Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

I think, for Starmer, it is a case of trying to make rabbit stew - 'first catch your rabbit'. He needs to get elected and needs to get every Labour vote, including the red wall, the blue wall, the London vote, etc.

When he is PM, he can get things done that are a Labour priority, and do things to get re-elected.

Then just do things that Labour need doing. Events will drive priorities, and give cover where it is required. Covid gave cover for Brexit failings, and Ukraine gave more cover. Now there is a new King, and maybe a few rubber dinghies washing up in Kent.

A week is a long time in politics.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

There's an odd parallel here with the US 2020 election: a notably terrible, divisive adminstration that many agree should be ousted; but the opposition - and those aligning with them - finds itself torn by the Great White Hope being ... ideologically suspect & imperfect. Biden was far, far from many people's preferred prospective leader but it was a case of Anyone but Trump. Same here where Starmer and this Labour are weak gruel for many even vaguely left of centre ... .. but at this stage it's a case of Anyone But the Tories.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 26,069 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So hoping to not scare off the floating voter by saying what he's really going to do? 😁 meanwhile theatrically winking at the Labour voters "it's OK lads, I just need to say this stuff to get elected"...

When the current government is so dishonest, so intellectually bereft, so venal, so corrupt, you'd think occupying the high moral ground would be easy. But maybe honesty and competence aren't what the UK electorate want any more.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's better to have 100,000 conservative leaning older voters who will vote for you than a million younger people who won't bother casting their ballots at all. It's a bit of a cynical way to look at things but we are where we are. Promising the world didn't work in 2019 so we're onto the current offering of small changes.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Yes, the last 15 seconds or so were the highlight. The BBC presenter's face got really angry, her eyes bugged out some and she said, "I'm not going to take that from you" when Campbell (correctly) pointed out how the BBC doesn't challenge the guff being spewed by Philips. When Campbell pointed out the Brexit Bus lie, Philips response was, "That wasn't my campaign."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,730 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In fairness to Philips, it wasn't her campaign. It was the Vote Leave campaign whereas Farage & UKIP were affiliated with the unofficial Leave.EU campaign.

Campbell has unfortunately apologised for his conduct to Victoria Derbyshire.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,633 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

And therein lies the very core issue with Brexit. Philips claims Brexit isn't delivered, but then says that part of the campaign had nothing to do with her. Fine, but then clearly you didn't get a majority. Which is it?

I think Campbell is the wrong person for this, far too much baggage, but tbf nobody else seems willing to take on the nonsense and lies so it left down to people like him.

That's not entirely fair.

A huge problem for younger voters is they gravitate to the cities where their vote is useless because they are Labour voters in 20k+ Labour majorities.

2017 might have worked if people like yourself didn't peddle Daily Mail lies about anti semites and the "woke liberal Islington set"

Labour engaged in exactly the kind of lies and sabotage you were crying about up thread.

*Edited as I meant to say 17 not 19.

Post edited by breezy1985 on

It's a bit rich for you to be going on about fair and then spouting the usual Corbynista toxicity whenever his legacy is questioned in less than an adoring light.

2019 might have worked if people actually voted and he didn't turn the party into a racist cesspit.

• Advertisement

Its not fair on young people which is an entirely different argument to the Corbyn one and based on a whole other set of issues.

But believe the Daily Mail all you want about the anti-semitism and racism. No wonder you are a royalist with the shte you swallow.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,507 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

You say all this but here we are and this Tory government retains power. Promising sobriety and vanilla brand politics might frustrate those seeking major change but the reality is FPTP relies on a huge cohort of voters allergic to those major swings.

I don't believe Labour have a secret portfolio, but showing a steady pair of hands to right the heading of a country on a slippery slope isn't a bad thing. As the saying goes, perfection is not the enemy of good.

Post edited by pixelburp on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,698 ✭✭✭Enzokk

It amazes me that there are some on the left that would seemingly be happier to have Starmer lose to prove that Corbyn wasn't the problem than get rid of the Tories. I don't have a dog in the UK political fight other than Labour/coalition would have better relations with the EU but this would not be their priority. But you cannot help but look at the direction of the country and not despair where it has gone the last 13 years. If Labour does get into power they are going to have to undo a lot of damage to the public services with very little money in the bank.

The position that Labour has taken on some issues has not filled me with confidence, but I am also aware that to give Sunak a free hit for the next possible 17 months or so will not improve their chances (think being hammered on repealing the small boats or allowing protestors to disrupt people's lives which will be bait for the right-wing press). A lot of previous Labour elections fell apart because they promised the world to everyone and people just didn't feel like this was realistic. Now that they are more realistic, well that is not good enough.

My hope is though that while they have not been a runaway success in the local elections, the voter suppression and tactical voting will have played a part in the lower than hoped result for Labour. I don't think people are going to change their minds when the GE happens, in a lot of places it will be anyone but the Tories so it may not be reflective of the true picture. The negatives for Sunak will not go away, he is not getting poorer and Johnson will hopefully hang like a rock around his neck until the next election. Then again that could just be fantasy from my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The EU just approved this and if the US do as well I'd imagine the deal will go through leaving the UK looking absolutely irrelevant and toothless on the world stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

Has the US regulator not taken a position of opposition to this deal?

I am not sure if it is not the EU that is the one that is looking toothless in relation to Microsoft. I don't know enough about the deal.

But having a large corporation, like Microsoft, monopolise any market doesn't seem lie a good idea.

Not a great look, is it? Either cave and approve so they look weak or stand their ground and look petty.

The other publishers are largely in favour of it. The EU is pretty strict when it comes to competition rules so it must have good reasons to allow this.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Well the CMA had previously signaled approval and their denial and reasoning were a surprise to everyone, the EU were expected to deny from what I'd read so the FTC could go any way as all predictions until now have been wrong. The main problem the CMA has is their reasoning over cloud gaming has been widly panned as being outside the potential reality of that market. They basically are predicting with no real basis at on what will happen in that market and basing their decision on that.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Hmm, I thought it was supposed be the German car manufacturers lobbying the EU...

Vauxhall's parent company has called for the government to renegotiate its Brexit deal with the EU to correct elements that place the future of UK plants at risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Well, Vauxhall is basically a German car manufacturer, in that it's a UK manufacturing satellite for cars designed and engineered by Opel in Germany. Vauxhall makes Opel cars, badged for sale in the UK market as "Vauxhall". (Both companies are ultimately subsidiaries of Amsterdam-based multinational Stellantis.)

So the Brexiters got it half-right. What they failed to spot was that German car manufacturers would be lobbying not Brussels but London, since (a) it's London's positioning that is causing them problems, and (b) as the smaller party, and the one whose motor industry is more threatened by Brexit, London should be much more receptive to lobbying than Brussels.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Stellantis is not German. It is French (Peugeot-Citroen), Italian (Fiat) and American (Chrysler). Opel is a small add-on.

Quote: Stellantis N.V. is a multinational automotive manufacturing corporation formed in 2021 on the basis of a 50–50 cross-border merger between the Italian-American conglomerate Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and the French PSA Group.

• Advertisement

No one said it was German.

Opel is the German car maker that Vauxhall is a rebadge of. It's not the same as 2 companies under the 1 umbrella they are literally the same car.

@breezy1985 Quote : No one said it was German

Well, Peregrinus said exactly that. Opel was taken over by PSA, and PSA then amalgamated with Fiat Chrysler. Opel and Vauxhall were badges of General Motors since the 1920s, and were closely integrated with GM - moreso than Ford (Europe) were with Ford USA.

But following the collapse of GM, they were floated off.

You left out the bit where they did clarify "Both companies are ultimately subsidiaries of Amsterdam-based multinational Stellantis"

Amsterdam is not in Germany. Yes both companies are part of a bigger group the same way almost everyone else is these days.

But Opel are still German in the same way Guinness are still Irish whereas Vauxhall stopped being a real entity long ago.

Guinness is a British company, part of Diageo. It was British prior to its link with Diageo.

In Brexit news, it looks like we really did need those immigrants to come over and pick fruit because the government have announced the creation of 45,000 seasonal worker visas.

I've no idea why someone would want to come here to pick fruit on a short term visa. Australia, sure with the weather but 2023 UK? I'd rather be pulling pints in an Irish bar in Paris or Frankfurt.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've no idea why someone would want to come here to pick fruit on a short term visa. Australia, sure with the weather but 2023 UK? I'd rather be pulling pints in an Irish bar in Paris or Frankfurt.

Well, we'll see how many of the 45k visas will be succesfully applied for. Will it be a case of "if you build it, they will come"? Like you, I have my doubts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I'm almost certain the number of applications for seasonal workers visas in the last few years has never reached the number of visas available. Can't find any hard data to confirm that right now, but I seem to recall a discussion around the hoops one had to jump through (not to mention the cost) for just a few months work and no particular advantages making it an unattractive proposition for any but the most desperate thirdworldians.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek, I admit, but within the Stellantis group Vauxhall sits below Opel, in that it is a UK-located satellite manufacturing for its local market cars which are designed, engineered and mainly manufactured by Opel in Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,902 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Designed and engineered in Germany seems pretty unlikely going forward given they're all already on PSA platforms or transitioning to them.

But some people still probably think Vauxhalls are British, sure some are assembled in the UK but most are not.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭rock22

The UK Independent are carrying a video of Sunak in Japan saying he is in discussions with the EU about these tariffs, suggesting that it is also a problem for the EU.

It is hard to see how it would be an EU problem but we will see.

Advertisement