Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - Snymans are(n't) Forever

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

The outhalf kind of has to be one of the leadership group.

He makes so many on the field decisions that if he isn't a leader off the field it just won't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭kuang1

100% correct.

And now think of Keatley and Carbery with that in mind...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This would have been after the narrow loss at home to Ulster in round 7 of the URC.

So was I right or what? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭mun1

RTI is ex Shannon direct 15 hrs inc 1 refuel stop , killester is ex Dublin 20 hr flight in one change . Work in 4 hrs to/from Dublin

and thats a difference of 9 hours in travelling/waiting time , worth the extra €550 IMO. I’ve gone with the RTI trip for that reason. I wonder is it the team charter as well ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If the RTI trip didn't get enough numbers by COB today then they'll be putting you on a commercial flight out of (probably) Dublin.

This flight is based on securing minimum numbers by close of business, Tuesday 16th May. Please note that a) if minimum numbers are not achieved or b) if the flight sells out, then c) we guarantee that you will still be provided with a scheduled flight to Cape Town most likely ex Dublin. In other words, by making a booking we are guaranteeing you of your full package with no price increase.

I wouldn't be counting your chickens just yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭theboss80

You can get flights return Fri-Mon from Dublin for €750 (stops in Amsterdam, there is no direct flights anyway), a 4 star hotel in Cape Town for €150 and we have seen cheap tickets. Add transfer/taxi and that's €900 per head. Remember the South African economy is under big pressure at the moment and is reflected in price of living there. So you are all in there for say €1000 bar food/drink. I think its pulling the piss at the price they are looking for knowing well how well Munster travel.

Aye the main cost by a mile is the flight.

Average price of a pint in cape town is under eur2.

The hilton near the stadium is around eur50 a night.

I looked for the most expensive restaurant I could find and it had a 7 or 8 course tasting menu for eur50.

Once you're there, everything is a quarter to a third of the price.

But getting there will cost you the best part of a grand.

No jetlag makes a huge difference too.

Waiting for this week's PSOM like...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Barry Murphy on Second Captains is great in the meantime.

B*stard, I was this close to getting some work done...

• Advertisement

Jesus, I'm barely a minute in and I remember now why I haven't listened to this show in years.

That uninteresting, unfunny gobsh*te (Murphy?) dragging out the intro to death, over-analyzing what kind of motion Crowley used in his finger wag....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Not certain but I think this will be our squad for next season:

1. Loughman, Kilcoyne, J Wycherley, Donnelly (Acad Yr 3), Kieran Ryan (Acad Yr 2)
    2. Barron, N Scannell, Buckley, Moore, D Sheahan (Acad Yr 1)
    3. Archer, John Ryan, Salanoa, Knox, McSweeney (Acad Yr 2)
    4. Snyman, Kleyn, Ahern, Edogbo (Yr 3)
    5. Beirne, F Wycherley, Hurley, O'Connell (Acad Yr 2)
    6. O'Mahony, O'Donoghue, Quinn (Acad Yr 2)
    7. Hodnett, O'Sullivan, Daly, J Sheahan (Acad Yr 1)
    8. Coombes, Kendellen, Okeke (Yr 3), Gleeson (Yr 1)
    9. Murray, Casey, Patterson, Cronin (to end of Jan '24), Coughlan (Acad Yr 3), Oliver (Acad Yr 2)
    10. Crowley, Carbery, Butler (Acad Yr 3)
    11. Daly, Zebo
    12. Nankivell, Scannell, Gibbons (Acad Yr 2)
    13. Frisch, O'Brien
    14. Conway, Nash, Coombes
    15. Haley, Campbell

Unconfirmed status: 1. L O'Connor, 4. E O'Connor, 4. Kelly, 11. Earls, 13. Morris, 14. Phillips, 14. McCarthy, 14. D Hurley.

I'd say there is room in the Academy for recruitment of one outside back (possibly covering all of 11/13/14/15 or maybe just covering back 3, or even just 15 if Campbell would be viewed more as a winger at senior level), if there were a suitable candidate such as Ike Anagu.

Post edited by Jump_In_Jack on

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Cronins extension until January was announced last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭phog

The Final is sold out after tickets only going on general sale this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,774 ✭✭✭✭Eod100

I see it now, buried within the squad update on 12th May,

"In player news, Munster Rugby can confirm that scrum-half Neil Cronin has signed a contract extension until the end of January 2024."

I see yesterday's squad update said Healy and Kleyn are following the RTPP, and the travelling squad will be selected on Monday, and travelling early next week.

Team to be named before 12PM Friday, match at 5:30PM Saturday 26th Irish Time, and broadcast live on TG4 and Premier Sports.

I wonder if Conor Fitzgerald (leaving Connacht) would be willing to sign a short term deal similar to Neil Cronin to the end of Jan 2024, seeing as Healy will be gone and Crowley will surely be with Ireland, and potentially Carbery too if Sexton doesn't recover, which would leave Butler (Academy Year 3) as the only out-half in the squad, unless they would prefer to use Rory Scannell as out-half cover.

Fitzgerald can also cover 15, so could be handy as it's not beyond the realms of possibility that Haley could get called into the World Cup squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭snotboogie

We need to take in a minimum of six academy players, I’d like to see us take eight, which is what Leinster took. Ben O’Connor is all but guaranteed to go in as an outside back. Dylan Hicks very likely to join straight out of school too. Edogbo, Oji, Costello all well worth a look too.

• Advertisement

That seems like a lot to me, but maybe the way forward is to start taking on a lot more year 1 recruits, and whittle it down every year that only the really good prospects should make it to year 3?

What position do you think we should be taking in extra academy recruits?

O'Connor is a fullback, and Hicks is an out-half, Edogbo is a back-row, Oji and Costelloe are wings I think.

Is there room for all of them, would bring the academy up to about 19 members, whereas recently it's seemed to always be around 15.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There's two approaches for academy.

In general Irish academies have moved from approach 1 to approach 2 over the last few years.

Argpproach 1

Take players who make it as lower level pros and if they go off to England or France its still a good thing.

Pros: More players coming through, less likely to miss someone

Cons: It's possible that the wrong players will get development focus game time opportunities and minutes. More expensive.

Argument 2

Only take players who might be good good enough to be a Munster player.

Pros: more focused development work. Cheaper.

Cons: players could be missed and squads need to be tightly planned in advance.

Munster have taken in 6 the last few years. Recently they made a big public commitment to less overseas signings and more homegrown players. With that in mind it’s hard to see how they don’t pick someone with the athletic profile of Edogbo, even with 2 back 3 options ahead of him now, and back him to develop in the academy system.

Could maybe see O’Connor for next season.

Then the following season Okeke will potentially move to seniors and Edogbo would be able to join the academy as a back row.

I think ideally there should be a spread across all positions and keep it to roughly 15.

We should put a small bit more focus on developing front rows and centres in my opinion, while also developing the best available talent in whatever position they emerge. It just so happens right now that there is a glut of back rows and scrum-halves, maybe in a few years that’ll change to other positions.

I assume the IRFU will be looking across all the academies to see where the gaps are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I listened to a podcast recently with Costello. The academy is max 20 players. They kind of expect guys to progress in two years or at least hit real minutes by year 3 (they changed some of their programs to be two years because of this) and they are irfu contracts not provincial ones. The feeling i got was that they need irfu signoff and players are expected to be of a certain standard to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Would would Munster give Caolan Dooley a shot. Light on centres and he Could probably cover ten at a push

There is only 14 at the moment with 2 in year 3. Leinster have the same I think and took in 8 this year.

I think Munster should bring into the academy: O'Connor as a fullback, Hicks as an out-half, and also bring in a loose head prop and a tight head prop and a 13.

So that would be Gleeson, D Sheahan, J Sheahan, O'Connor, Hicks, plus 3 more, 8 in total.

Campbell and Hurley will join the seniors next season, and no announcement on Phillips yet, but that's 3 spots out of 14, leaving 11.

So 11 + 8 = 19 next season.

Then the folllowing season 5 might graduate: Edogbo, Donnelly, Butler, Coughlan and probably McSweeney will graduate to join the senior squad.

That would mean 14 with 6 spots available, with a need for some second rows and wingers.

That's how I'd look at it for the next couple of seasons anyway.

I'd also look at trying to get Seán French back for next season and James French back to Munster the season after next.

• Advertisement

But you can't just conjure these guys out of thin air? Who are the two props and 13 you're proposing to bring in?

The two George's from the Irish U20s at LHP are possibly available, but I'd heard George Hadden was going to Connacht.

I'd also look at trying to get Seán French back for next season and James French back to Munster the season after next.

It's also strange to suggest James French returning after a year - if he succeeds in getting game time at Ulster (and he's a good chance of doing so given their scarcity of props), why would he be keen to return to Munster where he got virtually zero game time, it appears the coach doesn't rate him, and he's got two relatively young THPs in Salanoa and Knox ahead of him?

Advertisement