Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Your pretence that I claimed that everyone with an alternative opinion is an NGO shill, followed up by the usual exaggerated bluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

yeah i still don't get it, someone got stabbed in a scuffle between themselves big deal. some handbags in citywest, big deal. maybe i'm just too much of a city boy to understand this stuff because in dublin the only thing you need to worry about are our own scumbags, no one worries about foreigners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

There's an election next year, these lads want reelected. 500 likes from Twitter activists count for sod all at election time n this issue is gonna be a big one on the doorsteps methinks.

"See the thing is there are no "safe parts of Ukraine where Ukrainans are going about life as normal.""

Yes there are. More than 80% of Ukraine has not been invaded or suffered any bombing or missile attacks.

"Refugees" fleeing most of Ukraine to come to Ireland is the equivalent of people fleeing Cork and Kerry during the troubles to travel to Venezuela to seek free housing, food, medical care and dole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Genuine question - if found guilty of this offense, does this warrant deportation?

Definitely not. We can't send him back home and risk his feelings being hurt, or, god forbid, he might have to get a job and support himself.

so why do you think they are leaving? just to get free stuff? why have so many of them gone to sh*tholes like Moldova if they could just go to another part of Ukraine?

Many are fleeing war. Most aren't. Do you know what the average wage in Ukraine is? Do you know how corrupt it is? Have you ever worked a **** low-paid job in a **** low-end city, in a **** corrupt country, maybe had a criminal conviction that stops you working at all, or have a mouth or two to feed that you rather you hadn't? Imagine if you then got the opportunity to go to a faraway land, where you didn't have to work, where you got paid to lounge around all day, where you had a roof over your head, 3 square meals a day, and not a worry of any description?

You'd be off like a shot, just like many of our guests were.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Cbumkin

Ha, I have more things to be doing than going back checking your posts , and I only dip in here occasionally. But if you believe (as you seem to do) that we should have no limits on immigration, that we should continue to welcome every International Protection applicant who turns up on our shores and that we should prioritize their needs ahead of Irish and EU residents of this country, if you believe we can never say "NO" , that we must keep on saying Yes despite our schools , our health system, our transport system, our housing situation, in ever increasing crisis under the weight of numbers, our tourist industry hamstrung with so much previous tourist accommodation taken out of the system, then without a doubt you are a fully paid up member of the groupthink!

• Advertisement

Yeah you're just 100% cynical about the whole thing and it's depressing that people like you are out there thinking Ukrainians are just coming to take taxpayers for a free ride. Many are here with their husbands fighting in the army, I'm sure they're only delighted to be in this situation.

"Not a worry of any description" and their country is being invaded and they're in a foreign land that speaks a different language with not much control over their own lives. Have you any experience of life at all? Would you ever f**k off.

You're mistaking realism for cynicism.

As usual, you cannot debate, just bluster.

whatever kind of twisted mind you have, not everyone coming from Ukraine just wants free money over everything. real people actually have links to land and family and want a happy life at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Where did I say there should be no immigration limits?

I said it would be next to impossible to stop illegal immigration and that migration numbers across the EU would increase significantly due to climate change and other resource factors. The thread title is for a Zero policy. I ask how is that possible.

So where did I mention "no limits" in any fashion?

"As you seem to do"...Cowardly post with cowardly likes. Prove your claim sunshine. I expect you to run away...

Post edited by Cluedo Monopoly on

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Any indication of this, other than your imagination?

I have spoken to many Ukrainian "refugees" and what they have to say might surprise people like yourself. Like most eastern Europeans, they tend to be brutally honest.

I don't have any animosity towards these people, if I was in a similar situation myself, where I had little prospects, I too would probably leap at the chance for a life of leisure. I blame our government, and the NGO's who make money from this scam.

The long term consequences of allowing mass-scale scamming of Irelands welfare system cannot be overstated. People in real need will suffer because we let every chancer in the world come to the land of milk and honey.

It's unfortunate that people like yourself lack the foresight to see it.

a life of leisure, seriously listen to yourself. oh and I'm sure you've spoken to loads of them yes, you come across as someone who is outgoing and open minded and knows a lot of people from all different backgrounds. like f*ck you do.

More bluster. If you cannot debate, there's no point responding to you. Keep the pretend outrage going, I'm sure it works for you.

What's wrong with calling a spade a spade here?

If Ireland was in the doldrums and I had to emigrate I'd probably go somewhere that was prepared to give me bed, board and out of pocket expenses while I found my feet.

These lads are playing the system and I'd do the exact same. I don't blame them.

But the system is broken in this country and no politician wants to admit it.

the guy is saying ukrainian refugees are "so called" refugees and are taking the piss, i thought even boards.ie sympathised with the ukraine and its current plight but apparently not.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

It's instructive to see some of the same usernames who brayed for billions to be spent by the Government on useless Covid-theatre measures for two and a half years are the same ones firmly behind yet more taxpayers money being flushed away on the latest 'virtue-signal du jour'.

I wonder what happens when these Social Justice Warriors run out of other people's money to spend?

The money we have burned over the last few years and continue to burn, could have transformed Irish society beyond recognition for our people and our descendants. Instead we will hand our kids one of the biggest debt-mountains in the western world - sorry kids, ye can figure out how to pay it all back and by the way, there's loads of us who'll need pensions at the same time - hope ye're ok with a 70% tax-rate?

The political and media discourse has been hijacked by ivory-tower, virtue-signalers and we have the most cowardly generation of politicians at the helm - don't worry though, they'll be just fine with their gold-plated pensions and cushy Eurocrat jobs.

We are making an absolute mess of our country and by the time most people wake up to that fact it will be far too late to do anything about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

Govmt's decades long obsequience to overseas funds created a housing crisis of such proportions that it attracted international attention

Govmt naturally fails to accommodate unbounded immigration - govmt "works hard" on this by giving tax payers money to overseas funds.

Govmt calls us all racists

Modern Ireland, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So what is happening in parts of Ukraine where no war is going on?

Are hotels closed and people hiding in there houses?

Or are people going about life as normal.

Have a Google and educate yourself.

Sending Ukrainians to parts of Ukraine where no war is going on is the same as Hitler sending Jews to their death.

I honestly don't believe at this point that you are not on a wind up.

I certainly hope for your sake that you are.

I never mentioned Ukraine. Wasn't referring to them at all.

well as you can see, some posters think that those who think themselves in danger should just move to a different part of Ukraine.

Well we certainly know despite what we are told that people are not fleeing a war in Georgia.

What we don't know is what they are fleeing, which is potentially a criminal conviction or God knows.

Why else would people be turning up without documentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

I'd say lots of them are taking the piss. The two who got taken in through the red cross behind us were here just over a year, never left the neighbours house bar the back garden and every Wednesday to go get some food from tesco with their free food card that got topped up every week., never even tried to look for work, never contributed a cent to the woman who took them in. They were married but declared themselves as single to get full rate social welfare each. Talked to them a few times over the wall and out the window, seemed like nice decent folks. They wanted to stay here to get the money and then they left a month ago for the UK to start a business with all the welfare money they saved. What business is that, I have no idea 🤷 but that was their plan from the beginning.

That's just one instance. I'm sure there's plenty more examples out there out of 80,000 or so.

A pure waste of taxpayers money.

Tell me why moving to Ireland would make more sense than moving to a different part of your country not at war?

maybe put yourself in their shoes, look at the situation in ukraine and ask yourself what you might do for your family and your own safety?

i would imagine most of the refugees come from endangered parts rather than other parts anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The people's reasons for not wanting AS in Inch are their own and to be honest their reasons are irrelevant. People have every right to have a say in what happens and how the place on which they live changes. It's why we have planning law.

In a functioning democracy, these people should be able to feed into the decision making about what happens in their neighbourhood. What we have instead is AS being placed in communities with no notice or consultation, practically undercover.

They have three offices in Dublin ready to go but the govt are afraid to say where they are.

The govt need to find alternative locations for AS, to locate them where communities want them.

Post edited by MrMusician18 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

You literally posted news articles about Algerian rapists and then proceeded to say this is what the locals in Clare are concerned about with having Asylum Seekers moving in

It's blatant racism and thankfully people with your mindset are a minority in this country

Advertisement