Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An end to free parking?

Options

Comments

And damn anyone who doesn't have a convenient train on their doorstep that gets them to and from work in 20-25 minutes, like you do, right?

And you then call car commuters selfish.

Really? Because I know I've seen it come up before.

Its been mentioned in my office (though more in the context of them not cleaning the showers properly after themselves).

Having said that, I'd rather they took a shower, than didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sounds like a real nightmare, having loads of fit, healthy staff in the organisation, lowering absence rates, health insurance costs.

Remember when you told us with absolute certainty that the roadworks in Fairview would be removed by 1st September last?

• Advertisement

Presumably you’ll be advocating strongly through the union for equivalent benefits for staff who can’t or don’t drive to work, particularly the lower paid staff who can’t afford a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,038 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Car commuters putting their needs disproportionately over everyone else is how this thread stated, and why these measures are being proposed.

I meant in LV specifically. But that is also interesting.

No driver walked into an office late complaining about the traffic, or left early to get ahead of it. Especially the long distance ones. Or traffic on a wet day, schools back. Etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

You've seen it here first. I must be wrong though as some cyclist are no doubt conscientious enough to leave home earlier so they can have their shower and change clothes on their own time. In any case given the seemingly burning need, in the name of equality, to charge car owners a fee for parking their cars at work, maybe those showers shouldn't be free after all, as you know that which is free is wasted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭creedp

A fee equal to their environmental impact or their impact on traffic. Either route will just increase the cost for motorists.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, i have never heard it mentioned before. i used to get in very early when i cycled, which was more a question of traffic avoidance (not that it'd slow me down, per se, more that it's more pleasant and safer with less traffic). quite a few cyclists took the same tack.

one factor might be that if a motorist needs to be in the office for 9, they might need to leave a say 15 minute buffer to account for traffic - so would usually arrive in earlier than needed. a cyclist needing to be in the office for 9 would have a much better idea of exactly how long their commute would be, so while they're still punctual, they usually arrive later than the motorists.

in short, cyclists are like gandalf; never late, they arrive precisely when they mean to.

another thing which i remember hearing about before was issues with parking in the city centre, specifically for that mobile telco who had their head office down near the IFSC or grand canal, i think? anyway, parking was at such a premium that it was a known thing for people to arrive in the car park at half six, and actually get a snooze in their cars for half an hour or an hour before heading up into the office. again, not an issue cyclists would usually have to contend with. you'd occasionally get a five minute queue for the shower in my place.

anyway, there's lots of reports that a fitter workforce is more productive. e.g.

https://www.newswise.com/articles/active-physically-fit-employees-have-better-work-performance

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,443 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

or else, if a motorist is late, all the other motorists think 'well, he's got an excuse, traffic is awful' but don't extend that sympathy/whatever you'd call it, to cyclists.

No, this thread was started so that flag waving anti-car brigade members like yourself could gloat.

Well, like I said earlier (and IIRC the OP himself also later acknowledged), this proposal is so full of holes and exemptions, that I wouldn't be holding my breath if I were you.

There is a reason why your great green hero ER didn't announce it himself. Have a think about why that may be.

Personally I think anyone can be late regardless of mode of transport.

It's a ridiculous argument. Not everyone showers because they cycle. Does everyone who walks into the office have a shower. Most people cycle at a leisurely place and in normal clothes. No more effort than walking.

I'm not sure why you're so proud of being a badge wearing polluter. You'd concrete the planet if you could.

The only badge I wave is the blue badge which will still allow me to drive my car to work and park for free. I'm sure that must piss you off. I also do not have a very convenient train on my doorstep like you do, and I bought my house 26 years ago when it was a small estate surrounded by fields.

Your pettiness has been off the scale, even for you, on this thread.

Stay classy, Flinty.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

I received the same rubbish statement. The audacity of me to settle down in my community with my family and pay for it with my own money. The sense being made by the anti-car brigade is very near to zero. They are now resorting to some strange sense of smugness that motorists are to be charged even more money for needing a car...and sarcasm.

I too have the blue pass, so it's not something I am fighting for to suit myself. I just hate senseless stuff like the OP of this thread which is totally unnecessary and does nothing to help anyone. Box ticking, point scoring nonsense for the green and lycra brigade.

Stay Free

• Registered Users Posts: 3,603 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Pretty disgusting attitude right there. Attack someone with a blue badge who has to drive to work. Can't be getting any lower than that. I'm out of here before I say something that attracts a mod.

Stay Free

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@[Deleted User] wrote:

...flag waving anti-car brigade members like yourself...

...your great green hero ER...

@...Ghost... wrote:

...the anti-car brigade...

...Box ticking, point scoring nonsense for the green and lycra brigade.

Does your argument really need to resort to trying to insult people in order to strengthen it?

All I did was mirror your own posting style. So if you want "classy" reflected back...

People in general don't accidentally end up near (or far away from) train lines some of which are almost 100 yrs old. It's also quite the assumption that I've only ever travelled by train.

I wondered where you were!!

What took you so long getting here? Where you stuck on a meandering bus? 🚌

And yes, I'll definitely be advocating strongly on this, as both part of my dept's green team, (who is tasked with implementing these proposals), and as a union member.

To answer your question, you should know I always advocate for the best possible conditions for lower paid staff, it got me into a lot of trouble here in the past, with higher paid ones who thought taking care of the lower paid "devalued" them. But that's another thread.

Now, I'm off to get my hair done. I think I deserve it. See y'all later.

In fairness, I try to keep the fact that I have a blue badge out of these threads, because it should be irrelevant.

But unfortunately I am not the type of person who sits back and only thinks of how things impact on me, despite being accused of being such. If I were, i wouldn't give a **** about these proposals, as I won't be personally impacted. However, I have staff and friends who will, if they are allowed to happen. And those people matter.

Now, gotta run. (not literally).

They said I'm a flag waver, I said they are badge wearer.

I think it's disgusting you attack someone who flag waves for social equality and the environment. We also have people in the family with Disabled Persons Parking Permit. But no Blue Badges. Thats a UK thing AFAIK. I don't see what any of that has got to do with paid parking. Seems like a strawman.

Post edited by Flinty997 on

Parking in Dundrum TC has always been charged.

I was on the thread earlier, but I got a bit distracted. Sorry for the delay.

What kind of measures are you thinking of advocating for the lower paid staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Speedline

The 'poor' employees in my job get covered parking and free charging for their electric bikes and scooters.

That would depend on what they wanted in return. Ultimately, it would be up to the members to mandate. At minimum it would be a pay increase that goes some way towards mitigating any loss of benefit. Obviously that increase would apply to staff who don't drive, too.

Don't forget there is already the Bike To Work scheme and Tax Saver travel passes, for anyone who doesn't or can't drive, (both of significant €€€ value), free charging of your e-vehicles , e-bikes and e-scooters at work, provision of secure lockers (for storage of your personal property!) and free use of electric showers. (All of that would save a few bob on the esb bill at home). Am I petty and begrudging of these facilities to anyone who uses them? No. But most of these things aren't used by those commuting to work by car. So should they be compensated for not using them?

I'm not niave enough and neither are you, to think the current Government are going to do anything that would be seen to help anyone, low paid or otherwise, actually buy cars.

TGIF.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

This seems to be causing an issue for some, but to be honest, **** them.

The main idea behind this is for Ireland to have a proper European-style public transport system we need to invest heavily in it. However, if policy implementers in the Public and Civil Service get free parking and are incentivised to use the car, then there isn't the motivation to implement better public transport solutions.

Sure, the people who use the bus are usually poorer, and of a lower socio-economic class?

This evens up the game, makes Ireland a more equal society, prevents unneeded car journeys, helps the environment and increases the odds that we get a better public transport system.

The only downside is the odd civil servent losing their free parking, which should have been taxed as BIK anyway.

Advertisement