Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My Super Speed Sticks journey

Options
  • 17-05-2023 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭

Well it’s not really a journey….. not yet anyway! So I picked up the speed sticks a few weeks back but haven’t even taken them out of the box. Last night I managed to get a PRGR to monitor speed. Plan is to just be doing this in back garden. No balls will be hit. First session done tonight.

Before you start your training session they recommend some warm ups, which I'm gonna link here for handy purposes 😁

First up is what they call a dynamic warm up which should be done before every session

After this is level 1 warm up but there no YouTube video to embed ☹️

So then I took a few swings with the driver first to set a mark down and I maxed out at 106mph.

then into level 1 protocol

Here is my numbers. Might have marked some down wrong or misread on PRGR.

Best Smash Factor I hit was 1.35..... but I don't know that means a lot here.

And that's it, 3 times a week now for the next............... how long is a piece of string. Lets see can I get the numbers up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,876 ✭✭✭Russman

Looking forward to hearing how you get on. Got them myself and, similar to you, I've left them sitting in the shed for the last long time. This might give me the impetus to actually get stuck in ! I know this is frighteningly obvious, but its so apparent, in my course anyway, the difference between this year the course being so wet, and last year being hard and dry and the length its playing. If I can make up some of that through more speed it should definitely help scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

does non-dominant mean you swing them the wrong way?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭plumber77

Non dominant means swinging left handed if you're a right handed golfer

Something seems off with you marker drive at 106. Realistically it should be just slightly higher that your red dominant numbers as that club is 5% heavier than driver. Green dominant would be mid 120s+ if driver speed is 106

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

@Seve OB best of luck. You'll no doubt be cruising over 110mph on driver CHS with this program if you stick with it.

I wouldn't worry about smash factor here. If you're ripping as hard as possible to see your max speed, it'll be hard to get proper contact so smash will be poor. On a good swing and proper contact it should be 1.47-1.5 range for a "gamer" drive.

Are you doing any other fitness work at the same time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

good question. I had been working hard on my cardio, running lots and from mid Jan to mid April I had clocked up about 300km of running.... from a base of basically nothing. I was definitely feeling fitter and it was helping with my golf. Unfortunately I got a dose of that knocked me out for a couple of weeks and between still feeling the pinch of that a bit and just been flat out busy, I've not gotten back on the horse.... yet. But I do hope to. I also got into a bit of gym work last winter, but I'm not really a gym bunny and that didn't last, however would like to involve some of that in my routines when life settles down a bit.

The super speed workout is good because it takes feck all time, it's in the garden so don't have to plan. Even if I don't improve my swing speed, or me, it's a lot about it being a workout to help general fitness and with a lean towards golf is a good thing.

bad reads maybe? it was getting a bit towards the dusk side so possible issue with light.

also wonder if it makes a difference on the speed sticks if i have the PRGR set at W1? no option for speed sticks. sure it's giving me carry distance and total distance and I'm not even hitting balls! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Heading down this road myself. Hope the back, knees and wrists hold up. Will be interesting to see how I compare to your progress. Best of luck on the journey.

Defo something wrong then. I use the speedsticks and prgr. Only reading you should be is swing speed if you're not hitting a ball. Occasionally I'll get a reading if I brush the grass with a swing.

• Advertisement

Same as that W1. I think you've to make sure the prgr is slightly raised if doing it in grass and that your swing is a well clear of the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bakerbhoy

Had 3w and D fitting today. Mcguirks. Trackman.

3w speed topped at 94.

D topped at 97.

These are my marks before I start.

Any gains won't /shouldn't exceed my new Shaft optimals.

Advertisement