Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

I'm getting a serious whiff of Cute Hoor from this lad. So, you know that we have an accommodation crisis, even if you do have a legal visa and enter that way.

Sure instead, why not be an 'International Protection' applicant where you can get free accommodation eventually and all the other trimmings and get your visa sorted too.

Seriously, Ireland is screwed and this government have failed me and my family.

If I see Leo's smug, arrogant Frat Boy face one more time! How many times has he proven what a sneaky snake he is.

Utter traitors!

They need to start listening to people and their genuine concerns but because all I'm getting is dismiss, dismiss, dismiss and we don't shoite on our own doorstop!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,278 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There should be a cap on the number of patients that a GP can have on their books… absolutely nothing approaching ethical that a patient should be waiting weeks to see a GP… yet here we are, putting additional pressure on them , the system and potentially compromising the health of patients by increasing workloads and demands on their time.

the ‘average’ patient number nationally per GP is around 900, that’s per GP, not per practice. In fact this is older info but my research tells me it’s analysis by the Irish Patients Association (IPA) that showed that the average number of public patients for Irish GPs nationally is around 900, might be more now. Should be more now…. So fûck…

I might see my GP once, twice tops a year…. But older people and those with multiple ailments/illness and it’s more frequent, monthly perhaps or every two months.

It’s an ageing population, it’s a rapidly expanding population….

a zero refugee policy if legally enforceable will be necessary but maybe not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

In all affluent areas. Beside every mouthpiece and advocate house for this shite too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

Or just not people who want to work?

Frustrates me immensely that all the talk is about accommodation, it should be about reducing processing time and deporting.

Average time to process, average number of appeals and staff working in the area should all be reported on metrics, instead it is a focus on one particular part of a problem

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

I'd really like to see another poll on public opinion on all this. I've felt views would only harden, both the pro and anti camps.

Normally I would see Boards as fairly social liberal but this thread seems to be 90/10 in favour of the anti refugee camp.

Personally I only know 2 people who are at all positive and they'd be of the Left. Everyone else has various levels of concern.

Yes, to back up previous posters, it is hard to understand what plans the government have, if any, on the longer term.

• Advertisement

• In March I developed progressive immobility, ended up in hospital, was told by a visiting neurologist that the scans and clinical picture suggest progressive MS, but that she couldn’t take me on as a patient. As I continue to deteriorate I cannot get one neurologist to take me on their list as there are now too many patients with neurological disorders for healthcare to cater to. So you just have to keep deteriorating. I‘m absolutely distraught and furious at how this has come to be. This country isn’t functioning any more as a state to its citizens and working immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Yes, I thought we benefitted from the skills brought by many of the Eastern European’s over 5he years. Disciplined, good work ethic, respectful, fantastic sports and music instructors. What we have now shouldn’t be called ‘ immigration’ because if you oppose it, you’re labelled racist. It should be described for what it is , a free for all benefits grab.

• The plan is for Leo & Co to have nice jobs in Brussels

• The grounds of Montrose, Dublin 4, would make a great place to camp, and RTE are very left & liberal, aren’t they?

And it’s skewed towards the younger age group. For example what was the increase in the under 30s population last year?

• Advertisement

Since they typically bring in Granny aunty 10 siblings etc, NO they don't have to prove they can support their tribe.

We just inherit another bunch of welfare recipients.

For once I agree with you that I'm glad they are putting the centre in Dl. But fir different reasons.

I know this area very well. People won't protest with placards and demos. But the area contains a lot of well connected and influential people who won't want this influx of young men hanging round with nothing to do.

I look forward to how this plays out as this could well be the straw that breaks the camels back.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

60% for that creative writing effort. Did they not get free prams and cars? 😅

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

Everything on the news is Asylum seekers today.

Last night on a show on Virgin they interviewed some people staying at the tent camp in Dublin. Lucas made an appearance,again. A Brazilian guy claiming asylum. He said he can't wait to work.

The thing is alot of these people are economic migrants using the asylum system as a way to get into the system.

No way should a Brazilian be claiming asylum. It must be cheaper to go this route than the work/visa route.

It won’t happen. It will die a quiet death.

You’re right though, they have far more ‘respectable’ ways of objecting while at the same time, looking down their noses on those who don’t have the connections and influence and have to stage protests publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

No proof then? A genuine apology would have been nice. You got it completely wrong and now you're trying to worm out of it by blaming me. First labelling and then asking me to leave the forum. Respect 😉

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,486 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

That Lucas lad - often met lads like him around - various nationalities. Common denominator - wouldn’t work in a fit, always looking for the shortcut.

I completely agree that the government and EU need a plan. Our government is woeful at making realistic plans but they need a plan and a long term policy because the problem is going to get a whole lot worse in the coming years.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Mullaghteelin

Wow!

That "free prams" trope was a running joke circa 2010.

Considering how invitations were sent out in multiple languages promising "own door accommodation", I think we have moved long past the point of joking about prams.

It is no longer controversial to suggest migrants get as much or more support than our own homeless, from a long list of charities and organisations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Dun Laoighre is not all posh well heeled residents with influence. I lived and worked there awhile and unless it's changed dramatically, there is a substantial amount of old council housing and people living on welfare etc. I hear the local politicians are all in chorus saying no problems etc. Will be interesting to see what really happens. In fairness, this area can absorb a load of new immigrants without being hugely noticeable. Unlike sticking them in a rural area with a handful of houses about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I know it well myself. It's a busy area full of all walks of life. I doubt anyone is going to give a bollocks about a few new people in the community, it'll hardly be noticed. I guess we'll see wont we.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭baldbear

What political party will gain seats from this immigration policy the government are currently running?

All I see are far right racist parties talking crap. Any sensible decent party talking common sense publicly?

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

Remarkable how attitudes have changed over the past few weeks and months.

This story from the Journal today is a stark illustration of this.

The Journal is, shall we say, quite sympathetic to the views of government, especially FG. i won't say they are a FG mouthpiece, but they certainly don't disagree with them on much. Their editorial policy is very much pro-refugee, to put it mildly. A story like the above would, if published a year ago, have elicited almost exclusively positive comments, even if the Journal staff had to "help it along" a little. Today that story has elicited almost 100% anti-government commentary, and no amount of comment deletion can change that.

The worm has turned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Lol. The comments on the Journal are always anti immigration, they think climate change is a conspiracy, cyclists are the most dangerous people on the roads, the WEF are going to force you to eat insects, 15 minute cities are a conspiracy to keep us all in zones, Eamon Ryan is the root cause of everyone's problems in Ireland, etc. etc.

It was always an utter cesspit full of absolute lunatics, and Irish Twitter is now the same, it wasn't always as bad on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Guildenstern

What has also changed with The Journal is that they are allowing comments now, for stories of this nature. They use to disbar the comments option, unless I am very much mistaken.

Independents will do very well with a few 'controversial' comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

Well the thread is calling for a zero refugee approach.

I can see an argument for a reduced limit but I think politically it would have to come with an admission of failure on housing and health and credible plans to fix. That ain't gonna happen.

As much as I dislike Meehole and The Leak in this case I don't think it's entirely about them being seen as international good guys.

I think as a country that trades the way we do, low tax, heavily depended on foreign workers and investment we have to be seen as doing our bit for the Ukrainian cause.

I absolutely agree that a lot of people haven't benefited from our economic growth. We've become a very divided country of haves and have nots and a lot of hardworking people are struggling.

I worked for a while for a fairly large foreign company that had set up in a smallish town. Company brought in a lot of skilled foreign workers, property prices and rent soared and I'd say some increase in dr waiting times etc. Very little direct benefit for that small town with most of the tax benefit going back to the exchequer.

The problem, as I see it, is what happens with the money from there. It's not going back to that town in terms of housing or services.

As I see it we have massive waste in this country. Very little to show for all the taxes flowing in from that foreign investment.

But it looks like we're tied to that model. With it comes a responsibility on refugees, Ukraine etc. If our services haven't expanded enough or weren't there in the first place it's not on them, and blaming them only takes the spotlight off the real problem ie our inept government that seems capable only of throwing wads of cash at private-market 'solutions'.

You must have only started reading it in the past few weeks.

A year ago, every anti-government comment on this story would have been deleted, unless it was some kind of crazed rant, then it would have been left as a demonstration that anyone opposed to government policy was a loon. They used this tactic very effectively during the covid debacle.

• Advertisement

Exactly. It appears they now have little choice but to leave the comments open, as they would have no comments on any story otherwise.

Advertisement