, large property funds invested more than €1.7 billion in Ireland’s residential sector, according to Sherry FitzGerald. Some €1.3 billion was invested through forward funding agreements to pay for the development of residential schemes

By my maths (suspect), that's less than 2500 units less than 10% of the output. Expect that to drop significantly with much higher rates. High cost to the state for very low output.

Makes no difference to me if my house is at 2018 or 2023 price.

The 2023 price actually drives up my costs in terms of tax, insurance, general inflation as with oil the higher the price the higher the price of everything else

Fortunately housing and inflation are our governments number 1 priority :-)

• Administrators Posts: 53,752 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Makes no difference to me if my house is at 2018 or 2023 price.

Unless you're mortgage free it will definitely make a difference. More inflated value = better LTV = better mortgage rates.

Whats the correlation between maintenance costs on the same house when its market value changes?

Insurance is rebuild cost, not market value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

For many, yes this is the case. For me, my LTV would be fine even if my property dropped by 15%, and I'm fixed for a number of years either way. That kind of correction in the market would allow me to trade up to a more expensive property more cheaply, would decrease inflationary pressure on the economy as a whole, and make it easier for others of my generational cohort to acquire a home. So that would be just fine by me.

I'm not doubting that "number goes up" is deeply rooted in the Irish psyche, but it's not a monolithic opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

If you are saving for a house then only house price inflation is really important. That is far lower than general inflation. Also with wage increases now above house price inflation the average house price is now a lower multiple of the average wage so should be more affordable. Of course if you are paying rent while saving then that can make it more complex.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Just replace London with Vancouver for me. They own an incredible amount of property here in Point Grey, which is the richest postal code in Canada.

It’ll be easier for you to trade up if values drop?

So you think the value of the more expensive will drop, but your existing house will not? And if values decrease, there is likely to be more competition for the better houses.

You are kinda making my point, you want other houses to fall so that you can buy a better house, and also that your generation can buy a house, but you don’t seem to factor in that the price of your house may fall more, and more people, particularly cash buyers will take advantage of lower prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

99% of all developments are financed by funds because banks stopped lending directly to developers and instead lend to a fund who along with investors in the fund finance the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,500 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A drop in value would stop many from trading up. When you sell you need to have not enough left ( along with savings) to make up a 20% deposit. This is where a serious drop in price would catch many. It might mean they have no equity in the house they are selling remember auctioneer and solicitors fees for two purchases along with stamp duty ( most trading up will be buying older bigger houses) will eat up about 5-6% of any sale price

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Levy even more taxes on the small amount of resident net tax payers….

EU citizen will always be treated like irish citizens, so any taxes would have to be residency based. There aren’t many foreign based BTL buyers in ireland anyway. Most landlords are residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭DataDude

Someone earning €300k already pays €142k in income taxes.

You might reasonably expect them to have a house worth €1.5m after a 4x mortgage and deposit. That would bring a further property tax of €45k per year.

So €300k gross would become €110k net. A 64% effective rate of tax. Yikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Not to mention that any event big enough to make property prices collapse would need to wipe out half the jobs in the country and nobody will be trading up without a job.

I honestly dont think all of the people praying for a crash understand what else will be happening besides house prices falling if there is a crash big enough to collapse property prices in any significant way.

Post edited by DownByTheGarden on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

The logic is that the higher priced property falls further. Its a big generalisation but broadly speaking if you're looking to trade up, price dips/crash are better for you than rising prices.

Everything is relative, if johnnychimpo is talking about trading up to an expensive/luxury house which is a discretionary purchase, then in a recession, that type of house is likely to drop more in value, but if he/she is talking about a more expensive house which would be popular with other buyers who just want more room, or in a better area, then it’s hard to see how the factors which affect the price of that house would be any different to the factors affecting a similar price drop on his existing house. And, as others have said, the shock to our financial system which would be needed to reduce prices by a significant amount would likely be associated with job losses and wage reductions.

Which brings me back to the point of mine that johnnychimpo responded to, it’s all good and well to say we want prices to fall so that younger people/average income earners can buy a home, but we just don’t want it to have any affect on our own houses/income. So it isn’t just FFG who have a vested interest in house prices remaining stable/high, all property/home owners do as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I agree on your first point. Anything that causes a 2008-like crash will not happen in a vacuum. However, I think that most people who would like to see a crash know that. If it's a choice between continued growth and ever increasing prices or a crash with the risk of unemployment, it's rather a choice between the lesser of two evils. If one is in a position where they are paying most of their income to rent poor accommodation, a crash doesn't seem so bad.

Personally speaking, in 2009, I was able to rent a nice room in a house with a private bathroom for just 20% of my monthly income from a minimum wage job (in Athlone). Granted, many people were in a bad position in 2009, but if I were renting today, I'd be willing to take my chances with another crash.

Of course, 2008 was a different beast...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

If prices fall 20% across the board, anyone looking to trade up saves more in absolute terms on the more expensive property they acquire than they lose on the cheaper one they sell.

You should only cheer high prices if you're going to be a net seller of property for the remainder of your lifespan.

That seems quite simple. Generally people trading up are from smaller houses or from apartments. Apartments generally preform poorly in a crash and often fall further than one might think. A lot of people trading up will be from HTB's funded new houses. These always trade at 30 k lower than a new house in the same development so usually the first 1-2 years of house inflation will not benefit them

Say they are in there house ten years,paid 200k and it's worth 400k. If the equity they have after fees is about 190k. If it drops 15% they have only about 110k in equity after sale

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭OEP

They don't fall linearly across the board though

People who think propose solutions like this never really think about the brain fart they propose

Even the thinking of taxing those on household incomes of 100k @1% is flawed. This is virtually the minimum that any couple buying would need in Income. So you buy a 450k house and need to find 4.5k on top of the mortgage to fund it every year out of take home income. That for a couple with two incomes of 50k each

I do not know any country that has property tax in the 1% bracket not to mind 3%. As I said a brain fart by @Blut2

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,601 ✭✭✭Villa05

On the prices rising/falling argument for those trading up.

1 as stated more expensive houses fall faster than entry level housing in a correction. More buyers for your home less for the bigger home

2 those trading up don't have the gun to the head of current market rents, so waiting is an option and saving is easier

3 trader uppers don't buy last year and decide to trade up this year, they will have significant equity built up between 5 and 10 years through appreciation and paying down mortgage

4 the more trading up that occurs, the more stock that is available for new entrants. A more fluid market is a more healthy market

Posts by @Dav010 and @Bass Reeves may have an element of truth in them if we had a repeat of 08, where the banks and the state were effectively bankrupt, so those propping up the bubble were eliminated.

In truth the vast majority of homeowners would be much better off were the market stable and affordable as they derive most/all of their income from work. A stable housing market allows them to move easily between jobs and locations and protects them from government sponsored boom bust policies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

The problem here is you only mention the equity drop and not the drop in prices of the house they want to trade up to.

Higher end houses have further to fall pricewise, so any fall in equity will be met by falls in asking price of the house they want to buy, in some cases moreso.

House equity does not exist in a vacuum, if you sell you will need to buy again somewhere else, unless of course you are the investor class which isnt relevant here.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Brasso

CSO property price index released now for March. National annual increase of 3.9% (was at 5% for February), in Dublin the increase was 1.7% (was 3.2% in February). March figures probably still represent a lot of deals made before the new year though, so the competing effects of the new 4x limit and higher interest rates might not have had much of an impact on these figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭Blut2

They'd be more than entitled under such a system to defer paying the property taxes until the house is sold/transferred, if they weren't cash liquid. But someone earning €300k a year isn't exactly likely to be struggling. Theres also nobody forcing said person to live in such an expensive house - its entirely a personal choice if someone wants to live in a multi-million euro house. Are people who drive Ferraris being unfairly charged a higher rate of motor tax than people who drive Ford Mondeos? Because its the exact same principle.

@Bass Reeves plenty of places have property taxes in excess of 1%. In New Jersey its 2.49% per year, in Illinois 2.27%. In France its up to 1.7%. In Chile its up to 2% etc. Theres nothing remotely unusual or controversial about it.

We're going to have to figure out some way to prevent foreign investors flooding the market here as has happened in countless other cities like Vancouver or London. And ideally something to encourage downsizing while we're at it. Short of property taxes with exemptions for low and middle earning tax residents I haven't heard of any better ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭Nermal

Plenty of states in the US with effective property taxes substantially in excess of 1%.

The US has very low personal tax and Vat rates. As well PT in the US often funds education up to post primary level. Therefore people often downsize as they get old and move to Florida which has relatively low PT. You cannot have high personal tax and PT. In a lot of countries @Blut2 suggests PT is actually a barrier to house ownership by lower income couples. Iow personal taxation rates actually benefits the well off

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Interest rates surely have to have an effect on affordability. How much of an effect though I dont know.

A couple I know who returned from Australia have been waiting for property prices to come down for about 6 years now while they rent here. They are still waiting. And the more prioces go up the more they feel they have to wait. But in truth I think between the rent they are paying now and the interest rates I think that the properties they would have wanted are now beyond them. As much as they save, prices are running away on them. Add interest rates to that and I think they are out of the current market and not by choice this time.

And the worst part of it is that they are both 40 years old now, so their potential mortgage payments will be getting higher the longer they wait because of that too.

So there are definitely a lot of people getting dumped out of the bidding for property simply because they cannot afford that property anymore. It doesnt seem to be having an effect on prices yet because there is still a steady stream of buyers, but I feel if interest rates go up much more there are going to have to be price adjustments. Or more likely more REITs will be in to buy up houses and apartments. The councils too.

There is just demand from all directions now, even with people dropping out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭combat14

affordability is definitely dropping with each rate rise

more and more anecdotal stories of young people in their 30s giving up hope on buying a house and deciding to travel instead

Property prices fall for third month in a row

The property market is slowing down as mortgage rate hikes impact the market.

https://m.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-prices-fall-for-third-month-in-a-row/a1276061782.html

Advertisement