Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beyond The Pale Festival - 10th-12th June - Glendalough

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

A lot of the non music stuff was over in the woods area that wasn't well sign posted and enough of a trek away from the main stuff to be annoying. Not really well positioned to dip in and out of if you had a free 30 mins.

What I found annoying last year was the super cramped "food village" I'd much prefer if things were spread out. There was a lot of queuing chaos with everything on top of each other and with things so crowded the various vendors had problems communicating when they were out of stuff or not taking cards (always have back up cash at this sort of thing).

I'd have also liked to have seen some more places to sit. It was a muddy old place and one of the windiest camping areas I've been in. Saw a big tent that wasn't pegged in properly basically snap in the wind. Bring a mallet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 118 ✭✭jellybeano

It was a real back-to-basics festival last year. Throw a few punters, sound systems, tents and stages in a field and go for it. We were just out of Covid, first-ish festival of the season and everyone was very excited to be back in a field drinking cans and having a bop. Stellar line-up, no frills new festival. Perfect!

Definitely would like some more sitty down places, maybe a twinkly walk through the forest and the 360 stage wasn’t great for a couple of reasons.

Very happy to be going again this year. Deadly lineup and location too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,486 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Asked this previously but still none the wiser. Have they just scrapped the "posh camping" thing altogether? No sign of it on website. I assume that area will just be opened up to everyone this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Van Doozy

There's a 'glamping' section on the website. Is that not another way of saying posh camping?

https://www.itsbeyondthepale.ie/glamping

I think that's like Tipis and the like. Last year we paid for a "posh camping" area that was supposed to be much more spacious and had more facilities than the normal camping. It was actually a complete load of bollocks and didn't seem to offer any advantages to normal camping. I reckon they just scrapped it this year as it was nonsense.

They had an issue where they didn't have people on the entrance all the time to the "posh camping" lark so basically loads of people just wandered in and setup camp and then when they tried to stop people later they couldn't really because people had their tents and things setup. In the end there was a lot more people in there than the regular section by the looks of things. Also the water got cut off on the Saturday so showers and toilets and stuff stopped working (which was most of the appeal of the posh camping stuff). They offered some money off the early bird tickets for anyone who paid for the "posh camping" this year around but it is expired now.

One of the glamping providers (pitched perfect) is doing a "sale" now on some of the options which I've never seen before with some of the prices 25% less. Comparing to the other crew that are doing similar setups it seems like a genuine reduction.

Internal site looks similar with more food options spread out but a few changes outside. Different entrance to the arena and a different "arts" area nearer to the main arena so that is good. Looks like the car park from last year with that hill on the way in is where the Campervans are now. Seems like a new car park for everyone else with a shorter looking walk . Glamping doesn't appear to have their own showers and the toilets nearby seem to be shared with general. Old posh camping is now just Campsite B. Still seems to have more facilities than Campsite A but is further away from the Arena.

edit: oh Glamping in the key and Glamping in text are two different places (key says the hex area is the Glamping area which is left side of Campsite A but text has it is in the back of Campsite B) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I didn't know about the discount for posh campers and I paid for it last year, oh well. Campsite B it is then for me, it was a nice distance from the arena and not too rowdy. I reckon we'll be there at midday or so this year as opposed to 6pm last year so should get a decent spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Fanirish

Daily breakdowns

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Dreamweapon

The Skatalites appear to have replaced Just Mustard. Looking at that poster i would really struggle to fill my days with music. Friday being particularly poor.

Big on the all mouth and trousers scene

Couple new names in there I can spot. The Skatalites, Lumo Club and Noah weren't on the original poster. Might be a couple others... it has been annoying me they don't have a text line up published. Everything is images! So much for accessibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭crl84

Ah balls, was really looking forward to seeing Just Mustard.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Whipping Boy

Happy with that breakdown, hopefully won't be too many clashes...

The 'heavier' headliners not being on the Sunday should help with Monday's hangover/recovery also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

FYI for anyone hoping to go by bus, Marathon coaches still seem to be applying the 'earliest bird' discount price even though it was supposed to end on Monday, so buying a return ticket from Dublin to BTP cost €27 today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

I'm sorry, but this line-up is ****.

Only artist I know is Grace Jones.

Is this festival run by the former brass?

Grandbrothers are good have seen them a couple of times. Worth a look on Sat afternoon if you want to chill out and hear some nice piano.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭Fanirish

It’s run by guys who booked EP in what many consider the golden era 2004-2014 ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I came in to say the opposite, lineup is very impressive I think. Nice day by day breakdown and I can see at least 6 or 7 acts I'd happily go along to each day which is rarely the case with the Friday of most festivals! Keep putting off buying a ticket but I'm sure I'll be there.

Horses for courses I guess. I think it's a fantastic lineup, especially for a festival its size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭TenPicnics

Really? Never heard of Leftfield or Hot Chip or Candi Staton, to pick just 3? You've missed out.

Their twitter confirmed Just Mustard and Sprints are still playing even if they're not on the day by day poster.

https://twitter.com/BeyondThePaleIE/status/1659242808606064642

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭whomadewho

If you are a music fan, that lineup is pure quality. Familiar yourself to all the acts on spotify or youtube before you judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭RINO87

The strongest lineup of the summer for me personally, raging I'm not going, but looking forward to heading back to Ballinlough after missing a couple before covid.

Looking forward to hearing the reports on this one. Hope it goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

The space between /club beyond area, I assume that's the late night "rave in the woods" type stage, was that there last year?

The space between seems to the the yoga/ well-being type area, which looks like it’s in a different location to last year. Would be great if there was a lil rave in the woods, was lacking last year. Unless I missed it 🤪🤣 some of the tents kept going till 3.30 anyways 🎪🔊

https://www.itsbeyondthepale.ie/the-space-between

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,708 ✭✭✭dasdog

It's her 75th birthday today which is hard to believe. She has the energy and sharpness of someone 40 years younger. Diva of the highest degree though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭endainoz

I love the way this stuff is so freely available, it's like catnip for me 😂.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

Was thinking it was, plans are for 2k plus capacity and there's a DJ stage

• Advertisement

I'm the same - the detail on the best place to camp and the addition of the late night woods rave are very welcome.

I also thought it was capped at 5k attendance so the 10k mentioned makes much more sense!

This planning document was the first I've heard of the doubling in capacity. All the releases last year said it was 5k capacity. Also for some reason I find the text in the planning that it is for 25 - 50 year old people funny. Just seems so arbitrary that it won't appeal to younger or older. Other than what's been mentioned and the contact names and numbers for the organisers (so many chancers going to drop a name to try get in somewhere they can't) there isn't much else of interest in the planning.

In other news the Day by Day poster has been fixed to have Melts on Friday and Just Mustard and Sprints on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CorkScot

I dread to ask, but what was the traffic like last year on the Friday? Still carrying scars from ATN traffic a few years back.

Be leaving from Cork around 4pm Friday after a day's graft hungry for tunes and thirsty for ale! Guessing I'll hit a bit of traffic on way up, but would hope to be around Glendalough area about 7pm. Hoping to be in before Melts and Jockstrap get started...guessing they'll be in or around the earlier Friday night slots somewhere.

I think I arrived around 1730 last time and there was no traffic at all. None leaving early Monday morning either.

Intend to arrive by midday this year and actually eat some of the nice food and do some stuff I wouldn't be able to do hungover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭overpronator

Did they actually enforce the 24 can OR Bottle of Spirit rule last year? They have had similar at Body and Soul for years but it's never enforced there.

no, they didn't even look at our tickets just told us to go on through lol. just a bunch of uninterested northern irish youngfellas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭endainoz

It seems to be a rule of many festivals but the only one i have actually seen it enforced was at Indiependence in 2018, when I say enforced, I mean the checked a handful of people for how many cans they had and let everyone else off. It's generally not at issue, unless a person was taking the pi$$ altogether.

One rule I saw rigorously enforced at every festival I traded at last summer is the one where you can't bring in any alcohol once you have exchanged your ticket for a wristband.

Yeah, once you don't take p*ss you should be fine.

No glass and no re-entry with alcohol are the ones they're super strict on

• Advertisement

Whiplash doing the beer here in Merrion Square. 7.50 a pint so I'd say it'll be the same at the festival, 50c increase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭whelzer

Cant remember the festival, but recently enough EP. B&S, ATN? Young lad about 12 (maybe 17) starts counting every can out my icebox, the bollocking he got from the manager/supervisor was not nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭grudgehugger

With the day-by-day breakdown coming out nice and early, is it too much to be hoping for actual stage times the week of the June bank holiday? Anyone know/remember what they did last year?

I did the Clashfinder last year and the create date on it was the 4th for the festival when it was on the 10th

They also had the info on some generic festival app closer to the day. I'll have to go dig up what it was called.

Edit: App is called Woov and there is a place holder event for BTP 2023 there but no timetable yet.

3 weeks today... the excitement is building with this weather.

Who's top of everyone's list to see?

Couple of recommendations outside of the main headliners (everyone knows Hot Chip bring a party)

Tinlicker: Dutch electronic duo that I had never heard of before but really enjoying. Should be a cracker based on this set: https://youtu.be/F35xoJOxamg

Grandbrothers: Again, another find from this festival. Beautifully layered piano-led instrumentation with satisfying crescendos: https://youtu.be/BvNa8gKoIYA

Honourable mentions to the likes of Los Bitchos, Jape, Christian Loffler, For Those I Love, Dope Lemon...there really is huge depth to that undercard

• Registered Users Posts: 28 CorkScot

Skinner and Jockstrap from the undercard should be great. Very different sounds right enough!

Hoping Jon Hopkins brings his big tunes for the Friday night. Like his ambient stuff, but his Singularity album is a banger!

• Advertisement

I saw Skinner supporting someone (Bambara?) in The Academy 2 last year. Not bad. Very much American slacker indie fare (in musical style, i know he's Irish).

Post edited by Dreamweapon on

Jaysis yeah, Jon Hopkins is definitely right up there! I'd be 95% sure it will be the usual festival set with all the classics thrown in

Not much mention of Leftfield in the thread? I saw them last at Witnness 2000 (showing my age now heh). 

Well they're my must see for the weekend anyway. If for no other reason than nostalgia, though my (hazy) recollection is a fantastic show.

Anyone seen them recently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,658 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Seen them at RockNess festival in Scotland 2010, Jim King the promoter managed to talk them out of retirement after 9 years, RockNess was their first reappearance I also caught them same year again at Electric Picnic and then at Body & Soul festival in 2015. All excellent gigs.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Leftfield would be the biggest draw for me on that lineup. I think the most recent appearance was Vicar St. 2018? Decent enough but have seen them much better. Loved their sets at EP and B&S. The Point 1996 will never be topped but that's ok, that was a magical night. They are still worth your time and attention though, and not just for nostalgia sakes.

I have just seen they're playing Belfast Mandela Hall on June 16th.

• Advertisement
Advertisement