Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭gaming_needs90

In the same situation but a different part of the country! You can ask but no obligation for them to tell you. If they are decent I would imagine they would tell you. The vast majority I have dealt with are all reasonable, just always be mindful that they obviously work for the seller so trying to get them the best price.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

thanks very much for that.

looks like ill be safe enough so , looks like even if they do announce an increase , i should be drawn down before it comes into effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Agree, majority of EA don't want to be wasting your time if they know you are genuine, had two cases where auctioneers(locals) told me that we were bidding against cash buyer and that a seller was more keen on them but it can also happen that they play you.

Had a case of that March 2022, viewed a house very close to where I lived a couple of mins walk.

It had an asking that was close to our budget limit(we could go over asking by about 15k) and based on condition and location of house thought it would go well over that.

Sign was up for a number of weeks, we would walk by it 2/3 a times a week. Decided to ring EA after about 8 weeks after seeing an Under Offer sign on sign outside the house . Had been bidding on a house with same Agency(has a national profile) the summer of 2021.

Only one offer had been placed on it, that was placed about 6 weeks prior and it was 30k below. Told the EA our situation, our house we were in that was nearby was in the process of been sold, AIP letter for a mortgage that was about 50% of the asking. We decided to put in an offer that was 20k below asking. About 2 hours later get a call saying the asking price had been met by the previous bidder and that they were a cash buyer and then hinted that seller was more keen on them.

So in my mind the EA played us in the above scenario to get 30 k more off the cash buyer. Checked property register 6 months later and that Offer of the Asking Price was the Sale price listed.

If I had known prior that we were bidding against a cash buyer we would not have put in offer.

Had experience in Dec 2021 of that when we were underbid in the end by a cash buyer but the local EA had always been straight up with me during the bidding whenever this Cash Buyer put in a bid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,929 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Done at long last! Got the keys, activated insurance, transferred the utilities over the last 2 days. Lovely helpful previous owner and the place is fully furnished apart from a few pieces. The relief when I got the keys was like nothing I ever experienced in my life, literal headrush and pins and needles after a year of terror.

This place was listed for 235k a year ago in Limerick city, I got in @ 270k, dropped out @ 297k, instant depression, it came back on the market 3 months later, EA offered me a crack at it first, I forced myself to be calm and asked for another viewing and a weekend to think about it even though I was actually obsessed with the place, I said I would revert to my original offer of 270k, they accepted 2 days before Christmas Day 2022.

All ready to move into after a deep clean, 2 extensions and an attic conversion already done, 2 living rooms, decking, conservatory, big garden in the middle of the city, I literally cannot believe it, feels like a lottery win.

The process aged me and left me a nervous wreck though, literally a year of terror. I get an alert for every property that comes up within 50 km of the city and there has been nothing this good in the last year, not even close, if Id lost it again I would have probably emigrated. Thanks to everybody in this thread for all the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Congrats. Looks like a great house for that money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Anyone had a similar situation or can advise?

We're selling our house at the moment and went sale agreed on it for X amount a few months ago. We then bid on another house based on what we were getting for our house, and went sale agreed on that.

Our house sale then fell through. It is now sale agreed again, but for a significantly lower amount than we were sale agreed for the first time.

Would it be usual in the circumstances to go back to the vendors for the house we're purchasing to try to negotiate a lower price? I'm conscious that they have already been good in that they were willing to wait for us after our house sale fell through the first time, so don't really want to rock the boat to an extent that they consider pulling out.

I think that would very much rock the boat.

It's perfectly normal to renegotiate the price based on adverse findings on a survey for example, but why would they agree to renegotiate? They didn't agree to sell you their house based on you achieving a certain sales price for your own.

I would imagine, depending on their circumstances, they will refuse to even open negotiations. (Unless they are desperate to get the sale over the line, and/or there was not a lot of interest in the house initially)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Jenthreepinks

I agree with the above comment - I do think that'd rock the boat, especially if there is no issue with the survey. Think about if it were the buyers of your house looking to re-negociate, would you agree to it? Tough situation for you though, I feel your pain, we had to pull out of a new build we had a deposit on as our house isn't selling for what we thought.

If you can afford the house one way or another just put it behind you and plough ahead. If its stretching you majorly now that you're getting less on your own house, have a look around, something better may have come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭This is it

Amazing, congratulations! Will need a ride on for that garden 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭FledNanders

Thanks for the reply.

Yes we can still afford to complete on the house we are buying, but we are left with very little surplus.

As you say, just one of those things you have to suck up and get on with I suppose!

Stepping back from it I think I'd prefer to take a financial hit now to get the new house over the line, rather than have to go through this whole horrible process again in a few years.

• Advertisement

Absolutely brilliant news!!

the weight must be gone off your shoulders now, congratulations!!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Anyone requested deeds from BOI recently? How long did it take?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭herbalplants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭VW 1

Yes we were waiting around 2 weeks from request to returned to our solicitor, give or take a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Got mortgage approval from BOI today, still waiting on EBS and Avant.

Boi took 4 weeks and 1 week to AIP from documents being sent to the underwriter

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭AH92

Anyone know when is the best time to activate home insurance and mortgage protection? Waiting for our solicitor to send contracts over shortly to sellers. The excitement is brewing!!!!!

id say get it done now, pay a month if you have to !

home insurance i would have it set to kick in on whatever dated suits you for a direct debit if you are paying that way.

Just got news that vendor is signing contract today , and my solicitor is sending off everything and requesting funds.

Anyone got a rough timeline of how far out we are from getting over the line?!

getting a bit excited now it must be said .

Presumably, you would have to take out mortgage protection/life insurance for 1 extra year? Otherwise, when drawdown time comes, your mortgage might be for 30 years, but there are only 29 years and 10 months left on the insurance policy

We were told to have it ready to go, and activate it 3-5 business days before your closing date

• Advertisement

my broker sorted that and yes it has 31 years on the policy

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Mr Hindley

I got told similar - target 7-10 days before closing. If it comes up a little short at the other end - well, by then, the remaining amount on the mortgage will be almost zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Cork2021

This is a question that will have an answer of .. how long is a piece of string.. but I’ll ask anyway.

has anyone here done a remodel and retrofit of a 1970’s detached home? It’s BER for what it’s worth is a D2. ???

i think we’ve found the house we’d like to buy but needs work to modernise it, but it is habitable.

needs a new kitchen with the possibility of knocking a wall or two to more open plan. Attached garage and workshop so no planning needed..

rest of downstairs is cosmetic like new floors and paint.

upstairs, there’s 4 big double rooms, a hot press and a small family bathroom. Id probably like to shrink one of the rooms to do a bigger family bathroom and an en-suite.. mainly the rest Is cosmetic floors painting new wardrobes…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Sale agreed and full mortgage approval on a new build. Banks will need their valuation before drawdown and i'm just wondering if anyone knows how far to completion does the house have to be before this can take place? It's fairly well on, full structure built etc and internally well there too, just needing final bits like kitchen fitting, tiling, etc.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭e.r

We had same situation with our house only being partially built but needing a valuation.

We asked out builder is ok to get valuation carried out and he said no problem.

Valuer gets idea of the property & carries out final inspection when house is fully completed to make sure he is happy all is above board.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Aph2016

Outbid by a cash buyer who had 650k+ lying around. Its tough out there.

It sure is.

We were bidding on 2 houses -

House 1 - us vs a cash buyer (both well above any 3rd bidder). House ended up going for €40k over asking to the cash buyer.

House 2 - us vs a cash buyer. Cash buyer won out, at €60k over asking.

Estate agent for House 1 got on to us about a week later, saying that the cash buyer had pulled out. Turns out that it was the same cash buyer bidding on both properties.

We got the house we wanted and so did they, but they drove the price of both houses up by about 10%. So nobody wins when people throw cash around like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭JohnJoFitz

Seeing similar. Same few faces at houses we were interesting in. Last 3 houses we got involved in went for at least 100K and in some cases 150K over the asking price.

I reckon the same few bidders on all three of them. If only a few people could have sat down together and discussed things, could have saved themselves huge money, but that is the way of it.

Post edited by JohnJoFitz on

Did you not also drive the price up? You were both bidding on two houses going by your post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭89897

Hey All, Question for those that moved from rented accommodation. We have bought a new build and have been told August is the target for completion and handing over keys, the are still saying they are on track for August and ESB will be the thing that delays anything. For those that moved and had to give notice how did you gauge this? We have to give 8 weeks and wouldnt mind a week or so cross over to get floors, applicances, internet etc done But would love to hear of others experiences. Thanks

Advertisement