Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

10kWh LifePO4 DIY Battery Addition..... Here is my write up.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

• Registered Users Posts: 6,122 ✭✭✭championc

Most / All motor factors will have it. It's used on brake pads to stop them squeeling

• Registered Users Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi Folks,

What are people using as the settings for their Neey?

I've 16s1p soon to be 16s2p

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Okay, thanks for that, I'll get some of the copper paste tomorrow. I had already cleaned the bus bars and the copper terminals on the batteries with 2000 grit wet and dry paper (also available in motor factors). I had read somewhere to do that, maybe in the CALB documentation itself. It does a nice job of polishing them clean too, it's a very fine grit.

One of the battery terminals has copper in it and the other is just aluminium and I thought I had read to only clean the copper one, so that's the only one I cleaned.

I might try measuring the voltage of the cells from the pins on the white and black connectors too, to see if it matches what the Seplos is reporting )(i.e. lower voltage on cell 1). I'm guessing the problem might be with the wire from the seplos to the +ve terminal of cell 1 since that's the common wire for sensing the voltage of cell 1 and cell 2, so if it was dodgy, it could cause problems reported on both of those cells?

I might try swapping the cell pair for cell 1 with the cell pair for cell 16 and see if the problems move with the cell or stay with the sense wire..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Dropping to 0, is a loose/bad connection somewhere, no matter how bad a cell is it doesn't just go to 0.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

I tried moving the cells around, swapping the wiring looms from one set to another and always showed the low voltage on cell 1 and 2. Funnily enough I had also cleaned the terminals beforehand with very fine grit wet and dry paper. They looked great but it was like it put a film on them like a varnish

What are people’s thoughts on the seplos BMS & neey vs the JK BMS with combined active balancer ?

The Jk needs something to take it's data and translate it to can for the inverters.

The neey is very good though, can balance a pack quite quickly, but the 2amps on the jk will be plenty

• Registered Users Posts: 65,320 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That's if you want the BMS to control your inverter. I find no matter what cheap BMS you use, they all get the SOC wrong. And that means it will give your inverter wrong instructions.

Imho it is better to just let the inverter do its thing based on voltages and then have the BMS work independently and do its sole job: protect the battery cells.

• Advertisement

Does anyone have a wiring diagram )m(or can point me in the direction of one) for the battery to the inverter, isolator, fuses cable size, etc. trying to get my head around all that’s needed

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭oaklands

A good hybrid inverter will/should have all that in the install manual.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

I got come copper grease and went up today with a plan to disassemble, clean every connection and apply the grease and retighten everything to to recommended torque, but before doing that I decided to measure the voltage of various cells using a multimeter, and I see that there's quite a difference in voltage between different cells. Some are up at 3.6v, many at 3.58ish but a few at 3.33V. Turned on the Seplos too to see what it was reading, and it concurred within .02V of the multimeter readings.

Seems a big spread for cells that were connected in parallel and top balanced to 3.65 only a few days ago.

I suppose I should go ahead with the original plan or should I top balance again, disconnect all 32 cells and see if any drop off voltage quicker than others?

Purchased the JK BMS today from the hankzor store, just a heads up I messaged them and asked if they had any discounts or offers before I purchased and they sent me a discount code that knocked about €7 off the final price. This often works with Ali sellers when buying higher priced items.

Nice one. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. I had some on account credit with AliExpress and it was closing in on expiring, so I bought a 4S-8S JK BMS with it. About €80 and it is only 100A continuous and only 1A active balancing, but very handy to have as it can do both 12V and 24V setups. And it still has bluetooth and the very decent app. I connected it to my 4 spare CALB 200Ah cells about a week ago and set the balancing starting voltage to low and it has done a remarkable job on balancing the cells since then - they were in completely different states of charge when I hooked them up in 4S

I highly recommend Hankzor store as I had a couple of questions and issues over time and they came back to me quickly with answers. They know their stuff.

Still very happy with my main 200A 16S JK BMS too, it is doing a good job of protecting my big battery setup. But as with any BMS this side of $2k, I wouldn't trust what it reckons is the state of charge. That's above its paygrade really...

Even the expensive BMS it's still only an educated guess, especially with LFP

If you can get a reliable 100%, then it counts the power in and out of the battery.

With the zevabms I have it used to "drift" too until I changed to code to account for it.

Done it so it under counts the charge,

It now will be hitting 97-98% and gets close to voltage limits after a full cycle.

It then auto resets to 100 when pack voltage is above 57v and the charge current is less than 1 amp I think.

Anyone know what gauge wire the leads from the Jk BMS to the battery terminals are ?

Also are the bus bars supplied with the Nkon cells tinned copper or brass ?

Just double checked for you and both wires on both ends of the JK BMS 200A continuous are marked as 7AWG. Which is a bit thinner than 16mm2. The latter is good for 100A continuous, so this solution from JK is a bit on the flimsy side for my liking. I'm sure it will have no issues doing the 200A, but I would have preferred to see one fat 70mm2 coming out on each side, or at least 50mm2

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

So, not unexpectedly the dispute did not go my way. I have no 'Professional' test equipment. That was the last excuse in a long list of arguments. The dispute process is challenging. You only get 500 characters and can only reply to their reply. I messed up one shot by saying I didn't want to change my offer so the tool just resubmitted my original text. I didn't get to add any further information. Their answers were disingenuous. I have ordered new cells from NKON and I will now sell the 3 good and 1 bad cell. The good I believe are 180Ah+ and the bad around 120Ah. They'll be on Adverts in a day or so if anybody needs one or two to bring their pack up to scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭BuzzFish

I'll keep an eye out as I gave my dad my duds for his motorhome and he's delighted (even though 120ah capacity only. In a 4s1p or 4s2p/2p4s these are great options for motorhome owners who live the extra capacity and lower weight of lifepo4 over lead acid.

• Advertisement

If the BMS is only 16mm2 is there any point wiring the battery to the BMS and from the BMS to the inverter in 75mm2 welding cable or will 35mm2 or even 16mm2 cable suffice, as the BMS will be the bottle neck.

75mm2 is way over kill,

Id be using 25 or 35.

The 16mm2 on the bms won't bottle neck anything, but power rating of cables arent just the size, it's the Temperature rating of the insulation, is likely high temperature.

i can get 35mm2 welding cable for €9.20/m does that seem reasonable ?

And to give people an idea of that, I used to have an inverter that could charge the battery at 100A for hours on end. And I used just 16mm2 cable (which is fine for that). The cable went warm, but not hot. Maybe 40-50C or so

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭soram

Yeah they are great even with 120Ah but I only have a compressor fridge and that consumes 20-30Ah a day :( The solar panel is covered a lot these days with kayaks so not much help! So a long weekend without movement is problematic especially in Winter. That and the fact I can now run a toaster and want to be able to charge 2 ebikes at least once makes 120Ah too small for me. The build experience was good to do and I feel more confident now and will probably make a 16s1 later in the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 mrohare

Hi Spose, I have just set up my ME3000SP, seplos 16s and Cells and I am having the exact same alarms as you - also with cells 1 and 2 dropping down on occassion to 0.0v and 0.2v. Did you ever get a resolution to your problems?

Thanks

For anyone thinking of selling their CALBs and going EVE cells, I'm in the market for buying 5-6 more CALB 200Ah cells (or more). Preferably capacity tested with at least 140Ah, but anything considered, PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭spose

Yes running fine now. Cleaned every battery terminal with a wire brush type drill bit, cleaned end of every bus bar with it too. Reassembled and put copper conductive grease on each battery terminal.

16). Catl 302ah batteries from NKon for €2322 delivered.

currently out of stock but due back in a week. I’m thinking of ordering these. How does the price compare to others available. Any issues with this type of cell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Mr Q

I have had a recent quote from Docan Power for $1887 DDP for similar but a different brand of cell.

Less than 1800 euro with all fees, delivery etc.

But they would come from China so could take a while.

Advertisement