Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,901 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Perhaps exemplified lately by Han Solo in Force Awakens: it was set 30, 40 years in the future yet Solo was still playing Smuggler, after all this time and being a General during the Revolution?

Yes that was stupid but what else should you expect from JJ Abrams certainly not an intelligently written film anyway. The only one I could think coukd have done it worse was that Transformer director called Bay. I forget his first name.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭Evade

At least in the old EU he got all mopey and regressed to his younger days because some extra galactic aliens plunged the galaxy into war, endangering his three children who were all on the frontlines, and dropped a moon on his best friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Yes that was stupid but what else should you expect from JJ Abrams certainly not an intelligently written film anyway. The only one I could think coukd have done it worse was that Transformer director called Bay. I forget his first name.

Burnham

Ms

So it's exactly 130 years before Archer meats the Borg. 130 years from now in fact a lot less than that we will have faster than light travel or Warp speed. I do not see it happening in the next 200 years myself. I think we will have colonies on the moon and Mars and maybe on a few other moons in our solar system and one or two other planets but do I think we will have left it yet.

What do fellow trekies think?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I dunno - it's only a hundred years ago or so that electrification started, 50 years since the home computer - all it needs is some small leap to lead to even bigger leaps - there's numerous people researching space travel, only needs one break through

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I'm increasingly of the worry the human race will even last the next 100 years at all; nevermind inventing warp drive or something of that ilk. We're not on a great path ATM.

To get into the actual spirit: whatever about the impossibility of FTL travel, I've always loved the idea of the Alcubierre Drive. Not breaking physics, just fudging them to appear to be going at FTL speeds, only not lol. I believe the power needed though makes it too much of a theory for now.

You can't colonise any planets other than Mars, they're either too hot or too gas giant-y. Any FTL tech, like the Alcubierre drive, would need to be orders of magnitude faster than light to actually make colonising other solar systems a reality. Pre-ring gate expanse levels are probably a more likely future.

Ms

Yes very true. I think it will have to be one hell of a leap do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

I know its not technically not a planet now ( However in my mind it still is a planet) and is on the very edge of our solar system or at the least its further out than any other planet but I think we could develop the tech to be able to colonise cold planets like Pluto. Also we will colonise the moon even do it us not a planet. I always love looking up at it when it's is bright in the Sky and imagining what it would be like with some globe city's on it but also knowing how lucky we are with it to not be like that

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Not really, I just think the characters are too sarky and knowing in the new shows. The old trek showed a future where people are a bit more principled and civilized which was expressed in their somewhat formal interactions. Also there are countless examples of people who remain the same awkward individuals later on or with whatever personalities that have. It just felt like the characters were puppets for all too knowing Californian writers tailoring the show at upwardly mobile Silicon Valley tech bros.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Saw the first ep of SNW, definitely more in keeping with tru-Trek. Yeah, it would have been amusing to see them in spandex uniforms. But seriously, I agree about the stupid hipster jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Rawr

I think we'll need to find and confirm a "Goldilocks Planet" (Aka...a "Class M Planet" to my fellow Trekkies) somewhere in our bit of the galaxy to drive people to develop FTL space-travel to get to it.

With the possible exception of terraforming Mars, I think we really need somewhere habitable to go in order to make it worth venturing out.

Unfortunately there aren't that many systems even within 10 light years. Chances of Minshara class in that handful is, regrettably, low

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

I'm old enough to remember when the chance of finding any planet was low.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ye canna change the Laws of Physics however. If we find life on these planets we'll never meet them - and given the speed of light, isn't it possible we're only seeing evidence of life that could well already be dead millions of years? (by the time the light arrived here?)

Anyway, I'd say the moons of Jupiter might yield life sooner, and closer to home. That'd be something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

given the speed of light, isn't it possible we're only seeing evidence of life that could well already be dead millions of years? (by the time the light arrived here?)

Um, no? You see light from a star that's four-and-a-bit light years away (like Proxima Centauri), that light took four-and-a-bit years to get here. Not millions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Well they said the chances of anything coming from Mars were a million to one.

Oh yeah, clue's in the name eh. Sigh. I need some sleep.

Still, definitely someone who's more excited to get a probe through the ice of Europa than whether there's life on some distant, incalculably distant place across the universe. I feel like squid discovered on that moon might be more transformative than aliens on Proxima.

Actually, let me amend that. The people who think it was real cos I guarantee that "Life Discovered on X" would be jumped on by the internet's contrarians and alt-right types as another Agenda / Conspiracy.

We find life anywhere in Alpha Centauri or within that 10 LY radius it'll be as real time as you can get. With light being 4 years for Alpha Centarui and a max 10 years old elsewhere

We're finger close to the technology to make it to AC in 50 years and not that far off doing it in under 25 (one way!). What would be needed is a concerted push from the global political community. We've been stuck in the mud for 50 years, when it comes to propulsion tech with Ion drives being barely used because there has been no real need (necessity being the mother of invention and all that)

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

It was definitely transformative for the crew of the ship in the Europa Report.

• Advertisement

That reminds that the second story of Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen was a fantastic spin on War of the Worlds. It remains a borderline disgrace the only adaptation we got was that awful, truly awful Sean Connery film.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,392 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's sad that if we do ever properly get to space with warp drive or acuberrie drive or jump drive....we'll probably be the bad guys.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Registered Users Posts: 25,565 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It will probably turn out we were the mirror universe all along.

I disagree. While I take a more pessimistic view on our future these days, if we advanced enough such that we could build an Alcubierre Drive then clearly we've collectively focused ourselves enough to have shaken off our worse impulses. Alcubierre is probably the tech of, what, a Type II civilisation? I couldn't see us getting there without really getting over ourselves.

The whole idea of "we have to come together to advance" doesn't really work because competition drives advancement more than total cooperation. The form of the competition is definitely up for debate nations/super-corporations/etc. but a one world government all pulling towards a common goal seems unlikely without external competition pressure i.e. aliens.

This is why the look and feel, of Picard season 3, was more trek than anything in 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 13,046 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Can you provide context for us who don't know the behind the scenes faces please.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,235 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

They're Michael Okuda, Terry Matalas, Akiva Goldsman (I think), and Denise Okuda.

• Advertisement

Behind Matalas

Mike Okuda, Doug Drexler, Denise Okuda

Advertisement