Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game News 2.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The much delayed system shock remake has apparently gone gold

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,324 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Requiem: A Plague Tale just got a 60fps patch on consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Nice. Maybe I'll go back to it, if it's still on GamePass.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Humanity will be free on ps+ extra if you are interested in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

The Open Road, made by Fulbright (Steve Gaynor, Gone Home) that was set to come out 2 years ago but reports of a toxic workplace because of Steve made the project go quiet. Blog update today from Steve said Fulbright well no longer market the game and Annapurna will take over and the game be credited to 'The Open Road Team', very strange. It's like he's distancing himself from it and not having his studios name attached even though they made it. Sucks as I'm very intrigued by the game itself.

https://fullbright.cmail20.com/t/t-e-fhtudtt-pikikkhuk-k/

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

EU clears the Activision-Microsoft deal, ‘subject to conditions’. Obviously a big hurdle cleared but the deal won’t be able to go ahead still unless the UK / US blocks are resolved or overturned.

Very funny that the EU say the deal would mark a ‘significant improvement’ for cloud gaming - total opposite of the UK’s stance 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭quokula

A 'significant improvement' if Microsoft comply with the commitments the EU are requiring - the report specifically says that "The acquisition would harm competition in the distribution of PC and console games via cloud game streaming services" in the event that Microsoft were to stick to their own plan rather than implementing the remedies that they have set forth. MS have agreed to it but they have a long track record of agreeing to this sort of thing then reneging on it further down the line and just paying the line.

The conditions only apply to the EU so MS committing to this doesn't mean they'd need to do it in any other markets - the statement mentions that Activision's games are less popular or relevant in Europe than other regions which might be why MS would agree to it here but haven't been willing to put forward something palatable to regulators in the US and UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,941 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Microsoft are incredibly boring and waste disgusting amounts of money. This is the only cloud gaming I'm interested in right now. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 12,535 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It's the imposed commitments they're praising as an improvement not the deal itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Amazon are taking another swing at a LOTR MMO.

I've no idea how well (or otherwise) New World was received, but the NW team will be the ones tasked with bringing the game to market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I dropped into my nearest one yesterday and it was very quiet. The manager there was very down and very tired and said to me the shop will close at the end of June.

The closure of it hurts me as the thing I will most about it is the personal touch.

Jesus. Ubi want to increase the number of staff working on AssCreed projects from 2000 to 2800, and at the expense of their other games/IPs. Their upper management sure sound like they know what they're doing. 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 29,809 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

That seems.... a lot. I wonder what's the total number of salary for all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,845 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

You are looking at about 200 mill a year.

But that wouldn't be working on just one game. Likely a team on live service, team on main development and then a team of pre production on the following title/titles.

Yeah, VGC say that includes six AC projects. Six!

Still, they'll have no trouble paying those salaries once the NFT money starts rolling in...

Edit: Speaking of Ubisoft, these are the games they're releasing in the next 12 months, according to their earnings call. "Another Large Game"... Division Heartland? Far Cry?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,603 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The PvE mode for Overwatch 2, the mode they stopped development on OW1 for about 3 years to focus on, the mode they insisted was the main reason for the switch from OW1 to OW2 because it was so big, the mode they essentially sunsetted copies of OW1 people owned and switched the PvP modes to a F2P Battlepass system for..... it's been cancelled.

Wasn't cancelled yesterday. Was cancelled "late last year", but just announced yesterday (bearing in mind, the switch to OW2 was also late last year, which means the PvE was likely cancelled shortly after its launch). Some elements of it in terms of seasonal PvE events like the ones that used to be in OW1 (Junkenstein's Revenge etc) will be rolled into Battlepass seasons, but without the upgrades, skill trees, progression etc that OW2 PvE was originally designed for.

That's got to be a real kicker for the team who were working on it for so long. But the biggest issue is that forcing your copy of OW1 to switch to OW2 with that F2P/Battlepass system was supposed to be based on the PvE system being so large and such a change to the fabric of the game that it warranted the game becoming Overwatch 2. Now, all people have gotten is a switch from 6v6 to 5v5, and an awful battlepass/seasons system.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,279 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Some interesting developments regarding loot boxes in Austria. Could start an avalanche of litigation.... Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,454 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Surprise "you're now bankrupt" mechanics!

Already been the usual rumours flying around the last few weeks about this showcase, particularly relating to a Playstation/Konami partnership for remakes or new games. Also likely to see more of Spider-Man 2 given that it's still supposedly out later this year. They say it's just over an hour long, so this is likely their big showcase for the summer.

They've a lot to tell us you'd imagine - it's been 18 months since the last showcase, and apart from some rumours we don't know what a lot of their main studios are up to. Hopefully some new IPs and not just more GOW, Horizon etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭recyclops

All I want is a reason to turn on my PS5 come on Sony it cant be that difficult, Silent Hill 2 release date can save you here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

The Expanse Telltale announcement....

Oye, beltalowdas! Big news!

Episode One of #TheExpanse: A Telltale Series will be launching on July 27th for PlayStation 5, PlayStation 4, Xbox Series X|S, Xbox One and PC via Epic Games Store.

The following four episodes will then release every two weeks afterwards!

Pre-orders for both the Standard ($39.99) and Deluxe Editions ($44.99) will go live on June 1, 2023.

Those of you who pre-order will receive 24-hour early access*, while players who purchase the Deluxe edition will also receive future DLC... but you'll have to wait to find out more about that...

https://telltale.com/the-expanse-a-telltale-series-launches-july-27th-2023/

* Only available on PlayStation and Epic Games Store

Mortal Kombat reveal tomorrow (though it'll probably be early Friday morning our time).

I thought maybe it was going to be part of the PlayStation Showcase, but guess they're just dropping their own trailer instead. Although as someone on Twitter said, it could be a cinematic trailer this week, and gameplay footage at the Showcase.

If Sony are going to make a Vania game I'd be afraid it's going to be a soulless god of war rip off like the lord's of shadow games were. Although if mercury stream are on board for them again I might be interested in how they turn out. They're a very different company now and working with Nintendo has turned them into a much better developer.

Ah, I thought it said 6pm and I was counting forward to 2am Friday morning. My mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

We may have a new option for gaming soon, HMV are returning to the Irish market. Their first store will open in July in GameStop's old unit on Henry Street in Dublin. According to the article it will be over 3 floors so it sounds like they'll open the floor GS used as a storeroom.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,401 ✭✭✭Homelander

Very pissed off at the Overwatch 2 thing. Whole point of OW2 was that the PVE would set it apart from OW1.

Now it's just the exact same game just with 5v5 instead of 6v6. There's not one single thing about it unique to itself that couldn't have been done in OW1.

Obviously, I get they wanted to switch to a new Battlepass, Microtransation based system, but the way they've done it by selling PVE as a major thing they've been working on for years that necessitated a new engine is so underhand and low.

Them saying there'll be PVE "missions" in the seasons is a cop-out. They are ten minute mini-games every few months at best. Hardly comparable to what was promised, a full PVE mode with skill/talent trees for individual heroes, etc.

I'm not into Overwatch but it seems like a totally scummy move. It's so sad to see Blizzard go from a company that cared about how good their games were and delaying or cancelling games that didn't meet their high expectations to another corporate greed production line of scumbaggery. The old Blizzard would never have released OW2 with no PVE or a disaster like WC3 remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Advertisement