Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

No dear, I personally won't be paying for parking. I have a wheelchair parking permit.

But I will be doing all I can to prevent my colleagues at work from having to pay for it. You can be sure of that.

I will also sure to raise it with the Union for consideration in the next round of pay negotiations as well, for any members who do lose their access to free parking. After all, it can't be all take, take, take.

👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 8,690 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

The Majority will have to pay, and a lot of people are still going to lose their free convenient work place parking space, good luck to you, and your campaign...

Well, I think you're counting your chickens before they've hatched there. But thank you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Traffic Jams in the Park and cars parked on the grass aren't only a problem during Bloom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,026 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes they are.

Yes the Zoo can be busy but its managed, the only other time I ever saw or heard tell of serious traffic tailbacks inside the Park was a week before the OPW were forced to open the peripheral vehicle gates in summer 2020. Once they were back in play, problem solved.

Don't forget too, for Bloom they actually open temporary car parks on the meadows around Ashtown Castle, so a bit of parking on the grass for a few days never hurt anyone. Great to see the Park busy and being enjoyed.

1. This policy, it is said, will only be I introduced where there is good public transport. In the case of Dublin City Centre, where a lot of this parking is, of course there is excellent public transport, it's where it all converges, after all. The point is that many workers live out in the boondocks precisely because of other Government policies, so it's a bogus argument.

2. It is neither feasible nor practical nor even constitutional perhaps, to try and enforce this on private premises. So if it becomes a policy unique to public sector settings, then the Union will simply not comply with it. And there are already recruitment problems enough in the civil and public services so nobody will rock the boat further on that one.

3. City folk are not going to pay a tax that rural people can just avoid. Theres too much of that already. And that makes it a big headache come election time, which will be in May 2024 and Feb 2025.

So, for these and other reasons, this policy isn't going to happen. Not to mention it failed to get any traction previously. You know what trying the same thing and expecting a different result is don't you?

Going back to the 1990s there been traffic problems in the park.

There was parking issues all over the park for years.

2011 OPW Report - To manage the levels of traffic within The Phoenix Park and reduce through traffic.... Existing car-parking facilities are compromised by increased commuter parking in the eastern portion of the Park in the vicinity of Dublin Zoo

Notwithstanding recent traffic management measures, the Park continues to be used as a primary means of access to the city from the west and the large volumes of traffic (10 million car journeys per year) significantly diminish the character of the Park as a historic landscape and reduce the enjoyment of other Park users.

This issue arises from shortcomings in the strategic transportation network for Dublin and is emphasised in the 2006 Phoenix Park Transportation Study in which three areas of concern were highlighted: General traffic levels which are such as to cause extreme pressure in various areas of the Park. The need for a comprehensive parking policy, which would restrict commuter parking, and provide for visitor needs. The need to increase public transport access to the Park.

They tried a shuttle bus around the park but it couldn't get anywhere in the traffic congestion at the time. It was joke, except off peak.

Your concept of good public transport and theirs's are very different. They can point to the stats of PT use exceeding car use.

Private premises are already turning to paid parking, Liffey Valley is a case in point. Staff there complained about it.

You mean like the property tax and its disproportionate impact on city/Dublin residents.

Your concept of good public transport and theirs's are very different.

Yes, clearly it is.

Because apparently some consider public transport that involves multiple changes en-route, while it meanders half way around the city and takes five times as long to reach a destination, as "good public transport".

Who cares if an employee spends an additional 2 or more hours of their own time every day, getting to and from work, once they're not driving to work? After all, their commute is not done on the employer's time.

This is the message they're putting out. Your time doesn't matter, and your work/life balance is unimportant to us, as long as we are seen to be ticking boxes.

Well, they can expect push back on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Google ‘worst public transport in Europe’ and see what comes up…..Dublin does, pages of just Dublin, lots ! The entire first page on google.

DUBLIN…

ineffective

inefficient

disconnected

unreliable

uncomfortable

poor ticketing infrastructure

slow

not value for money

unsafe (LUAS)

And… more besides…….but our political overlords, and O’Gorman who despite TFI and regulation and whatever BS are demanding the above is how we make our journeys… an outright and outrageous nonsense….

New York, Madrid, Paris, London, Copenhagen, Lisbon… I’d never bother owning a car if I lived in any of those places, would be a folly…id save a fortune and travel safely, in relative comfort, in well connected efficiency, on clean buses, metro trains, trams, funiculars, inter city trains etc……on time, modern, frequent and effective…

then… Dublin 🙄 but… get the fûck out of your cars and think of the environment. 🤷‍♂️🙄

Google worst traffic in Europe. Dublin ranks as 2nd worst for traffic in Europe.

Obviously not bad enough since ye want to make worse and get the top spot.

Not surprising, given the slow, dirty and inconvenient public transport options.

They really need to sort that out.

They are ..... by getting rid of the cars holding everything up.

But, but.... according to you cars are a teeny tiny percentage of commuters into the city centre?

So what is the real excuse for **** public transport? Because its not free parking for civil and public servants.

(Most of which whom will be exempt from this "plan" anyway !!)

“... this small number of vehicles causes significant delays to public transport journey times in the area..."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

So what is the real excuse for **** public transport?

Decades of governmental failure to invest in PT and instead pumping billions into encouraging a culture of car dependence.

Like it or not, we are now at a point where we must improve PT but it is not something that can change overnight, obviously.

Despite that, we still urgently do need to change the mindset that we can jump in the car for any and all journeys. We're at the point where our cities are badly congested but more importantly climate change is a reality right now (not something that could happen) - the expectation is that much of southern Europe will suffer bad droughts this summer. I'm not trying to sound like Eamon Ryan but we've done sweet FA here in this country and have a long, long way to go. If you think a few of us having to pay for feckin parking spots is a big issue, you ain't seen nothing yet!

Dublin city centre is a whole lot bigger than just College Green. Traffic doesn't start at the Central Bank and end at O'Connell Bridge.

Yes, closing College Green, great plan. I thought the reason for this was to increase space for the meandering buses. So, there is no space for private cars, but yet there is plenty of room for new built out "seating areas" which will soon become populated by scrotes shooting up during the day, and homeless at night.

Great plan lads. Welcome to the next Liffey / College Green Boardwalk.

Some have suggested the city center extends to Wicklow and Kildare. Which seems like call to create congestion tolls and increase parking fees out that far aswell.

I do mean the property tax, but I've no doubt the good burghers of Cork Galway and Limerick also feel irked.

The Liffey Valley situation was not voluntary on the part of the management.

When they applied to undertake a major extension to the southern end of the main building, the Council conditioned the paid parking and the bus hub or else no dice. And speaking to a store manager there in the last few weeks, I understand that the effect on trade of introducing paid parking in the middle of a cost of living crisis has been devastating, as well as on recruitment and retention, in this time of plentiful employment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

That’s not the approach to a motorway but irrespective it’s parking on a road with a solid white line with only a single carriageway in each direction so a different offence. Still no justification; speed is irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I’d agree with you but I suspect it’s differ from place to place. Liffey Valley was required to charge for parking as part of a planning application. Can’t imagine it will “nudge” many out of their cars unless they are very local. It will probably cut down on people parking there for all day though.

You'd have to assume it's commuters parking there all day, and unlikely to be people living near the center doing that.

Retail is down everywhere with the cost of living crisis....

Are there any links to paid parking being a requirement of the planning permission. The articles I read said the opposite.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

may be of interest to some here - mainly about how LA got it so apocalyptically wrong about provision of parking:

https://99percentinvisible.org/episode/paved-paradise/

And yet they need to reclaim road space so badly here, that they are taking it away to putting seating areas and planters on it. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

Now you're into the argument of the ground floor apartment dweller not wanting to pay for the maintenance of the building's lift. In my workplace, cyclists are some of the latest to start in the morning as they have to shower, change clothes and increasingly head for breakfast before they starts the days work. There's also a gym in the building and it's amazing how many of these environmentally friendly chaps have to head off for a quick endorphin release during the working day. Sure why not doesn't it save on the expensive gym membership.

As for car drivers, it's becoming unseemingly to watch the more environmentally minded EV owners fight over the limited free car chargers provided by the employer.

Some nice little benefits provided to the more environmentally conscious employees out there.

But of course all that matters is to screw, once again, the ordinary worker who just wants to park the car and do a day's work.

In my workplace, cyclists are some of the latest to start in the morning as they have to shower, change clothes and increasingly head for breakfast before they starts the days work.

well, that's a new wrinkle! first time i've ever heard the 'cyclists start work later' argument, ever.

• Advertisement

Sounds better then storing 2 tons in pollution in that space.

Advertisement