Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I am trying to put myself in there shoes.

Move to a safe part of your own country that you speak the language and kids can continue education.

Or move to Ireland where you don't speak the language and your kids are going to struggle with education.

I am sure there are more reasons for Ukrainians to move to safe parts of Ukraine instead of Ireland but that's the first that comes to mind.

Now you tell me why Ukrainians would move to Ireland over safe parts of their own country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Are you going to link the racist things I've said please?

It's a serious allegation and I expect you to back it up.

What I don't understand is why the government are not moving these people to areas that want them.

The government can see where locals are protesting.

They can see for example the women from yesterday who was giving out cakes.

Why is she not pleading to move these people into her community where they will be safer?

Great to see them digging in down in Clare.

Hopefully it sets a precedent - consultation first.

Hopefully it gives more communities the confidence to speak out.

Minister for Integration Roderic O'Gorman has told Clare TDs and senators that it is not an option to close a hotel in Inch, Co Clare housing asylum seekers.

Local people want the hotel, which is around 8km from Ennis, closed to asylum seekers and say this is the only resolution satisfactory to them.

-RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Because ireland are offering help and the future of their country is completely uncertain? There are nuclear plants on the brink there too wouldn't be too keen living with that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The impact Roderic O’Gorman is permitted to have on the electoral prospects of multiple Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael TDs in marginal constituencies in the next election is absolutely astonishing.

I’ve never seen the likes of it before in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That's it exactly. The government should not be forcing communities to accept asylum seekers. They should be placing them only where they are wanted and welcome.

Simple as that really.

If they can move to safe parts of Ukraine then why would they need help from ireland?

Which parts of Ukraine where no war is going on have nuclear plants?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,997 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Registered Users Posts: 14,113 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

So you don't think any Ukrainians should need to leave because you have deemed there are safe parts? I personally would want to GTFO of the country in its current predicament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

NO PLACE in UKr is safe. Just follow the news from there and you will see that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

It's really scrapping the bottom of the barrel in terms of looking for support, do they think people won't join the dots between FFG failures on housing and the anger some people might misplace towards refugees being homed.

Not to mind the hypocrisy relating to the Jobstown protests. Is there still a young lad in jail over that?

Build homes not hate.

This was your reply TO ME earlier.

Quote the racist things I've said please.

This is the THIRD time I've asked you by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Field east

Of course there are ABSOLUTLY no sexual assaults committed by an Irish person !?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

O'Gorman is just the messenger. (Perfect messenger as there are queues of journalists ready with pens in hand in case anything bad is said about him.) Varadkar and Martin 100% know they are executing a policy that is detested by the vast majority of voters. Varadkar, Martin, O'Gorman et al are 100% not expecting to get rewarded domestically for this ultimate betrayal.

They know the shinners will top the poll next time.

It's almost as if they want them to inherit as many clusterfcuks as possible.

Genius.

I have sympathy for Ukrainians and have no problem with people genuinely fleeing war.

I am glad we have supported them but we are full now and have no accomadation.

It would be better for all if we used the money we are using here to house them in safe parts of Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Genuine question, what then is the motivation for the policy? This is something I've struggled to get my head around - why implement a deeply unpopular policy that ultimately they don't have to? Yes there are international treaties we have signed up to saying that we must protect refugees, but they do not outline such a permissive regime. Additionally, there are little by way of consequence for taking a narrow view of these treaties either, since other countries do the exact same without fear.

The only thing I can think of is that they believe opposition is soft or really that there is support. That may be the case where accommodation was localised in distinct communities, but with the number that are arriving, every county and town has them it appears that opposition is becoming more widespread. It was a mistake to place AS accom. in communities where they were not wanted.

If political unity breaks, which I think is ever more likely - then backtracking will become an absolute necessity.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Dslatt

Have you never heard of concern in Ireland over Sellafield?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

I wouldn’t say a zero refugee policy , but certainly more checks are required. I think there is an agreement between the government and mainstream media to pummel any person who takes issue with the current large influx of refugees. Dissenters are branded racist. The people in rural lreland have been starved of investment by successive governments, now we are being **** on from a great height by having huge numbers (in ratio to the small areas they are being sent) foisted on us…foisted being the correct term. All to make Leo and Co look good in Europe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

You're wrong.

The Vbet league (their premier league) is in full swing. (Shakhtar Donestsk is leading by two points from Dnipro if anyone is interested), so is the youth league.

The Dahk Daughters, one of Ukraines most popular female bands, are about to embark on a nationwide tour, and Dorofeeva, their biggest pop star, is in the middle of a nationwide tour - she's playing Kiev on the 31st if you can get over there. There are still some hotel rooms available.

The week-long Ukrainian Fringe theatre festival is on as usual this summer - one of the biggest theatre festivals in Eastern Europe - tickets are selling fast apparently.

Unilever has started a €20 million expansion to their factory near Kiev, which is expected to be ready for production in early 2024.

Not to be outdone, their big competitor Nestle is building a €40 million factory, creating 1,500 new jobs, in Smolyhiv.

Life in Ukraine is going on as usual, in perfect safety, in the vast majority of that huge country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

Build homes not hate- cute, but how many homes? Who's gonna build them- the leprechauns?

I think we build c25k homes a year. We took in 100k refugees and asylum seekers last year. We had an amnesty for illegals here and we had family repatriation for asylum seekers allowed stay as a cherry on top numbers wise!

English man who heads an Irish NGO on Newstalk just now. Said he knows that some of those protesting in Clare are from "extreme far right groups" says later in the interview that he doesn't know any of the people protesting. Of course nobody thinks to challenge this rubbish.

Repeatedly uses the term "céad míle fáilte" presumably to make us all believe he's as Irish as can be.

Unfortunately it seems its okay to insult people calling them racist or nazis etc without any proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,887 ✭✭✭enricoh

If anyone thinks biffo got a hospital pass off Bertie, it'll be nothing like the new government get!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,328 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

If political unity breaks, which I think is ever more likely - then backtracking will become an absolute necessity.

How does this happen though? All significant opposition position themselves to the left of FF/FG. To come out for restrictions on immigration sets themselves up to be slaughtered by the rest of the left as apologists for racism, far-right fellow travellers etc.

Any position other than complete and utter unquestioning submission to unlimited, fully-supported immigration, with no restrictions of any kind, is racist now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

We've known for years we need to be building more than 25k homes a year but haven't done a thing about it.

I can understand people's frustration at seeing refugees housed when there's a housing crisis.

But turning on the refugees is only blaming a symptom.

Build home not hate.

It's his go to cop out.

Same as people saying they all come from wars and persecution so we must assist.

All of them, like our table toppers Georgia which is a safe country.

Or Algeria, #2 in our table. Probably the most stable place in Africa.

Nobody allowed challenge this in public or they get torpedoed by the COVID #2, let's all feed the narrative, battalion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Radio interview with O'Gorman wrt to the happenings in Clare today link above

"Minister Roderic O’Gorman has refused to rescind the contract for Magowna House Hotel and also refused to apologise for not consulting locals before dumping asylum seekers in it.

In a video with with the county’s Oireachtas representatives, O'Gorman also stated that he is not negotiating with the property owner about reducing the number of asylum seekers residing there.

He said a return bus service, which is due to operate once a day, is also due to come on stream.

Fianna Fáil TD Cathal Crowe told Clare FM that he isn’t convinced that locals will take much comfort from the answers given today.

The locals have indicated their intention to continue to man the blockade “until December” if it comes to it."

Advertisement