Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

As in they don't use it at all? Or they don't use it in a public way? I don't know many people who don't have a facebook or an Instagram, like some sort of social media, and I think I'd be suss if they didn't, although that's kind of sad to say isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,853 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I suppose in a public way. I have a Facebook account myself but I never post, just look in once every few months as sometimes people send me messages. Should delete it really. I wouldn’t find it odd if somebody didn’t at all, because plenty with Facebook accounts in the past have deleted and I will soon follow suit.

Ah ok. I use it for work but my personal accounts are locked down, I think my friends/circle would be a 50/50 split of public and private accounts.

Wasn’t even thinking of the privacy settings. It was more that if somebody is posting a lot on social media (regardless of whether it’s for those they are connected with or any member of the public to see, I’m not usually going to be compatible with them in mindset. Each to their own though 😊

Ah ok. A lot of people have accounts who don't post often, I think they're usually the private accounts so I tend to group them together!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Yeah he doesn’t come across as bitter to me. Maybe it was a joke

Post edited by Jequ0n on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

have to say you sound awful , they seem like lucky folk

got a 3rd message etc how about respond and not stuck up , manners cost nothing

checking in with a girl he used to date to find out about him really ?? cringe

Bad penny

but in all seriousness the attitude is maybe why you are alone , waiting on a unicorn that don't exist

i've met ladies who i generally wouldnt have been attracted to by their pics , but when i met them they looked alot better and some worse but you can't go by a pic , before internet dating people would give you a chance , now its a look at a pic and no or yes etc

You need to take a chill pill mister.

I am single because I know what I like, I like my own company and I’m not on a mission to be in a relationship. If I find someone I’m into enough to pursue one, that’s great. If I don’t, that’s fine too. I have no need to settle for someone I’m not into and why would I? I also made it clear that I don’t go by photos alone and never have.

Someone was talking about bitterness earlier, have a think about that.

• Advertisement

don't suppose you own any cats ? that would make sense

bitter 😁😁 at what somebody on the internet says ?

Ah I’m sorry but you’re just not worth responding to anymore, much as I’m sure the attention is making your day. 🙂

This is valid. If you were here going oh I hate being single I just want to be in a relationship then yeah we would tell you to just settle for anything. But you are happy with yourself and not so desperate for a relationship you will go with the first guy who shows interest. Too many people settle and end up bitter and unhappy for the rest of their lives because they resent the other partner for not being all that they want.

Yes there are people who have ridiculous expectations and that can’t be denied but it is their choice and they will suffer if it’s the wrong choice - but everybody who is single and turning people down can’t be tarred with the one brush, many of us just know what we want. Men who are single and getting rejected always fall to this accusation that women are too fussy.

I'm mid 30s. No, I didn't block him, it didn't cross my mind tbh as he didn't say anything abusive. I'm just not interested.

The forest thing entailed meeting him halfways between our places and him picking me up to drive there, so I just wasn't on board with that. But he did agree to an alternative. But yeah, aside from that after talking to the ex and my own feeling on it, it would have been a bad idea for me to meet him.

The guy who noted my pics was actually very nice, just unfortunately way too far off my radar in terms of what I'm attracted to. But it was a nice message so I responded in the same fashion. 🙂

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

This is exactly it, thank you.

I have no notions of myself and I don't have some big checklist for guys or unrealistic expectations. If you looked at my exes a lot of them are very different in many ways. I simply know when I'm going to be into someone or when there's a chance an attraction will develop there in person. This is a combination of their photos, what they say on their profile, and how the convo goes. I don't go on dates unless I believe that attraction will be there because I don't like going on dates just for the sake of it. There's nothing at all wrong with that but I'm just not interested in doing it. I've been on and off sites for years in between relationships and I haven't got it wrong very often with this strategy of deciding whether to meet someone as it usually turns into something, whether it's dating for a few months or a relationship.

It’s deffo a combination of pictures and what they say - I wouldn’t have swiped on the Belgian guy I’m seeing based on his pics alone - it was what he had written in his profile that I loved, and it was a great conversation starter too. I never usually message first but I was compelled to in this case. I won’t say what it was but it was food related.

Yet some men keep complaining the wording doesn’t matter and it’s pics only when it so does!

edit

Post edited by PoisonIvyBelle on

Absolutely! I find men have this idea that women are swiping based on photos only and that's not the case at all. I could come across someone completely my type looks-wise but if they hadn't bothered to fill in a profile or wrote something that didn't click with me then I wouldn't match. However, unless the guy is a total no-go for me in terms of physical attraction I will always look at what he's written on his profile.

There are a number of things that make a man attractive to me and it's not all to do with how they look. It's having a passion about something, sharing my sense of humor, having a good attitude, knowing what they want.. a culmination of traits. If someone asked me my "type" in only physical traits the only thing that would stand out to me is dark hair, around my height or taller, and not super slim - but that doesn't mean they have to be jacked (at all!!) dad bods etc. are all totally fine with me. With that said, I have dated guys who don't fit into that box because I'm attracted to them anyway for other characteristics, mannerisms, or aspects of their personality, so if that comes across in what they write online then I absolutely do not dismiss those guys based on a physical preference.

The wording is so important though. There are lots of good looking guys online and I get a lot of matches, but men reading this have to understand that it's really tough for women to figure out which are genuine. Many guys just swipe on everyone for an ego boost, and a lot of them will also instantly send you a sexual message right off the bat. Fortunately, that doesn't happen as much to me as I see it happen with friends because I'm selective with who I swipe on and I'll only swipe if I checked their profile and they seem like someone I'd be interested in and I don't see red flags. But it does happen now and then. That said, it doesn't make me bitter or cynical. There are as many sound and genuine guys on the apps too! Same goes for women.

I came across a lovely-looking fella just now for example and checked his profile, but it leads with "NO DRAMA" which screams baggage to me and is. a massive red flag. I understand that guys who had been through the mill might put that up, but lads - please don't, it comes across really badly and is a massive turn-off. I'd say you're actually going to attract drama with it rather than the opposite.

• Advertisement

How is all going with him BTW?! I asked a few pages ago but you didn't reply. Give us the goss :) Sounded like it started off very well!

Agree. And would re emphasise the no drama comment, I don’t care what else is written on the profile or what the pictures are like if I see that it’s a left. I mean, I don’t want any drama either but I am not going to assume each guy is bringing drama and I have to say it to him I don’t want it, it’s a little insulting even.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭raclle

Are women putting too much emphasis on bios? A synopsis of the person mightn't be a true reflection of who they really are. If there's attraction and no bio then what harm? You won't really get to know them until you're chatting anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,346 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

…Makes a note to be potentially more specific on cooking skills in my next profile..

I miss a lot and have to read back and often I miss things then.

It’s all good so far. I’m a take it day by day / date by date type of person. But I can say that so far I am really enjoying his company and I have zero doubt that he is enjoying mine equally. So hard to find this mutual thing so I’m interested to see how it goes. There is zero drama, zero me sitting there wondering if he is dating others or has gone off me. First time I’ve met somebody who wants a relationship with me that I’m attracted to. I’ve either had guys I fancy but they are players really or guys who want to have a relationship with me but even though they are nice and have everything else I am looking for - intelligence, etc, I just don’t have that urge to jump their bones. With this guy it’s all that.

No, I don't think so. I don't know if I'm interested in someone just based on a photo, that's why I need some info in the bio. A bio will also let me know what they're looking for, or at least what they pertain to be looking for. If I can start up a convo with someone who has a bio I connect with or someone who doesn't, why would I swipe on someone who doesn't?

Do you think there's a reason men don't want to write something about themselves and what they're looking for?

Has to be poetic too. So it wasn’t just the food it was a very romantic interpretation (not sexual)

I might just be :) It’s harder to find as you get older because less availability but clearly some still out there, positive attitude all the way!

• Advertisement

Exactly. Attraction is much more than looks. I get that men are more visual though so perhaps it’s tricker for men to understand.

Advertisement