Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lack of Movement on Social Housing List

Options
  • 18-05-2023 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this but I'm just wondering if anyone else is on the social housing list with DCC and had their progress come to a complete stand still?

My family and I have been on the list for 5 years which I know isn't long in the big picture, but we had been moving at a steady pace since then until January last year where it seemed to slow down before coming to a complete stop around this time last year. Since then the only movement we've had is when they did their bi annual clear up of applicants, and since that we have been moving backwards on the list and are now a higher position than at the start of the year.

I'm just wondering if this was the norm? I can understand initially that our progress would be slow as the needs of those on the list change and they are placed ahead of us but I thought at 5 years the occurrences of that would be less frequent than in the beginning. I even thought it may be some kind of knock on effect from shutting down building sites during Covid but looking at the allocations for the last two years are all around the same number.

Anyone any experience of this, or any idea what might cause it or should I query it with DCC?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭J_1980

Might’ve something to do with ukraine war. Huge amount of refugees and every accommodation at least temporarily been used for housing them.

i have no evidence of that, just a guess. “Until January last year” you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭08122019

Yeah I was kind of trying to avoid the elephant in the room, as it was insisted that this wasn't going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,113 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Social housing is on a points based system, it's very common to move back rather than forward. Here's a very basic example, single mother with 2 kids is on the list, single mother with 2 kids, one of whom is disabled joins the list and leap frogs you based on points. So when you thought you were stopped you may actually have moved down the list and then back up.

Post edited by Caranica on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

I know of a single mother who spent 11 years on the list before she got an apartment, and that was years ago. The simple reality is that there are too few houses and too many people who need them.

Advertisement