Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Might we just need more GPs?

How much have waiting times increased in relation to the population increase brought about by refugees?

I'd wager a pretty penny the figures don't come close to matching.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Well apparently theres absolutely no vetting so your guess is as good as anyone’s

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

such a party might win votes country wide from the far right and those they whip up certainly but here is the thing, they ain't giving you what you want either.

the tories aren't going to control immigration, if they were then they would have resourced the perfectly good system they had properly and increased resources, but instead they defunded it to create a crisis to whip up the only support base they actually have now because general tories are sick of them and their crap.

the tory party are not centre right and haven't been since 1979, they are a fully right party who bankrupt a country and throw away money on tax cuts for the rich while not investing in the country.

leo is correct that one can't vito who lives in their area, that's how it should be, areas can't stay the same indefinitely, that's just not realistic.

the reason buses of refugees are having to be brought in in the middle of the night is because of the violent far right, because dispite the fact dialogue is being had, the far right are whipping up people who believe crap on facebook.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Good try but number of GPs in this practice has increased over the years. Only a small point, but one of the many pressure points when you increase the population, give people medical cards but do sweet FA to develop basic services to meet the new demand.

As suggested above, these lads should be given one year work permits and let them go rent their accomm and pay their own living expenses. After a year, review and any not working - deport. At least then we might have a level playing field in local jobs at lower paid levels where young Irish people start off.

Reports say the asylum seekers will be housed in the old Senior college? I'm not sure where that is in relation to the Niche complex?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭hymenelectra

What's the plan?

When there is clearly detriment for irish people, then spell out the benefits? What's the problem with that? Is it that there is no benefit, only detriment, hence the silence? That at least adds up.

As far as I can see, I haven't heard anything coming close to a plan. Its just wild abandon.

This is not a political issue, this isn't about left or right or middle. There isn't enough capacity, and no spin is going to change that. We have a tangible, worsening problem facing the country.

This situation is definitively out of control.

I think you're wrong as there was previously some years ago another asylum seekers accommodation centre in Dl. Very low key and no issues. But in a very different time.

I actually hope it does get used. Because I think there's a lot of virtue signallers will reconsider this issue differently if their area is flooded by young men hanging round their shops and public spaces.

If the government and opposition want to put their efforts into helping people that arent Irish without regard for the irish, then they should walk out and join the United Nations.

If they want to follow their mandate, as the Irish government, elected by Irish people, to look out first and foremost for irish people, in Ireland, then these boys are mad incompetent.

They are factually going against the grain of Irish society, and that is simply the opposite of what they're paid for.

How much did the population increase by?

I'd guesstimate a 2 percent population increase in the last few years due to protection seekers, that's what's broken health and housing?

Nonsense

What is the plan here though?

What is the vision?

The situation is so far out of control, people are focused on the latest mess, and then the latest mess, and the latest mess. There isn't a mention of a plan.

So the government keeps stuffing people into every building they can find, until what?

They'll knock up prefab units to get people into, they'll set up tents, barracks, hotels, let shanty towns develop, until what?????

The healthcare system utterly collapses? The population is literally unpoliceable? Money runs out? There's a deficit of a million homes? Schooling falls apart?

Which particular red line are we waiting to be crossed before this government dares fart out a thought as to the future?

We are regressing into a malfunctional society, and if you think that sounds dramatic, tell me all about the secret plan that nobody's heard yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

The Minister for Integration will be the position nobody wants, kind of like what Health and Housing has been up to now

Will be interesting to see if the shinners are in power after the next election if one of them volunteers to take it.

The minister for disintegration?

Anytime any person, or td, or government, or opposition wants to put forward anything as to a plan, literally anything, people are waiting to listen. Very impatiently.

Madness as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

We’ve had a near 2% increase in population in the last year from protection seekers alone - that’s a massive jump in so short a time.

Nobody is blaming refugees for the state of housing and the healthcare system, but please explain to me how adding tens of thousands of people into these already strained systems won’t make things even worse?

Not only are we spending billions on all these newcomers, it also means more competition for scarce housing etc for us i.e. the people that are paying for all of this in the first place. It’s a lose lose for Irish taxpayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Children's hospital was supposed to be less than 500m and be built by 2018. It's now well over 2 billion and they have no final cost figure or opening date. Some folks connected to FG are making a killing on it. Reilly knows...

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭Gen.Zhukov

You might be on to something there

Last Feb the situation was like this below - Gannon (SD's) had to drag this info out of Rodders

DL post code is A96 I believe and doesn't register. AS's and not UA's

D14 was doing really well at a massive 0.1% and Balbriggan too (which is interesting)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I said that in my post.

Read it through maybe.

People used to be actively deported, then the money to do it was pulled. Now people are meant to have to fund their own' deportation '! They just disappear.

Choices will have to made. Either go down the illegal route like UK which has not been found to work, or let people in, process quickly, police properly , so they can' t disappear when its not going well and deport those that don't pass , actively , as in we put them on a plane with 2 guards like we used to .

First way lies chaos, second way more expensive but less chancing the system, eventually, once they know we are in charge of it.

And the real refugees are not penalised.

As I also said in the previous post, a discussion on how much we as a society we can cope with has to happen.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Why is O'Gorman still in charge of housing refugees? A first term Green TD. How is he qualified for this role during a housing crisis? Why aren't the other cabinet members standing up to help and formulate a credible plan or policy? The experienced FFG boyos are keeping the head down. He has asked for assistance and was ignored. Why is that?

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I get what you're saying but I think the impact is far less than people here are making out, and I really don't think any of the effort being made to house refugees was going to be put to the general population anyway.

If you take the alternative approach and go for a further right, zero refugee policy what would that achieve?

How attractive do you think we'd be for foreign investment and skilled workers, including doctors and nurses, if we followed a hard right or Brexit style isolationist approach?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,064 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Lucas on the tonight show VMTV 1.

Because of Irish he lost his document from Brazil and Portugal.?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Delighted they're putting a centre in Dun Laoighaire one of the nicest parts of Dublin in my opinion. This is what you all wanted. Bet there'll be no concerned locals out protesting and blocking roads over it either because they'll be busy working and living their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

"Irish tax payers" include non nationals by the way. An estimated 500,000 workers and tax payers are immigrants (2022 figures).

What you doing here spreading ...sense ...like that?! 😊

Agreed, put all the AS centres in south Dublin.

If importing doctors and nurses were improving the health system, they've had many years to prove it. In many ways it is worse than ever. So that's a natch, that old wives tale can be put to bed.

As to the handwringing about the magical economy and we'll scare it off, well wheres all the money then? A glorified unfinished wing on a hospital?

If the economy is so outrageously great, why is everything falling to bits?

There's more than a hint of a magicians trick at play here, I'm sure more and more people are questioning it too. It simply does not add up.

This is not a political issue. The facts cannot be altered by saying it in a different way, or from a different mouth.

Or spread them throughout the city and country

No, better to put them in areas where they are welcome

• Advertisement

Until they stop them coming or whatever? Meanwhile they have to be held somewhere until we stop taking them.

Advertisement