Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leinster Team Talk Thread (Love you Furlong time)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,218 ✭✭✭crisco10

Don't really see how that's the case tbh. We've pretty much smashed them every time they've come to Dublin recently.

2019 Group stage: 29-13

2019 SF: 30-12

2022 SF: 40-17

Then another 20 point win in the SF itself this season.

We've never played La Rochelle in Dublin but they've a good away record in the T14 (relatively, not sure an actual good away record is possible in that league) and they've beaten Leinster the last two times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭ersatz

It's a bit like a traditional France v South Africa match up, France have always been better in terms of a style that's exciting and artful, but SA have very often strangled them to win.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Yes and no.

I get the argument that LAR are well suited to stifle Leinster, but I think Toulouse are not just a more attractive team, but a better team than LAR and I expect Toulouse to win the Brennus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,185 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

The obvious way to deal with such line speed is to chip over the top where there'll be plenty of space. But that's just not how Leinster play. Kicks over the top also leave you vulnerable to being counterattacked against. Just requires a bad bounce. Leinsters set piece attack has been a huge strength. They'll want to keep ball in hand as much as possible to manipulate the defensive line and create gaps.

I guess what Leinster will do is keep the ball in hand, pummel the breakdown and eke penalties out of La R. If you go for the corner and keep the ball in a maul you negate the defences line speed somewhat. They're very fast off the line at set piece, but if you can get penalties out of them that'll get the referee on their case too.

We'll need hyper accuracy at the set piece for that however. That's what let us down last season

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,484 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I think the complete opposite on Baird. He covers so much ground and has almost trademarked the ice-skater sweep tackle. He's best when he gets time from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Was looking at some highlights yesterday with this very thought in mind. Ulster are a great example here of what NOT to do against that kind of defense, i.e., flat attacking shape (nobody behind ball carriers to clean), lazy lateral passing from 9 to 10 to a midfielder (buys the La Rochelle defense line enough time to get over the gain line and hit them for negative gain).

Leinster will be going immediately into contact off each pass in their box shape. Once the shotguns can clean out effectively, any and all advancing La Rochelle defenders will now be offside. There'll be gaps to attack and penalties to be won.

Contrast Leisnter's shape in the phases (link: starting from the lineout at 2:08 on the game clock) leading up to Alldritt's first turnover in last year's final. Flat, isolated runners.

One year later, look at their shape in their very first set of phases (link: starting with Keenan taking it into contact at 0:20 on the game clock). Ball only ever goes to a player with at least one, usually 2 forwards within 2 yards. Quick recycle each time and Henshaw is eventually away into a gap.

If I'm ROG, I'm watching what Munster did - get up fast, use good tackling technique, but don't compete. Instead, fan out, keep the numbers balanced on each side. Make the shotguns surplus to requirements (i.e., they have nobody to clean) and use that man advantage to can keep pressuring them and try move them back up the field.

BUT, two crucial things. The first is fitness. If you move Leinster back, they'll eventually kick it to you, but keep it in play. Your fullback now has to either give them a set piece around midfield or kick it back to Leinster. Leinster murder teams on transition, and will be more than happy to ratchet up the ball-in-play time.

The second, is the personnel that Leinster will be bringing in this week, who Munster didn't face. Doris and Ryan in particular, who will add so much to their attacking play.

tl:dr - Leinster will combat the LaR blitz with their box formation. LaR won't be able to do what they did to Ulster in that clip, or even to Leinster last year. They also don't have the fitness to do what Munster did to Leinster, and the latter will have superior personnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I think he has huge moments in defence owing to freakish athleticism and power but his overall number of contributions could be more consistent.

I realise I'm splitting hairs because we've the luxury of debating between several top class operators but I reckon it's the closer analysis that separates them. Baird has played 278 minutes of rugby in Europe. In that time he has:

Made 29 tackles. Missed 11 tackles. Conceded 6 turnovers.

Conan has played 422 minutes of rugby....he has:

Made 52 tackles. Missed 1 tackle. Conceded 4 turnovers.

Baird has improved significantly since he emerged. He played an hour or so against La Rochelle in 2021 and was anonymous. He's a totally different player at this stage.

What Baird brings currently are those big, game defining contributions. And I think he has a very good record of delivering some of those from the bench too such as the penalty win against Scotland last season or his performances off the bench against Scotland (granted it was early but the opening 25 minutes was frenetic) and Italy this season. I think his USP is magnified when he comes into a game where other players are feeling the speed and his athleticism comes to the fore.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Rumored to be Castore but nothing confirmed as yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭DelMcG

That would be sub optimal. Most Saracens & Quins fans are deeply unimpressed with the quality & the pricing of their gear.

• Advertisement

I work in Ballsbridge and they've started adorning the EPCR and Champions Cup branding on all the light posts on the Shelbourne Road and Lansdowne Road.

It's getting very real now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭eire4

O boy I hope not. The quality of their kit is dreadful. That would be a major step down from Adidas. Never mind how over priced they are for such poor quality. No Leinster kit for me if it is Castore:(

I think a player like Doris would have made a huge difference to us last week. The way Munster were resourcing rucks, he would have gone through the middle of them. Munster flooded the area we were trying to attack with our “box shape”. Hopefully we will have learned to move the attacking point away from there if LAR try the same.

The quality of the Adidas stuff is awful, especially considering the price of it. Cheap iron on tat, that doesn’t wash well. I have no idea what Castore stuff is like as they mostly do soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭PMC83

I was reading on a facebook group today that it could be Nike

I’m surprised the announcement is being left so late.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Baird's athleticism puts him in positions where it isn't necessarily the worst thing he is missing some of his tackles. Yes, he misses them but he funnels the player back where there are reinforcements (like kick chases or shooting out of the line).

He gets to spots where most backrows aren't so comparing him to another isn't a like for like, at times he is more like a back - where good tacklers can have a lot of missed tackles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,406 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The last couple of years the adidas gear has been nice, few duffers before that. Are Castore the crowd doing the Irish soccer gear? I hope not as that’s truly awful stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭eire4

Well if you think the Adidas kit was poor you will really not like Castore at all. Even worse quality same high prices.

• Advertisement

I know some people were asking about a fan village for the final.

It doesn't appear that there is an official EPCR organised event l, but the Leinster Supporters Club have two going at the Sandymount Hotel and at Lansdowne Rugby Club for anyone interested.

Also, there's a lot of Rugby pubs that will cater to fans for the final. Which is why there's probably no need for an official area. Most places along Merrion Row and Baggot Street will have the banners etc out for the final. Doheny & Nesbitt; Searsons; Toners etc will be definitely.

Ballsbridge is probably the unofficial central hub. The Bridge; Horse Show House; Crowes; Mary Macs will all be jammed. Same with The Bath; The Old Spot; Ryan's; Slatterys.

A good place to go before or after the game is the Gingerman Pub on Fenian Street. Always plenty of Leinster fans on match days but it's far enough away from the Aviva (20 mins walk) that it won't be out the door.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,605 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Right. It's because of the star players at Toulouse. Ntamack, Dupont, Ramos etc. The squad is outrageous. They probably underachieved this year.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Beware the Sandymount Hotel. Pint prices are very high, was €7 last November and possibly higher now.

They know there are no other convenient watering holes for anyone who has to enter the stadium at Wanderers / Lansdowne rugby club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

If you are nervous about game on sat ,then don't listen to Wednesday night rugby on OTB, Williams and GT basically say LR are better all over field. Was mentioned Leinster will try and run them off pitch, build phases . GT and Williams not buying it, saying it doesn't happen against LR. They are going for LR win.

Also interesting the amount of players ROG has bought, but it's not really mentioned anywhere. Its always LR the small family club and they just highlight how good ROG is and don't bring up the cheque book.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Also D'Arcy in the Irish Times, who has penned a ridiculous article that is purely about downplaying expectations, suggesting that everything at the weekend is stacked against Leinster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I would have considered it fairly universally known that La Rochelle have spent big on that squad and compete at the top level financially.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Ah I know but the narritive in media is Leinster are the big bucks, LR small family club who ROG dragged from obscurity, like underdog story. At end of day they bought big, and didn't develop any players.

Advertisement