Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

I'd assume the refugees will be loyal to the party that brought them in

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

"Anti refugee camp" is the type of language that can distort the argument though (I'm not saying you did this deliberately).

I reckon a miniscule proportion of people are anti refugee, it's the system and the people abusing the system that are the problem.

However, it is getting painted as anti refugee in the media and general chat sometimes. It's hard to change that narrative once it's started and you've some head cases making their loudest voice heard. A lot of people, including myself, will only really talk about the issues privately with people we tend to know will agree or at least not attack us for having our concerns with the system and those abusing the system. It's become to easy to dismiss any concerns with a few words "far right", "racist", "anti refugee", "they just want to be safe", etc.

I talked to a friend who had only read headlines of the East Wall coverage so didn't really have much of an opinion on what was happening but when I quoted two women interviewed by Newstalk about their concerns he was genuinely surprised he'd not heard any of that before.

Really? Too close to the truth of what you're now saying?

If you and your "concerned" Inch fellow travellers are so worried about the sewage syster, why not put one of those very expensive tractors to use and empty the fcuking septic tanks?

That's be one of your "concerns" sorted.

What's happening there is now pure vigilantism.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I've documented proof of a sex-offender being flown into a tiny, remote town in West Clare.

This guy boasts about the kind of sick sh1t he likes to do to women.

And they just wave him through immigration, no vetting, no questions asked.

https://i.cbc.ca/1.6648317.1668117626!/fileImage/httpImage/image.JPG_gen/derivatives/16x9_780/usa-election-trump.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Got a text from Maher Private - Referral received. We are currently experiencing high demand. Staff will contact to arrange appt in 10-14 days.

Silly me for thinking that by going private I would get an appt within 2-3 weeks. Its taking two weeks just to get an appt for an appt for what could be months away. I hear the waiting list for neurology is 1-3 year , private!

Its safe to say we are goosed medically for the foreseeable future. If only the government would give priority to immigrants that can approve our collapsing health system before the hoards of unqualified men seeking benefits and free houses.

• Advertisement

I've news for you, those doctors weren't coming here anyway.

There's no houses and that's been coming for a long time, refugees or not.

Those doctors weren't going to be staying in tents or abandoned hotels.

A further shift to the right and scaremongering about foreign rapists isn't going to make the country more attractive to them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I was contemplating getting health insurance before I get screwed over by the risk equalisation, but decided against it. What's the point when you can't get a gp.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

There doesn't have to be a shift to the right if current politicians applied some common sense rather than appealing to Twitter.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

It is a mixed area. But very expensive to buy into now. Even an ex council house.

People who are paying huge nortgages won't take kindly to a load of young men loitering round the seafront or congregating in the town centre.

Let's see how it plays out

• Advertisement

We also have the issue if the brain drain where 80 percent of newly qualified doctors go off to Oz or the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,012 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

You do your argument no service with that silly stuff. We all know that young men in their 20s & 30s are going to be on the lookout to 'get their hole' if you'll excuse me being crude. It's basic human nature in Ireland, Brazil, Georgia, India wherever. This is one of the reasons why local residents are very wary of housing large groups of men in this category and particularly those coming from cultures where women are viewed as men's chattels.

They're not just a bunch of new people though with full busy lives.

So let's see indeed

So your problem is not with actual light skinned, ok orange, sex-offenders coming to West Clare, because he's what, old now?

It's with what these dark-skinned Muslims are hypothetically going to do, because of your generalizations about their culture. And because they're young.

It's ok everyone, old white people can't be sex offenders.

Doesn't really stand up does it?

For me it shows as nonsense that these protestors are out trying to protect the women.

I agree that services are being stretched by failing to deal with an increased population.

I can't see that the 100k refugees are having such a substantial effect. It's still a relatively very small number, especially if we allow, as others here are suggesting, that these are mostly younger people and less likely to require medical attention.

In terms of our health system my guess is that it's the equivalent of an extra bad flue season, or the pressures it will face in the next few years anyway with an aging population. Or may even face with other economic changes.

I think any potential impact by limiting or preventing refugees would be negated by the negative perception it would create, in those we need to come here to work in our health service.

The oil rich states can do pretty much what they like in terms of human-rights and still attract skilled workers.

We can't compete with their salaries.

We need to be seen as an attractive place to live and attacking 'foreigners' with dogs, burning them out and boarding their buses, labelling them all as rapists etc, certainly doesn't help.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭NattyO

"ChatGP, write me the most idiotic, hyperbolic, left-wing message you can"

"ChatGTP explain to me why white rich sex-offenders are good. Dark imaginary ones are bad."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

To me, this issue is more about government priorities than migrants. We have a housing crisis in this country because the government inflated house prices using the 200 billion euro it borrowed since 2008. Varadkar and O`Gorman seem flippant and distainful in their attitude to people who aspire to own their own home. Sinn Fein is no better, they seem to think people want to rent other people`s houses and are keen to throw them crumbs in the form of eviction bans and cheap flatpack shoeboxes to live in.

How about deflating the existing housing stock by the 200 billion it was inflated by? It`s easy, just tax property very heavily but exempt new builds and first time buyers for the next 20 years.

O`Gorman said he won`t go to Clare but the protesters can go to him. It sounds like the sort of thing Marie Antoinette would have said.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

well they've made no difference to East Wall which is a quieter area than DL so I think they'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

We need someone beter than Leo at the helm I think. I was struck by the coverage of the blockade in West Clare on yesterday evening's six-one onr RTE. Whatever about the situation in Inch and the rights or wrongs of it, the locals have concerns. It seems like this was foisted on them with maybe a few day's notice. My suspicion on what's happening is that those in the know are deliberately keeping locals in the dark until the 11th hour for fear of trouble in the lead up. We've had cases where facilities have been the victims of arson before so it does make sense to be coy about proposed locations. However, in this case, rather than talk to the locals and admist that they had some concerns and attempt to assuage those, we had Leo coming out on his high horse saying that nobody has the right to dictate who and who cannot live in their area. I dont' think that's the essential issue here. Rural Ireland has had a steady influx of new people for quite a long time. People don't essntially mind it. However when a large group of non-nationals are suddenly parachuted into a small area, I don't see how there would not be concerns.

Leo seems to be doing his best to fuel the fire by telling locals that they should shut up because their concerns don't matter. Telling people they don't have a right to dictate who lives in their community might be essentially correct but the issue here is the sudden and large influx of new people to the community without links or a shared culture or even the ability to integrate. It's a bad message and it's only compounded by Roderick O'Gorman refusing to meaningfully engage with the residents. More high-handed stuff there. I can't see how this won't breed even more fear and discontent in other communities facing an influx as seen in Inch. I can't see how other communities now will not be on watch for developments like this. Seems to be blaming those affected by the govenment's bad approach to planning for the results of the bad approach to planning. It's scary because we are generally an open and accepting country but government need to realise that if you keep doing what they're doing and are pushing people beyond what they can accept, and imposing situations on them then acting like it's a fait acompli and their problem, it's going to cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

of course they do, they do so to get experience in their field and just to have a bit of fun while they can. most of us would if we had the qualifications to work pretty much wherever we like after finishing your medical degree and you can get experience in hospitals abroad that you just can't get in ireland. the majority of them come back though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭0ph0rce0

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭72sheep

THIS is the long term strategy. Decades ago Peter "The Irish Peasant" Sutherland was wheeled around Europe evangelising for open borders. Just wait until those "climate migrants" start arriving en masse. It's child's play to govern across countries when you've completely diluted their "racist"/"populist" traditions with poor people from all over the world. Varadkar et al are traitors as this policy is a deliberate attack on the Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

Some have complex needs e.g. https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(22)00214-6/fulltext

I wish the health service was better and it should be better. However, it seems to be in a bad state.

If a bucket is full and more is put in, it just doesn't go in.

Again, I think this is a problem due to our incompetent government. Our health service should have surge capacity. I don't think we can or should blame refugees but nevertheless it seems we have a massive problem with capacity going back years and the government have done nothing. The extreme waiting lists were being highlighted before the Russian invasion even began.

I don't know the solution. Maybe put Martin and varadkar in prison along with some other HSE admin to encourage competent work to be done.

Not sure why everyone is getting so worked up at the moment. Last year we were amongst many offering a room, (I was going to sleep in the shed). There seems to be a serious turn in opinion very quickly.

The fact the Irish times had it's lead story yesterday as anti refugee and free to read suggests the government is also looking to restrict entry of refugees. One might think that they could set up an agency to train the refugees to build houses. Instead it seems to be a very small number making hay.

The government just seems completely useless. I can't understand why they are so awful. Why can they never find progressive solutions? Maybe cabinets need industry professionals to become ministers?

Sorry more questions than answers but I think people need to rethink attacking people like Lucas and focus on a government that cannot govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭irishproduce

That's not entirely true. There are of course some useful idiots in the mix but the vast vast majority are those grifting and pilfering a living out it in the advocacy and NGO side. What a way to sell your soul

• Registered Users Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Genuinely curious but where are the women?

It seems to be all men that are fleeing here.

Are women fleeing here also but we don't hear about them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

I'll put it this way.

If you told the people of Santry that you were going to randomly select 303 Irish men and put them in a former office building in dormitory accommodation and restricted them from working for at least five months if moved in directly. https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving-country/asylum-seekers-and-refugees/the-asylum-process-in-ireland/rights-and-obligations-of-asylum-seekers-in-ireland/#:~:text=You%20can%20apply%20for%20permission,allowed%20to%20work%20without%20permission.

I think there'd be serious concerns.

I think one of the biggest problem is unsuitable accommodation, supports and facilities. Why has the government not provided a suitable center similar to City West but purpose built?

Advertisement