Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recent upgrade to telecom pole but what is it?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭grimeire

I would think the same. One row of tress is public and the other belongs to my neighbor.

Problem i see here is trees are at least 20 ft+ above top of fiber pole and I dont see them cutting that much off the trees as it will kill them. Plus i dont think my neighbor will allow me to cut that off his trees and i dont blame him. He told me i can trim them down no problem.

Anyway Ill find out more next week when they come to fit. That a problem i will need to face when it come to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Wait what? Isn't fibre meant to be un-contended? Sharing 10gbps up and down with 63 other premises? Where's this all coming from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 279 ✭✭NBAiii

None of the networks are un-contended. When you hear of the split ratio mentioned above, that is what it means. The urban Openeir IFN network has a 1:64 split ratio so one bi-directional 10Gb/s OLT port is split among 64 premises. NBI use a 1:32 split so 10Gb/s among up to 32, the older Openeir rural network is also 1:32 but it is GPON so it is 2.48/1.24Gb/s split among 32, which is why they can't sell the 2Gb/s product on that network.

In reality it is probably unlikely that there are actually 64 premises connected as that would require 100% take up of FTTH products in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 William_Flynn

The un-contended is in their marketing, however if you look at the technical documentation on openeir's website it is clear that it is split 1:32 or 1:64 depending on if it was the original rural install or the newer urban installations.

Totally misleading advertising.

Wouldn't the SLA mandate a specific upstream port speed configuration? If the split ratio is 1:32 and the SLA specifies 500mbps min. then surely the port would be configured to 32x500mbps (assuming all 32 DP ports are used)

So in the case, the exchange ports would be configured to 16gbps to guarantee all customers (regardless of package) the 500mbps at all times.

From my experience in networking the chances of everyone utilizing the 500Mb they have concurrently is slim to none.

I deal with switches and IDSs alot and number 1 query i am asked is your IDS only does 5GPs or whatever and our switches are 10Gps so it wont cover us but in practice those switches rarely ever hit the maximum bandwidth with 50+ users/servers connected so it would be the same here.

The exchange port is an XGS-PON port. Its limit is 10Gb/s, there is no possibility of increasing its capacity. To have an uncontended 500Mb/s you either lower the split ratio, which involves major re-cabling works, or you move to 25G PON where 25Gb/s is shared over the given split ratio. Both options have costs involved.

I would not get hung up on this, the wholesale networks in partnership with their technology partners, Huawei and Nokia, are obviously happy that the networks will work as designed.

Yeah, sorry for pedantic. More curious than anything else. Appreciate the info!

I didn't think you were being pedantic! It is interesting to hear the eir gigabit advert talk about "no more sharing with the neighbours".

• Advertisement

You were bang on here. they came to install today and wouldnt due to the trees. I ran the old copper cable into the house with ducting the other day hoping that he would just connect to the end of that and pull it through but the guy didnt want to touch it and said he is not allowed to run it when trees are in the way. I have a feeling no matter the case this guy would not do anything. He said it was his last job of the day and sounded like he scoped the place ouut before calling as he seemed to know the house well when he rang before visiting.

Only options i have from what the guy said is

1. ducting from my house to pole which goes through 2 boundary walls one being mine and through my neighbors driveway.
    2. cut down tress. One row of trees is public and other is neighbors. Guy said both would have to be cut down to run cable which is not going to happen since 1 row of trees give me privacy from my neighbor and the other row give neighbor privacy from people walking on the path.

Also guys said that 12 homes can be connected to each Fiber Distribution point.

Thanks for the help all at least i can say I tired everything.

Post edited by grimeire on

Advertisement