Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steam Deck

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Great success! 👍

Good timing too, I'd hit 1GB remaining warning last night. And it was just those cache files!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Is there a budget way to connect the Steam Deck to my TV and just use a PS4/5 controller? Will I need the dock and/or keyboard mouse?

Just looking to add the option of big screen gaming, could do a 4-5m cable and have the Deck on the coffee table for touch controls if that worked.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,408 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

You'd need some sort of adapter or dock to power the Deck while also feeding the audio/video to the TV, no need for a kb or mouse though. I connect my Deck to a portable monitor via a USB-C cable and use a PS5 controller and it works fine (except it only slow charges the Deck). I was also looking at something like this to do the job:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

I use JASUX dock which was 20-30 quid.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You can connect the PS5 controller wirelessly to the Steam Deck. That is simply enough. Just press the share button and PS button at the same time to put it in pairing mode and then connect in the steam deck settings. Same for PS4/Xbox controller. No need for cables there.

The issue will be the Video stream to the TV.

You have a few options.

Steam Link: Both Physcial and App.

You can stream your Steam Deck to the Steam Link App using the remote play settings. What kind of TV have you? Some support the Steam Link App directly, but alternatively, a Fire Stick or Google Chromecast with google TV can do it too.

I think there is another app called Moonlight that does similar and seems to be available on more TVs.

You could look at Adverts and the likes for the old physical Steam Link Hardware. I have this and while it doesn't support 4K like the App (not that you need it with the Steam Deck) it does have physical USB slots for keyboard/mouse and controllers / USE dongles.

Docks:

You can get the official Dock and leave it beside the TV and just plug it in.

There are alternatives, for example, I got this one, and it works out at around €40. You can get cheaper versions but the important bit to check is that it lets you run push power through it. Then you will not run out of battery too fast.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07PSM6RQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I have used mine hooked to a 65" OLED Tv - not curved, but it is wide when you are sitting 1.2m from it. Works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Thinking about the steam deck for a while and decided to wait to hear more about the ROG Ally. 850 on curry’s Irish website. Ouch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

850, Jesus 🤦 why do we always get screwed, tbh you might as well get a steam deck with that jump in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Already seeing the clickbait articles about how the Ally destroys the Steam Deck. It would want to, it's more than double the price! They're two completely different handhelds in fairness.

It's funny seeing people saying 800p isn't good enough now that the Ally is 1080p. The Steam Deck has a higher dpi than a 16" RoG gaming laptop and isn't far off Apple's 13.6" retina display. There's no point sacrificing performance for a higher resolution for the sake of it. People seem to forget they had a budget in mind and it has also been out over a year which is a long time in the tech world.

It will be interesting to see what performance the Ally gets at 1080p compared to the Steam Deck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

TBH the early reviews are exactly as you'd expect: Windows has usability issues on a screen that size (although it obviously benefits from increased game compatibility), and the extra power comes at a big cost to battery life. The real-world performance gains are also much more mixed than Asus' marketing benchmarks suggest.

It does seem like a pretty nice device if you want a portable primarily to be played plugged in at home, and there's a power jump there. But it also shows why Valve made some of the design decisions they did with their hardware. It's the first serious contender in this space I think, but very expensive for what it is and I'd be surprised if it hits the same wider market sweet spot that Steam Deck has.

Honestly, once you're spending nearly a grand anyway... why not just get a gaming laptop?

Post edited by johnny_ultimate on

• Advertisement

I can't see it being a huge success here or Europe tbh, it's too expensive compared to either the steam deck or consoles.

I think these windows handhelds onky need to be slightly more sucessful than a regular gaming or budget laptop that the chip would otherwise be put in to be considered sucessfull. Think the ease of use on the steam deck (while still bery much a fiddly pc) is underrated though. Docking my steam deck to my TV is a miuch smooth expericne than any time I've tried connecteing a gaming laptop to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,438 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

I feel like the ROG Ally is both a good and bad thing for Steam deck users

Competition is always good at driving innovation and more of the handheld platforms will push for better support from developers

However, Asus jumping in at the highest price point is likely to give Valve an excuse to increase prices on the next iteration of the deck

Gabe has already said in an interview that the hardware cost of the deck is "painful" meaning the 64GB model is likely losing money and only makes sense because of the revenue Valve gets from the Steam store

So if the Ally is a success then I suspect Valve will just stop production of the 64GB deck and push the price point higher

After that it just becomes a money race like regular PC gaming and €1k+ handhelds will become the norm

I think this is counterproductive, one of the big appeals of the deck was it effectively gave you a PC gaming experience without spending thousands of euros

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

yeah I wen't with the 256 model but I would be disappointed if the base version was goen for the next interation. Playing off an sd card is fine for the type sof game I play on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I'm sorry I didn't check the thread and get back to you!

I ended up following a Youtube video!

Is there a cheaper version of the ally coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Supposedly but given the price of the launch model, I'd imagine cheaper is €749.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I'd assume developers will be more willing to optimise games for the Steam Deck rather than the ROG Ally.

I think the Ally has over shot the sweet spot in the market and will sell poorly. The Deck seems to have hit the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

Can confirm that the seller is completely genuine. Having sold my original Steam Deck at the time I wanted to get another one and picked mine up yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Yep, can confirm too! Sent one of the lads in work the link and he went and got a 256gb model.

He said it was perfect 👍

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Has anyone found out why he's selling them at a discount, by any chance?

I think he picked up a bunch in a Steam sale and is selling them on. He's probably making a profit on each even with the discount

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dextersnp

I'm thinking of buying a 2tb 2230 for the deck, but I can only find it on aliexpress and Scan, has anyone already bought a 2tb on one of these sites or any other? I would like to know how was the tax experience

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dextersnp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

SN740 2TB - arrived in just over 2 weeks

https://a.aliexpress.com/_mquVS4y

Hoping somebody here can help me out, looking to get a power bank for the steam deck to take with me on a 5 hour round trip (2 flights) - checked over adverts and a lot of them only go up to 22.5w - from my research (reddit) I need at least 35w to consistently charge the device while I am playing. I got a 25,000mah but never checked the output properly it only does 10w which did not charge the device at all while playing.

I have found lots of different power banks on Amazon but unfortunately none of them ship over here, does anyone know of anywhere that I could pick up one of these banks?

You can use An Post Addresspal but you'll likely get fleeced for taxes

Another option is to ship to a pickup point in NI and go and get it, if you're close to the border

Thanks, will look into this - I've seen some people try Ali Express but the delivery times are either a week or a year - where would I find these pick up points?

If you look on the Amazon website there's an option to get it delivered to a pickup location and it'll show a map of available locations

There's one in Newry post office, haven't used it myself but I think a few people have

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

If anyone wants one shipped up north I have an address up there that a friend lets me use and he brings me down stuff once a week.

Advertisement