Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

I’m lucky enough to have been born after that, but I did go to college during the recession in 2010. It took me years to get a decent job after college and now I have one, I am still living pay check to pay check. The 50% rent increase because of lack of housing hasn’t helped.

it’s clear the government won’t fix the housing problem in this country. Why do we keep letting people in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

No they are coming because we are wealthy and probably a soft touch. We are wealthy because of the multinationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I find it bizarre that the left are so pro "undocumented" asylum seekers, welcoming everyone from countries that are extremely anti LGBT.

Do these folk just turn Pro LGBT when they pass immigration. I already know the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have been wondering recently why the EU isn't making noises about our windfall corp tax amounts despite the fact that we increased our corp tax relate recently. They know that big corps are funneling revenues thru Dublin to avail of the relatively low rate. There hasn't been a peep about the windfall forecasts. I wonder is that because FFG are being obedient when it comes to asylum seeker numbers.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭donaghs

It’s not that strange. If the improvement in quality of life has more pros, than the cons of leaving everything behind, lots of people will always do it.

Lots of Irish people left a safe country in the 80s to take their chances working illegally in America. There were jobs there, and they wasn’t much in Ireland.

that would explain all the Georgians and Albanians who want to come to Ireland.

add in real poverty, and sometimes conflict, and it’s a no-brainier that Ireland is better option for so many.

how Ireland copes with unpredented immigration driven population growth is another question…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mykrodot

looking down the road, into the future on this issue.........where are all these single young men going to find a woman, a mate, a partner for life? On Tinder? Are Irish women going to swipe right on them? Because in reality there aren't enough women to go around, all these guys seem to be in the same age group, they are not bringing women with them. So what does the future hold for them here ????

That's only one of a million questions we should be asking, fast forward 5 or 10 years, what will be happening? What will our crime rates be like, sexual assaults etc..................?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

There is fundamental problem with that argument - the US has the ability to absorb enormous numbers of people due to scale and population.

We do not. We have a total population smaller than many large cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Archduke Franz Ferdinand

mickey Martin is as woke as they come he will slavishly follow Leo on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

But you do understand the term capacity, you just mentioned that we don't have enough housing.

A hospital that can care for 100 people adequately, is beyond capacity if it must care for 130.

Turning hotels into refugee centres is a symptom of over capacity.

The development of shanty towns is a symptom of over capacity.

And so forth.

It is clearly evident that this country is over capacity right now.

There's no point talking about theoretical policies while more and more people arrive. "We could build a megacities in the sky", yeah, we could, but it doesn't make it probable.

Those are pie in the sky dreams versus harsh lived reality.

We are over capacity right now. There is no sign, whatsoever, of any improvement, or plan, or strategy, or event that will change the immediate, medium, or long term future.

As for where I'd rather live in time, I'd like to live now. Like a burgeoning majority in this country, we don't have time for games and theories and what-ifs and perhaps and if-only's.

We are being forced into a position that is clearly and demonstrably to our detriment. There isn't a peep of the benefit, I would wager that's because there is no benefit.

How long do people put up with a government that offers them no positives of a situation, but the inherent promise of deepening negatives?

Not long. And how could it ever have been different?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

At various stages in their history, New york for example had numerous surges in immigration which resulted in numerous problems that they overcame. People can say that they never gave free welfare to the unskilled irish that arrived there in the famine years but im sure alot of new yorkers then were saying they were " full up".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Were all vetted, no criminal records, I fear some released or escaped prisoners are coming here, our prisons with netflix etc., are luxury for them

We cannot manage our own criminals who should have longer punishments so why take on other countries criminals

Where are the wars they are fleeing from, I'm surprised aliens haven't arrived claiming running from Ukraine over the war which is in one part

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Does anyone know have any of these men been vetted?

How do they get the records of men who claim to come from the like of Somalia or Afghanistan???

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

And you’ll have the chief enabler Varadkar out front and centre at the next pride March. All insincere grin arrogant sound bites and hunting for votes and handshakes…an absolute disgrace of a man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But see here's the problem (and you're right in what you say by the way)

We're told that we have to support these people because they're fleeing war and persecution - not that they're in search of a better paycheck and lifestyle.

There's certainly opportunities for those people too. Look and apply for a job, get hired and work and contribute here legally. No issue with that whatsoever!

The problem is that we are being asked to compromise and sacrifice our own paychecks and lifestyles to accommodate randomers in the second group who are trying to bypass that step by claiming they're part of the first group - and thereby in fact stealing resources from those who actually need and deserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

AFAIK they all can claim from war savaged Ukraine despite coming from Georgia, Algeria and so on, do our incompetent government even try tracing who they really are, finger prints, pasts etc., just let them stay even with no documents on arrival

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Yes, back when people were living 12 to a room, living in near starvation, and children were as likely to die in infancy as they were to survive.

People have a slightly higher expectation of how they should live now.

Unless you think the Irish should go back to living like we did in the early 1800's so we can accommodate every chancer that wants to come here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

O’Gorman explained that 10,000 beds have been added to the system since January, 

Amazon how we can house 10000 people but could never solve the homeless problem.

I work with many people of different nationalities who have all come to Ireland via the legal route. I absolutely support vetted controlled immigration.

I DO NOT support unvetted unskilled hordes of single young men being shoved into a community. With nothing to do all day.

One very important consideration is cultural assimilation. These young men mostly come from countries which do not value women or regard them as equals. They need to be educated that they are now in a very different environment and they need to respect our value set. I would make this non negotiable before any asylum application was accepted.

Reports that one of the new Dublin centres will be in Dun Laoire.. Govt being very cute. People there are too nice and woke to get out protesting. The accommodation is the old senior college on the same street as a new Niche accommodation centre for students. Would I like it if my young college going daughter had rented in the Niche complex? Absolutely not I would be very concerned for her safety.

This will be very interesting as it plays out in South Co Dublin.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Drop any further discussion about the current situation in Ukraine. There is a thread dedicated to the conflict. This thread is about Ireland's refugee policy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,329 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

But I don't see how this

the more people will reach to the right to find a balance.

is going to happen if no party of this type

the space exists for a centre right party to clean up.

I know some of us wouldnt like to admit it, but a tory party with Bravermans approach would win votes country wide at this stage.

comes forward, and it's hard to see how they will in time for the next election, given no efforts to establish one have come into the public domain

As I've said the establishment will continue to ignore this

the lurch to the right is the only exit route.

as an empty threat until it starts happening in the real world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

You'd be surprised by the people around this area. They wont take any **** if these lads move in and kick off.

Just what we needed anyway, more lads sitting on the church wall all day with the junkies 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

The front doors are pretty much facing each other

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've heard some crazy sh1t on boards but blaming refugees for the state of our healthcare system tops the lot.

We've near doubled our per capita spending in the past twenty yet services are largely worse.

30bn on the HSE and how much of that going to gougers? Management consultants, pr firms, quango charities, luxury offices.

How much to private temp agencies pocketing multiple of hourly rates for nurses and care workers?

How much managing the logistic mess that is our public/private split on antiquated IT systems.

How much to FFG cronies for mystery consultancy fees, remember Rehab?

All FFG can do is spend ever more on privitization and put the likes of Harris, the college dropout and office assistant in charge.

All of that and more, and people can point the finger at a few poor, misfortune refugees as the problem.

A new low.

Build homes not hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s an absolutely crucial point…. They hadn’t got the want or will to do it for people who share the same passport,country and who pay their wages… but as soon as a little international pressure is on for refugees getting help…he is all over it… almost like someone else is pulling the strings, almost like our politicians are in zombieland as regards their own citizens and paymasters but will sit bolt up and prepared to move heaven and earth for anyone in trouble in an international context.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

By virtue of the fact that these people are refugees, and are claiming asylum, they are not vetted before they flee (how could they be?) and as their asylum application is processed their records will be checked if available.

If it is found that they are criminal they will, eventually face deportation. If they are refused asylum they are asked to leave or deported but they, many of them, go underground before that can happen.

Many will leave Ireland for Europe illegally as Ireland is too small to stay unnoticed for long, even in cities.

I don't agree with all the hype about certain refugees culture and supposed crime waves. It hasn't materialised despite much touting from interested parties.

We have plenty of indigenous scumbags in this country who are well capable of worse. And have been running rings around our gardaí and legal system for years.

I do agree that with a small country with limited resources housing, education and healthcare but not money or jobs, we need to take stock. A discussion about how much is enough /too much, and put more money into policing, processing and deportation, as well as communicating better with communities all over the country so that the extreme right don't fill that void with hate and panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Yeah, when did you last phone your GP for an appointment (that you will pay for) and how long did it take?

A month plus round here to get an appointment in the local town.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

We may wonder if any of these lads are not actually fleeing war but death threats from drug gangs that they've crossed? Are we importing criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

I think you’re dreaming if you think that building in Dun Laoghaire will ever accommodate immigrants. Funnily enough,the Santry and Clondalkin centres are already kitted out and ready to go. We’re told the DL centre won’t be ready for months. Ha ha, it will fade out of memory. That Dun Laoghaire centre was just thrown in to stop people saying that these centres are always located in relatively poorer areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well according to Peadar Toibin on RTE the other night most of them wont be deported because although a couple of thousand orders were signed over the past few years only about 400 actually left the country.

Until we have a system like they have in other countries where the person is actually put on the plane out of here when an order is signed the illegals will just disappear into the rest of the population.

But sure we give an amnesty to overstayers and those who ignore deportation orders here so all they have to do is wait until the next one is announced.

Advertisement