Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

A real underdog story.

Pep will of course be lauded as the greatest miracle worker in the history of football when he wins this treble. Dragging several clubs up through the lower leagues to the ultimate glory of top level success, never having a pot to p1ss in or a window to throw it out of anywhere he's managed. What a hero.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,258 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

what a goal. 4-0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Your posts are coming across a bit mad tbh. City haven't even been diving, Madrid just can't keep up and are fouling them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What a hiding. Real didn't turn up at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Wonder if City will be able to fill their ticket allocation for the final? 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Sums it all up, when the world cup winner that you can use as a bench warmer comes on to knock in a 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As if to underline it, three players who can't get in the team ... Mahrez, Foden and Alvarez, combine for the fourth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,287 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Semi-final 2nd Leg Results

FC Internazionale Milano (ITA) 1 V 0 AC Milan (ITA) (Agg 3-0)

Manchester City FC (ENG) 4 V 0 Real Madrid CF (ESP) (Agg 5-1)

Final

Saturday 10th June - 20:00

Manchester City FC (ENG) V FC Internazionale Milano (ITA)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,085 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Having those quality subs all season switching and rotating in order to keep everyone fresh for the business end of the season. It really shows now.

Foden Alvarez Mahrez not near the starting line up in either leg. Laporte cast aside.

Bernardo Silva only needed to start 2 group stage games. Kept the miles in his legs and so therefore he's able to play 90 in every knockout game.

Man City don't have 22 players. They have 16/17 top class players rotating at the right times in order to keep everyone fresher, fit and firing for the business end of the season. They don't tire, they don't burn out. They don't have to run anyone into the ground as the easy 3 switches they make every game is possible because there is no drop off in quality.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

There's foul by both sides, but that was not a foul for the free for the third goal. Grealish, is as we all know, well known for honesty and staying upright, and not throwing himself to the turf at the slightest touch.

City were the better team, but Grealish dives constantly. He's made it an art form. Ronaldo, Robben, Suarez, and the spirit of Francis Lee are strong in him.

You have players like Salah who get kicked up and down the pitch and can't buy a free and grealish gets them for next to nothing.

°°°°°

It really is a miracle he's been able to get a tune out of that squad. Same at Bayern "we win the league every year whoevers managing us" Munich or being gifted the greatest club side of all time at Barcelona who were already brilliant under Frank Rijkard (who the fvck is he?).

Seeing that fruad get plaudits beyond anything offered to men like Clough, Shankley or Ferguson, who despite who you support actually grafted to drag their clubs to success repeatedly is a joke, you could even throw Jose in as a more authenticly brilliant manager than Pep. No danger of Pep taking on a job where success isn't an absolute guarantee, he's a parasite suckling at the teet of Abu Dhabi feigning surprise whenever allegations of corruption get brought up.

I could rant all night about City and Pep, they're perfect for each other, neither have any morals and stink to high heaven.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Bernardo Silva on the final: "It's going to be tough but we're gonna try it."

Plz STFU 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

I expect City to win it now, I hope they get over confident and think it'll be an easy game because that's the best hope for Inter.

Can only hope Inter have top 4 in the bag fairly soon so they can do a bit of rotating and at least put out a fresh injury-free team in the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Strangely one sided. A bit ominous. Man City might be on the beginning of a period of dominance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Ide love to see Inter really really shthouse their way to a win. Won't happen but it would be a good laugh watching Pep crack up.

A fitting opponent for City really as the win makes Manchester only the second city to have 2 European cup winning teams.

°°°°°

They've won the league the last two seasons, they'll win the treble this year and it's hard to see how they won't do it again next year unless they put out a weak side in the cup.

City's era of dominance began a long time ago.

Glazers Out!

BT just gave a ton of credit to City for 'seeing something in Grealish'.

He cost £100m, lads.

There’s no era of dominance until they win that CL. It’s likely to happen now and it’s from there that their era of dominance (if it happens) begins.

Can’t see how they don’t win v Inter. Maybe Man United can stop their treble. Would give them a better chance of an upset than Inter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Now that was a lesson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

City are the better team and should win it fairly easily but I've been writing Inter off in this competition all season, so much so that when asked earlier in the season about booking time off to go to matches, I replied that there was no worries about the weekend on the final because there was no chance we'd get there. Hopefully I'm wrong again.

I hadn't thought about that, I'd assumed Sporting had won it at some point but I was wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,171 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Grealish is the weakest link.

Inter will not lie down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

City were class, even though Gundogan and deBruyne were a bit off, and Haaland looked human, Alvarez is class , as was Walker.

They just have so so many options. If De Bruyne is off it, Bernaldo Silva steps up. If Haaland's not breaking through, Alvarez brings another approach. Then all the guile and unpredictability of Graelish, Mahrez, and Fodan etc - it's frightening.

It'll be sad to lose Golden Miller from the site.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I'll miss the posts about the Leeds ultras the most I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

The Real Madrid squad was always going to run out of steam one of these years. The core of that 3peat team in midfield is winding down now. I'd be surprised if Modric and Kroos start another Knockout game together.

City - it will be a walk to the trophy now. Real was their biggest challengers left by far and in truth they were nowhere close in the end - neither Inter or AC has/had it in them to stop them.

Given the state of the traditional European teams at the moment and the strength of the PL then it was only a matter of time before City won it. Hard to see who can build a squad to compete in the next few seasons with them as well.

A bad day for football really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

I'll put money on City to win the final to take the sting put if they do it, but it would be hilarious if Inter win.

I really hate the cheating they're doing though. I'd say most non-city fans will never recognize them as anything but a money project which means they'll never be held in the same regard as the great teams of Arsenal, United, Barca, Real, Bayern, Milan etc.

But the players will have medals and be minted, so I doubt they'll give a sh*t.

• Advertisement

Arsenal have never won the European Cup now called the Champions League, I have no idea (other than maybe you’re an Arsenal fan) why you put them into that bracket of clubs you mentioned.

Going unbeaten in the league is an incredible achievement for a non-cheating team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Absolutely, 5/6 leagues. Never mind the domestic cups and constant 90+ seasons. Liverpool have a semblance of competition for a few years but the CL win be the icing on the dominance, not the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭jacool

At some point in this conversation, can we spare a thought for relegated Southampton, even if not for their then manager, Nathan Jones?

They, and only they, are the reason we are not looking at the potential "history making quadruple"!

I kinda found Ancelloti's tactics last night very strange.

Now who am I to question the great man, but I think from the 1st leg it was obvious that City really going to dominate possession again. And it was patently clear after 10min that madrid were being outclassed and that Modric and Kroos needed to be taken off, they were simply too old and slow to keep up with the pace of the game. Now I know it would have been a major embarrassment for both players to get the hook so early, but Carlo played in such a way it was only a matter of time until they conceded. Camavinga in the 1st leg changed the 2nd half when he was moved into his preferred midfield position. I would have started the game with him in there, along with Tchauomeni, and Rudiger at the back, basically what they tried in the 2nd half.

It was a game for young legs and young lungs, and Kroos and especially Modric were found out badly. A guy like Bellingham is badly needed in there. Him, Camavinga, Valverde, Tchauomeni will be a formidable midfield. I don't see any future in playing the old guys next season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,719 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

His tactics seamed a bit a Tony Pullis style, for a club like Real, they got a schooling.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

Grealish has been in great form recently. Nailed on to start in the final in my opinion. He links up so well with De Bruyne and Haaland.

Inter won't be a push over. They've won 8 games in a row now. In two cup finals. Finishing the season strong.

Still feels like the time Liverpool played Spurs in the final a couple of years back. You just never really thought Spurs could win it. I don't think the Spurs players believed they could either. Inter will need something special to happen to have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

BT are an embarassment to be honest.

Manchester City are on course to be talked about as the greatest club side of all time – that is according to Rio Ferdinand.

“I've played against a Pep Guardiola side which I think is the best club side ever in Barcelona - they had [Lionel] Messi and won the Champions League and they beat us.

“City have got to win this title - maybe a couple of times - but they're on route to be classed alongside teams like that. Three back-to-back Premier Leagues, a potential treble and when do they stop?”

Michael Owen them chimed in

“And it's no coincidence,” added Owen. “That the two teams that you're talking about are managed by Guardiola.

“People can talk about great players but I played in a team with a collection of the greatest players. It doesn't necessarily mean success.

“This man is an absolute genius. I mean tactically he is off the scale.”

Good old Pep he turned a team of journey men footballers into the great Barcelona side.

City wouldnt get a touch of the ball against that Barcelona side, they would be walloped.

On the game, the key to the win was Kyle Walker.

I'm not sure any other defender in world football can take on the best attackers in the world one-on-one. He took Vinicius' soul. Then, with Benzema not being last season's Benzema, in reality, that was the tie. Everything Real actually had that could hurt City once they could hold the ball long enough was gone.

Pep is a genius, when you consider he has always been hampered by having to manage the richest club in each country he's work in, with the most money, the best players.

How did he ever win anything?

• Advertisement

the thing about Pep is that I don't subscribe to the idea he's in any way a fraud. he's obviously a genius.

what people don't get is that when you have a league full of teams, where there are a few managers who are brilliant, and there is one of those brilliant managers whose club financially cheat, then obviously that person's team is going to win more often than not. It's not rocket science. And it leaves it to other teams to figure out ways to get ahead. It's exhausting.

State funded clubs who hire brilliant managers have an obvious, massive advantage over brilliant managers whose clubs are run even with a modicum of sense and best practice.

Pep isn't the reason for success. Money isn't the sole reason either. It's the two of them together that make City what it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

City wouldnt get a touch of the ball against that Barcelona side, they would be walloped.

This City team are every bit as good as Barca 09-11.

There is a similar argument in Formula 1 - was Hamilton winning all his titles because he is the best driver, or because he had the best car? The reality is it's both. It's chicken and egg, he only drives the best car because he is the best driver and he is only the best driver because he drives the best car. Same with Pep. He manages the best teams because he is (one of) the best. It's a cycle.

A few years ago, there was some sort of Formula 1 type racing competition where every single car was the same. Same chassis, same engine, same tyres etc. The same mechanics in all cars. The skill came down to the individual drivers to see who was actually the best, it didn't come down to who could afford the best engineers or who could get the best sponsor to pay for a new carbon fibre body kit to make the car faster. The real skill was in the drivers seat.

It will never happen, or could happen, but something like that in football would really clear up some arguments! Give Pep a random 16 players and will he coach them to be better and play good attractive, football? Absolutely, I have no doubt in my mind. He is a brilliant coach. Will he win major trophies with them? That remains to be seen. Not wanting to pick players but could he turn a Aaron Wan Bissaka into a hybrid full back, comfortable on the ball midfielder and dictating play like he has done with Stones and Lahm? Or could he turn a Emile Smith Rowe into those hybrid wingers/centre midfielder/false 9 type players like he has had great success with in David Silva, Bernado Silva & KDB? Will he win with those decent players? Not players who are cherry picked from around the world, at any cost, to perfectly suit his way of playing.

That's where the question remains and the closest we have to the answer here is the 16/17 season where he was playing Otamendi, Kolarov, Sagna, Navas, Yaya Toure (all decent players on their day) etc while still having KDB, Silva, Aguero, Kompany, Fernandinho, Sane, Gundogan & Sterling available to him. He didn't have it all his own way. He finished 4th. His worst ever league season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

They arent fit to lace their boots, boys against men.

You put them in with a group of clubs that have won the European Cup/Champions League. They are not in that category.

I put them in a group of well respected teams. I don't think City will ever be a well respected team because they cheat.

I see the powerful Madrid press have turned on some players after last night's game, forgetting all the great things they did for them over the years.

Understandably, Modric and Kroos took a lashing. They were poor and look past their sell by dates at this stage. A season too far for them?

Same perhaps for Benzema? He has been carrying injuries for a lot of the season, and he was very isolated last night. He's been an amazing servant for so many years, one of Madrids all time great forwards.

And rather strangely, camavinga has also been picked out for criticism. I wouldn't be pissing this guy off, he is a genuine star of the future. He did get a bit of a runaround at LB, but he's not a LB. In both legs when he was moved into his usual position, madrid got more control. I hope the press don't try to unsettle him there.

City haven’t won the European Cup/CL either yet. Perhaps you should wait until that happens before displaying your bitterness. I’m not a Man City fan btw, maybe you think I am because of my username.

Arsenal don’t belong in that category you mentioned because they’ve never won the European Cup/CL.

Also there’s a couple of other clubs you mentioned there that have been caught out “cheating” as you might put it at times as well. For example Milan were relegated a couple of decades ago for match fixing and bribery and then were took over by Berlusconi. Real Madrid that you also mentioned get away with blue murder for years especially in home games. They seem to have different rules applied to them than the rest of the clubs around Spain and beyond. They also got a very dodgy bailout from the Madrid City Council for about €195 million which was investigated by the European Commission for alleged illegal state aid. Perhaps you should be more circumspect about who you want to lump your favourite club in with.

also, when you're trying to get off your doping charges, partially because you claim one of those judging you is an Arsenal fan, you're really trying to take the mick.

innocent until proven guilty though, obviously.

I (me, myself) put a list together of well respected teams. Most have won a European cup.

For some reason, you're making the assumption that I put together a list of European winning teams, but included Arsenal.

As the person who made the list, I did no such thing. Once again, I made a list of well respected teams.

City are not on that list, because they will not be respected as a team because they are guilty of financial doping and cheating.

And yes, I did think you were a city supporter due not only to your username, but to your defence of City.

• Advertisement
Advertisement