Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

I use first cycling and pro cycling stats. Far easier than that horrendous Giro site and just as quick

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Ineos somehow have 5 riders in the top 11 on GC. You'd wonder if they will start trying to send some of them in early hail mary type breaks just to make the other teams chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,718 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Na it's just not the Ineos way. They have become more of a normal team with Brailsford gone but still too conservative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I don't think they'll do it in the way you're suggesting, but if Ineos defend the Jersey in a traditional fashion by having a rider go with any potentially threatening breaks, there's a 2/3 chance that rider is in the top 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,172 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Stage 11

This should be a sprint stage. The only question is what shape the sprint trains are in after a grueling stage 10.

I think they'll be fine and it'll be a bunch sprint and I'll take Mads Pederson to win this one. I don't think the sprint teams will let any more than three get away in a break.

I don't think it'd be a good idea to try a breakaway from the beginning of the stage. If it's going to happen it should start with 85km to go when they hit a not too difficult climb which averages 4.2% and goes on for approx 9km.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Michael Matthews try something there.

• Advertisement

Soudal down to 3 riders now. Breakaways will have chances because there isn’t a dominant sprint team. Trek are the closest but in a flat sprint, Milan and Groves are quicker. Bahrain (GC) and Alpecin (numbers) won’t control

The Cima Coppi climb up St. Bernard has been cut from stage 13 due to snow.

My enthusiasm for this Giro has really nosedived since the day after Healy won.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,388 ✭✭✭Macy0161

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Maybe the weather extremes are part of the modern allure of the Giro, but they do seem to take away from the cycling itself. Shame, because an Italian 3 week stage race should have everything you would want. The average man on the street would never associate Italy in summer with miserable rain, snow and freezing temperatures. Italy should be gelato, vino and cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I think Remco leaving and the general wave of Covid/other illnesses is taking the gloss off it for me a little. Now waiting for the high mountains to see where Eddie Dunbar is at.

• Advertisement

He was “feeling under the weather” according to Robbie McEwan who calls him a mate. He said yesterday he was feeling better on comms, but it was a pig of a day so who knows

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

I'm currently just over the border from northern Italy and the weather really has been miserable for the last week. Cold wet and grey - all the mountains above 1500m got fresh snow over the weekend. Went down to see what the stage 20 ITT course looks like and if it goes ahead it will be spectacular. It's a very narrow freshly laid concrete bike path that climbs about 1000m in about 8km. Was going to ride it but the gradient scared me - did the Mortirolo last summer and that was enough punishment for for me. The first 2 or 3k looks absolutely brutal. Fingers crossed that the weather improves for that 3rd week.

Expecting to see an attempt to get away on this climb. If they get away we might have a great finale if not it's a bunch sprint. The current breakaway won't be a problem for the peloton.

Would the Cat 4 not be a better / steeper launching pad?

Might well be. I just looked at the climb with just under 85km to go which was a good length and if the sprint trains were tired you could get a gap and make it big enough on the cat 4 to go all the way.

Geoghegan-Hart out now. Primo feeling his leg and backside.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Dunbar might win this yet if he stays upright!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Yeah TGH out. Whoever that was cutting across Rodriguez on a descent will/should be in trouble.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Rodriguez looking pretty ropey there now too 😕

😁 Nice one.

It reminds me of when I was a kid in a car with my dad listening to the legendary Irish soccer commentator Philip Green. We were on our way home from a soccer match. He said that Paul Magee, Jimmy's son, appeared to be carrying an injured calf. My dad immediately went 'whats a calf doing on a soccer pitch?' and the four kids in the car, myself included, all laughed hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

First bit of the giro I've caught live this year. a good commentary team. nice plug for mountain biking and cx as ways into competing too 😀

but yep.. unfortunate falls there. hope both ok

This finish will be interesting, the sprint teams had to work hard to get back on. How much will they have left for the finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I saw a text update that Sivakov is six to seven minutes behind the peloton... so Eddie will jump from 9th to 7th in GC.

Yes, but there is less than 30 seconds covering 7th to 11th place. Arensman is on the same time as Eddie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,378 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

That's true. But at least with Arensman (8th) and De Plus (9th), when push comes to shove they will probably have to sacrifice their GC positions to work for Thomas.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,648 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What a sprint by Milan all the same, unbelievable speed from that far back, he was about 10 riders back going into that last corner, at least 100m behind the front 3

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The weather has always played a huge part in the Giro. Google images “Merckx Giro” and you’ll see him covered in snow, wearing short sleeves. The giro should involve dealing with rain and snow, it’s tradition since the race started

Small correction, it isn’t summer in Italy yet. It’s spring. May being summer is only in Ireland, and possibly the UK.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement