Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rough ground . How to level

Options
  • 16-05-2023 10:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭

Have a lot of Rough ground due to land being poor and animals damaging iit due to it being soft.

What is the best way to level? Worth investing in a harrow or would a transport box do?

I see ones harrows and land levellers on donedeal but not sure if they are too light

Or should I just pull a piece of rsj after me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Chain Harrow (one on the frame) would be a better bet. Don’t let it get too dry though

• Registered Users Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would a mulcher sort it out for you?

Is it badly poached or worse than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭Base price

We use a heavy duty land leveller for any ground or areas that were poached. I think it's 12' and a couple of passes both ways does a great job. We draw it on a Fiat 880/5DT.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭older by the day

Ya borrow a land leveller. I find the chain Harrow in the frames are too light for any serious holes. A bit of grass seed in the fert spreader. A rub of the roller and you have your field reseeded for the decade

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭hopeso

A power box with the lip on the front is a good job too. You can even put something into it for a bit of weight, if you think you need it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Does no one use a roller anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Throw up a photo. I got some land mulched last year. The mulcher put all the rushes etc into fine char but it also was able to batter down the humoured in the ground. The roller on back of it smoothed it out. Good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭Suckler

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭irishguy19772

Here are some pics from the land

• Advertisement

It did a good job - the roller on back evened it out too - is peat soil so easily enough put back into shape by the roller. It gets it into a shape where you can work with it. Spray the regrowth and you can keep on top of it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Agree with Base Price, a leveller would do a good job. A couple of runs. You could then over seed and roll if you wanted to.

I'd look at getting those rushes mulched out of the way. Leveler could ride on the rushes in places and I'm not sure about overseeding it either.

If you get it mulched it will feed the ground and allow you to get on top of it. Mowing them down is no good, you need to get them mulched down into chaff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,807 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mulching must be very heavy on diesel. You're not just cutting the rushes but chopping them up too.

I have a heavy duty 8 foot chain Harrow here. Ideal time to use is after some rain after a dry week or so. Only top is wet then.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭PoorFarmer

Had some mulched for me last year. Lad driving reckoned about 30l/hr for diesel on a 3m mulcher. Good job on light rushes but if you get into thick heavy crop it will cost you. Mowed a few fields 2 years ago and raked them all up when they were dry and got the mulcher to run through the dried rows for me. Beats the $hit out of baling them up.

Depends, if you have the rear door open it's not as bad on diesel.

If you just cut the rushes you need to lift them whereas mulching them feeds the ground. So overall I'd say there isn't much in it in terms of diesel usage, but I think mulching is a better job, real if you can keep the door closed to mulch it up fine.

I don't think the harrow would have enough weight and would only ride on the rushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭endainoz

Could try to shred them with a major cyclone or a quad x, it may take a couple of runs, but will probably be a lot cheaper than a heavy duty mucher.

Advertisement