Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DART+ (DART Expansion)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,629 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Found this online recently. Would have been nice of they had built it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Even then they couldn't figure out how to connect the Red Line up to the Green Line !

Interesting the prominence of Williamstown (now I think a vestigial area south of Blackrock College), and Windy Arbour as "Windy Harbour".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

There was an act of Parliament for a Sydney Parade - Ranelagh as well

That map is the 1887 proposal, it included a third track between Booterstown and Dún Laoghaire, primarily as a method to get mail coming in from Cobh to Dún Laoghaire directly (this predates the loop line)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,572 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The plans to accelerate mail and passenger travel in the days before planes (and faster ships even) would also have had a giant liner terminal in Mayo intended for the same purpose - you could get from London to Holyhead and then Dublin to Cobh or Mayo much faster than the equivalent sea time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭thomasj

Great find ! I'm guessing this map is from the late 19th century as Tara street bridge looks to be at the planning/construction stage and the lucan tramway is mentioned there (that closed in the 1890s some stage)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,366 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

It would be interesting to know what overall demand the dart expansion will have on the ESB network and if CIE have engaged ESB with a chosen voltage 3KVDC or 25KV AC in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

1.5kV or 3kV DC is the same really, its a balanced 3 phase load

25kVv AC is a single phase load, ESB networks will hate you. Its only in the last few years the tech has caught up to allow for taking in 110+ kV AC 3 phase and pushing out a single phase -/+ 25kV AC

Internally everything Alstom makes is a 1500V train as thats what the 15kV or 25KV gets converted to in the AC-DC link

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭brianc89

An absolute winge fest. Total ramble of nonsense. The shuttle service will offer more frequent trains than currently available. The only legitimate concern is older people not getting seats when they switch at Howth Junction.

To sum up their attitude, here's one quote:

"we are being sacrificed for Drogheda"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Registered Users Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭highdef

Thank goodness the residents of Baldoyle and Kilbarrack Lower (aka Bayside) won't be affected by this, only residents of Sutton and Howth. 😉

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think the Howth shuttle would be a brilliant improvement if they could get the service to be 10 min frequency, and improve Howth Junction to allow cross platform transfer.

A synchronised service so that an onward train was waiting would be brilliant.

Could the shuttle be driverless?

Does this station not already have cross platform transfer? I see this talked about but I don't understand the real issue here

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

As I understand the concept of 'cross platform transfer', Howth Junction would currently only facilitate it going in the south direction.

Anyone travelling from Dublin to Sutton/Howth would need to use stairs/lift at HJ to access the platform for the Howth shuttle. This is not considered CPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,690 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It would only be cross-platform southbound.

Northbound passengers would be required to use the bridge to change.

It would not be driverless as it will continue to be a normal heavy rail railway, with level crossings.

Okay understood thanks.

That's impossible at Howth Junction though, or is it? The whole point is to separate the Howth line from the main Dart line, so there is no possible way to facilitate CPT.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,388 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Yes, it seems a very complex piece of work to do at Howth Junction, or indeed anywhere. I tried to mentally do it with 3 tracks and 2 island platforms but beyond my brain.

This is it done superbly in China with dual-direction CPT - but needs 4 tracks and 2 twinned stations both with 2 island platforms. Unfeasible here, and realistically not actually needed.

English zhongnan & hongguang - Cross-platform interchange - Wikipedia

That's interesting thanks for that. You still have two separate platforms in any case.

If the Howth shuttle always pulled into the western platform at Howth Junction, then you'd achieve same platform transfer for inbound journeys. Only the outbound journey to Howth would require a platform change.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Even the cross-platform southbound is a long walk.

Yeah it's quite long if you're on the wrong side of the train, but like so many Dart stations in Dublin, you need to know which side of the train to get on.

So many stations are only accessible from one access point. Think Connolly, Raheny, GCD to name a few.

Well, a ten minute service might be accommodated by 2 car or 4 car trains, so the walk would be less. Northbound would be a long way for a buggy or a wheelchair - and impossible if the lifts are out of order.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,309 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The problem is the 4 railroad crossings will be down for circa 30mins of each hour at peak times meaning traffic chaos, this was from an Irish Rail study. If the Baldoyle Road and Sutton crossings could be tunneled/bridged for the train or the cars similar to the Kilbarrack Road that would resolve the problem. At a guess the compulsory purchase order and construction of the 2 crossings would cost north of €50million.

Well, one crossing looks from Google maps as a private crossing - the one nearest Howth. The major one is the one at Sutton - a very difficult one to get rid of because it is busy. A bridge or tunnel would be difficult because of the proximity of the sea.

The other two could be closed as there is an alternative bridge, but those affected might be unhappy. Perhaps similar bridges could be provided.

M

Yes the main problem for alternatives are the amount of homes and business built right up to the railway line limiting the options for a bridge taking cars over. Money no object I would put Sutton station underground and have the approaching rail underground before the Sutton Golf Club crossing (Howth side) and surfacing directly after the Baldoyle Road crossing, a distance of just over 1km, this would take the 3 railway crossings out of the picture forever and be a big benefit for the project.

The Sutton one requires either the road or track to rise by 5 metres or fall by 5 metres, or alternatively, one rises by 2.5 metres and the other falls be 2.5 metres.

I have no idea which option would be better, or cheaper.

M

Yes I think to put the track underground would have least impact on property around the track if it could be constructed by a dig and fill approach rather than tunnel boring machines. Project would be huge with rail on the route completely shut down while constructed, not ideal. Not sure if it would be better to keep it underground for the full 1km or to have entry and exit points to clear the level crossings instead, Sutton though would need station moved underground as it's too near the level crossing point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

If dropping the level of the rail tracks to pass under Baldoyle Road and Station Road, the depth of dig could be reduced by using battery trains. The OHLE could be removed and have charging at either end of the station. A bespoke lower train for the shuttle could perhaps be considered with lower stations on the branch but it would still have to be compatible with the mainline as maintenance would still have to happen at Fairview.

Sutton station could be shifted west a bit so it straddles Station Road, the trains would be shorter too, this could shave a bit off the distance to be lowered. Removing the LC on Station Road would only add to the disaster that is Sutton Cross though.

To get something clear here, at peak times there will be a train in each direction every 10 minutes. The trains in each direction could be timed to cross Sutton at the same time, so you'd only need to pull the barriers down for about 3 minutes (max) every 10 minutes.

It may not be 'that' simple but I'm not sure I buy the 50% closure claim. Is it legit?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Don't see it posted already, ABP have announced they'll be holding an oral hearing for Dart+ West - but haven't specified a date.

So, I guess this is progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭crushproof

Is this before or after another public consultation? Or another hearing? Honestly the amount of bureaucracy surrounding infrastructure projects is mind boggling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The oral hearing is statutory so has to happen. There was a time period for people to submit comments (for a fee), as with all planning applications. The BusConnects team decided to hold non-statutory consultations earlier in the process before the application was made.

Advertisement