Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 coolaboola1357

I dont mind paying for starlink, I just want something decent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just assumed you would have a good 4G connection with the 10Mb DSL as to get that speed you must be near a town or village with a box to get that speed above my 2Mb. I'm far from a village along the road but as the crow flies I am two miles from two different mobile phone masts in different locations. I'm in the middle. Well if you cannot get a mobile connection then unfortunately you may have to fork up the cash for starlink.

I used have 26mb dsl but switched provider and now the line isn't working. I have been calling them countless times and 3 engineers came out to check the line but they can't fix it

I used have great broadband, and now it's rubbish . I just can't let this go on much longer as we are all going crazy and I need to WFH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I run a small online training business over it. Everything turned up to the maximum quality and the link has been fairly rock solid, whether it's Google Meet, Teams, Zoom or Webex, I've not had any connection issues in the longest time now. Yes there have been outages, but not many at all and none have impacted me during the working day so far.

I used to have a very stable Fixed Wireless connection with 10 down, 5 up, which I bonded with a 4G connection to give me a little extra capacity. Before 3pm on school days I could get 25-30 down and 20 up on the two connections. After 3pm, the 4G was effectively worthless. I would have probably stayed on that setup, except the FWA provider shut down their service last year, so I had to get something that was reliable and it turns out Starlink is that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Go for Starlink, at least you'll know it will work. Some people have managed to get a decent service from Imagine but many haven't, Imagine is not in any way a reliable service especially after 2pm to midnight the network can be extremely congested depending on the mast your on. IF my only option was 10meg DSL, I would stay with that over Imagine, at least the DSL connection would not drop regularly.

For a reliable connection with Imagine you need to be either on a brand new mast (where quality will become worse as more customers subscribe) or in an area where there is plenty of FTTH where the majority of Imagine customers have jumped to FTTH as soon as it became available.

Yep I was uld stay on the 10mb dsl if it was eked but it goes down 20 times a day so isn't reliable

Yeah I think starlink is my next step, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I switched to Starlink 2 months ago from Imagine, night and day.

I get between 120 to 200 mb download from Starlink even at peak times. 4 of us in the house streaming/gaming and we have had now issue. Very happy with the product. Starlink is now gone down to €65 per mount and you can now rent the equipment for €15 per month. It's a no brainer for me.

Great- thanks for this. What kind of gaming do ye do ? My son does ipad gaming, minecraft and roblox etc would it be ok for this ?

does starlink get affected by clouds ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

No, I'm pretty sure the signal can penetrate through clouds.

Already answered in the other thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Yep my lads play all those, no issue with weather

thanks a mill. Ill drive on so. my dsl only dropped 10 times today while on calls :-) , its improving

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭grizzcol2

Has anybody tried cancelling their Imagine contract during the initial 18 months? did they enforce the paying of the remainder of that contract clause?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The one thing they are good at is collecting money , so probably.

I cancelled my contract 7 months ago when I was several years out of contract and it took me 3 months to get them to stop charging me and I'm still waiting for them to come and remove the aerial and the router despite repeated calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭rodge123

Internet dropped since 9.30 this morning for me on Cappagh north Kildare mast. Anyone else?

Update - Im caller number 200 in queue to support with wait time of 35 mins on their terrible line!

Guessing it’s not just mine gone based on that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Internet gone since around about the same time in North Co. Galway.

Tried calling but there are 240 people ahead of me. Guessing it’s a national issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

Back again it seems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 392 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Back here also, dropped out the same time as everyone else up in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigBuck

Been gone here all day.

Them claiming it's back on Twitter five hour ago is some laugh.

NBI can't arrive fast enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭mossie

Anybody having connection issues this morning? No internet here (North Cork), all lights on modem, reboot does nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Hey guys, did anyone get an email today from Imagine with new terms and conditions? From the summary they provided looks like maybe you can reject the new terms? Could this be used to exit before the end of minimum contract period?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If new T&Cs are less favourable, you can end your contract without penalty.

Anyone having connection issues this evening? It's being on and off for me for the last hour (well more off than on). North Cork area.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BigBuck

Been off for me since about the same. Mayo/Roscomon area so it must be very widespread. Fourth or fifth time this year there's not been a major slowdown but a major outage. NBI cannot arrive fast enough. My cancelation call to Imagine will be one of the most cathartic of my entire life.

Can't wait either. It's been a continuous downward trend with imagine for over a year now.

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭chelseavera

I'm at my wit's end with them. The main problem here is the evenings - from 9-11. Pure useless. Sometimes Oopla can't even connect to server. I'm working from home evenings/nights - but this will call that in to question now. Am in Mayo and Fibre expected 2026. Options limited right now.

So frustrating.

Have you looked at Starlink? I've been on it 18 months now and never see that kind of issue. Download speeds consistently over 200Mbps, uploads between 10 and 20Mbps.

Oh wow - never heard of that service. Expensive - but interesting. Will study tomorrow. Thank you!

Same issue here. They tell me it's at my end but nothing in my setup had changed since I signed up with them. Also my setup is the same after midnight when I get 150+ downloads. Starlink is a bit expensive so I'll just have to wait 12 months for NBI.

• Advertisement

Yeah, same. The initial outlay for Starlink is hefty - and I've a lot of tall trees around me. I suspect I'd have to pay someone to install as well. I might have a play with the app and see. I'd love with the €65pm but €450 + installation - ouch. I hope your 2024 NB goes as planned!

Eugh - It's owned by Elon Musk. I'd worry about its stability, given the turmoil he's caused with Twitter.

Yeah. NBI says June to Dec 2024 so hoping for the earlier date, probably won't happen that way though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭dam099

They have an option to rent the equipment which might make more sense if you expect NBI in next year or two.

Will have another look.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I reconcile my admiration for SpaceX with my disdain for Musk by telling myself that it's Gwynn Shotwell's baby more so than Elon Musk's.

Mu$k made shyte of Twitter in days ... Starlink hasn't had any such problems in the 18 months I've had it and my business depends on it.

I've only otherwise got variable 4G mobile BB as backup.

Giving it a serious look as we speak. Thanks 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭sok2005

Just a heads up, not sure if this is for every customer but I got an email from Imagine on August 4th stating a change to their terms and conditions which allowed me to exit my contract with them a year early with no penalties. 30 days cancellation notice required only.

• Advertisement

Anyone having issues (more than normal) this evening? Seems to be dropping the connection every few seconds for the last hour or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Unusable in West Cork last few days

Had very good speeds for 2 & half years but from what I have read here , its only downhill from here :(

Quite possible. I'm 4 years with them, first 2 years very good, last 2 years progressively worse to the point of being essentially unusable between 6pm and 11pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Mines still perfect, South East. With them 6 years. Since they stopped annoying me about data caps I'm very happy with the service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭LeeHarvey

I live in Laois and have Imagine about seven years, it's our ONLY option in this area, so we either want Internet or don't. It has always been the case that the lights indicating signal have always been no greater than two out of four and the quality has always been from OK to exceptionally poor on a Sunday night from five or six in the evening until eleven or twelve.

We recently had a 'service' from Imagine where the router was changed and the antenna was turned from the original direction it was facing to a new direction as there was 'interference' between us and the original tower (which we can see line-of-sight) and it is now facing a new direction on a mast mounted on the side of our house and is about 20' off the ground. Our Internet is now no better and seems a bit worse, still a maximum of two lights indicating signal and watching anything on Netflix or YouTube etc is impossible, especially on a Sunday night.

Calling them in the morning.

You should consider Starlink ... there is now a refurbished equipment option for half-price ... You won't suffer any slow downs like you do with Imagine.

I've used it for 18 months and am very happy with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Can also confirm, Starlink.

My SIL uses it for WFH and general home use. Installed since July, no issues to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Actually, after the initial purchase cost of the Starlink kit, dish €300/ethernet adapter/mounting items their monthly Starlink subscription is approximately two-thirds less than their previous setup.

It was almost €130 per month for her Bigblu satellite broadband sub, just for WFH, they also had landline phone and broadband for home use. Landline broadband was practically unusable at 4.5 km from the exchange.

They cancelled both of these services and get everything now for €65 pm plus an annual VoIP sub.

They are very happy with Starlink but will move to fibre once it arrives, expected 2025/26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭LeeHarvey

Thanks for the advice, just a quick update on how I got on with Imagine today. So after a wait on hold for near 9 minutes I got talking to a guy and he took a look at our system from his end. He said it looked like our Sky Q box and its Sky range extenders for multiform were on the same "channel" as our Imagine WiFi. So he changed the Imagine WiFi to a different channel and had us run a speed test which had good upload/download speed's. The signal strength on the router was 2/3 out of four which was good. We also checked our Sky Q mini boxes in the rest of the house and all was good!

Then boom, twenty to nine tonight the main Sky Q box disconnected from the WiFi multiple times needing reset over and over. The signal strength on the router was down to 1/4. I'm going to look into Starlink tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Dero

I don't know whether this belongs here or in the NBI progress thread, but probably here. I've been with Imagine for over seven years (!) now while waiting for fibre. I've been out of contract a long time, and waiting for the day that I can ditch them. It's been a reasonable stopgap, but they're an awful company because they know that the vast majority of their customers have no choice and they act accordingly.

Anyway, NBI are scheduled to go live here in Q2 next year. Work has already started and just this week, they started installing the fibre on our road so it finally feels palpable.

Then lo and behold this evening, I get a call from Imagine out of the blue. Seemingly I'm such a good customer that they would like to offer me a 20% discount. Wow, how generous. All I have to do is sign this itty-bitty little 18 month contract. 😂

I have to say, their sense of comic timing is amazing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement