Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon Weir gets new bridge

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭what_traffic

They would struggle as generally the surface on the handful of cycle paths / lanes is on an inferior quality to the roads + they are not wide enough for tricycles. Rougher surface. Just take a walk along the Seamus Quirke Road or WDR if one wants confirmation. If it was better setup would see more skateboarders,unicycles,tricycles & scooters using them and less car traffic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Grassey

Seperated = at the higher end of council thinking is a painted line on the ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭rustyfrog

Of course they are, all pedal cycles are.

Also this is a shared space, not a pedestrian zone. I can't see how there would be any realistic separation in the current design.

I don't see many cyclists using this, with the exception of tourists on rentals.

I would say people going Outbound from the City will use it on bike; until the bus gate is installed at least.

• Advertisement

Maybe in the winter but it'll be full of tourists for half the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Paddico

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,257 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I walked by it the last day and I thought the central cementy barrier thing looked awful from he side. It blocks the view down river. Almost as ugly as Wolfe Tone Bridge.

Once the works are completed, there will only be 1 path on the main salmon weir bridge (the weir side) and you won't be able to see the central part blocking the view anyway so it'll only be noticeable for a short period of time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭serfboard

Great news. And good to read in the article about plans to develop the bridge on the old railway columns further up the river.

I passed by yesterday, and it looked as if Newtownsmyth might be open to (car) traffic again now? Can anyone confirm that?

Also, now that the new pedestrian bridge is opening, how long will it be before the Bus Gate on the Salmon Weir bridge comes into effect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,681 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Anyone taking bets how long before a car gets stuck on the bridge?

It is the "natural" route across the Corrib when exiting the Car Park with the Cathedral in the middle of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,011 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Got a good look at it from the Newtonsmith side for the first time yesterday, and my first thought was that cars 100% will drive onto it - the design practically invites it.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭TnxM17

While I have no doubt someone will attempt to cross by car the design appears to have a view hole in the middle. The design cannot be blamed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,672 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Opened today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

"Known currently as the Salmon Weir Pedestrian and cycling Bridge, an official name will be unveiled in months to come" - according to RTE News.

Can I ask, how many fecking pointless council meetings and euros spent in the coming months will be spent coming up on that new name? Why not just call it the Salmon Weir bridge?

And the cynic/realist in me says, it looks great on a sunny day like today, but 6 months from now it will look filthy.

Instead of budgetting for the naming of it, has the council budgeted for cleaning it?

TG4 report, last few seconds show how bad the location is imho, compared to desire line of travel, Town<->Uni.

• Advertisement

Once the Bus Gate is installed it will change this area though.

I know Council did the bridge on the cheap not building a vehicular bridge - but I think in the long run it may not be the worst thing they have ever done if the bus gate is properly implemented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

You're right, good cop. Of course the design can not be blamed. It's actually a really cool & clever design characteristic. The bridge creates enough shade for a downward observation point that gives the observer an unobtrusive reverse periscope perspective with no reflective glare or sunlight to view spawning salmon & other underwater activity.

Would love that to be a requisite for all bridges that cover important rivers in Ireland. Someone was thinking outside the box here, the bridge is obviously much more than a bridge, it's a feature & somewhere to pause, relax & discover.

Again, the Corrib is an amazing river, it's vibrancy, it's rush & energy really reflects the city of Galway as it floods out to the bay. Looking forward to visiting again.

Took a stroll over the new bridge yesterday. First off, no worries about anyone driving over it, bollards to beat the band, on both entrances, so its not an issue.

Its great to be able to see the original Salmon Weir Bridge, its not a view I ever took in before though I'm looking forward to seeing the eel traps (at least thats what I heard them called) removed. Removing those and giving it a bit of a wash and it will look amazing

The view downriver is nice too and you'd hardly know you were in a city with the way the trees are

I didn't take many shots of the seating area as it was pretty crowded. Its a lovely spot to sit and just chill by all accounts though

The bridge itself looks class with the Cathedral as the backdrop

All in all, a class result

Image below is from the council press release, didn't realize it would be lit up like this at night

The council are inviting submissions for public art installations. I'm guessing that means some kind of sculptures or something

Still can't see too many cycling over it though, but maybe that will change with bus connects

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

After saying earlier in this thread that I didn't expect to ever cycle over it, I ended up doing just that on Saturday. I was leaving St. Pat's school and needed to get to Mill Street, so I decided to turn left and go up by Bowling Alley, across the bridge, and back down Nun's Island. It trebled the length of that journey, so I wouldn't do it again, but it was interesting to check it out. Some observations:

1) the bridge was busy but not too full, and having some people walking and others on bikes didn't seem to create any issues. I took it very slowly and those walking seemed to take on board that there were people on bikes; they weren't actively dodging or anything like that but maybe just continuing to walk straight until a bike had gone past, and only then moving over to the parapet to admire the view, for example.

2) the benches were getting good use and there were plenty people taking selfies.

3) coming from the Newtownsmith side there was no issue getting from the road up to the bridge level without hitting a curb due to the wide raised table. On the other side there's a substantial drop from the kerb to the road for most of the length of the bollards. So, if you're going like I was, across the bridge east to west and the turning left towards Nun's Island, you either have to crash down off the kerb or head right instead and join all those on foot at the pedestrian crossing to come down there. I was able to get my bike down off the kerb without a problem but I wouldn't see my father on his electric bike doing that, for example. It seems unnecessary to funnel bikes into a tight mix with people walking at that point when there is so much space available.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ceatharloch

I just came across the bridge for the first time on my bicycle. I somehow expected there would be one "lane" for cyclists and another for pedestrians. There is no such marking. Would it not be a good idea to split the pedestrians from cyclists on the bridge? On all the main footpaths going west (Westside), cycle lanes are separate from footpaths - they are marked differently and colored differently......

(If I was being cynical - I would say the new bridge looks like a pedestrian bridge that tolerates cyclists, and the old bridge is a car bridge that tolerates cyclists.....)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

is there a project to remove the eel traps and some TLC for the SWB?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

The Eel traps are definitely up for removal, it was mentioned at some point in a council presentation as far as I can recall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭ratracer

No one wants to take ownership of them, that’s the problem.

It’s stuck in the mire between City Council, Inland Fisheries, Lough Corrib Navigation and other agencies, so I can’t see them being removed any time soon unfortunately

Crazy they weren't ripped out when there was so much equipment around the site.

• Advertisement

A separate EIS would be required. The bridge faced no environmental concerns as they weren't putting anything into the water or disturbing the flow or riverbed.

Removing the traps would have those issues

Advertisement