Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving out of Dublin, having lived in Dalkey, An Irish Times article!

Options
  • 15-03-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭RoTelly

So I don't mean to pick on this poor, poor woman and her family, but you may have heard the story, she was on The Tonight Show last night.

I notice a lot of these types of articles, not just about Dublin but about life in general, LinkedIN is a dirge of such waffle. (I am earning 150,000, my partner is on 150,000 and we can't afford childcare, and only have 30 days holiday, you can here them saying "Like OMG my work life balance, STRESSED!").

Have we come to the stage that we cannot responsibility for our own decisions? Look if you choose to rent in the most expensive part of Dublin, guess what, your not going to be able to save, you've made that choice, much like deciding not buying a Coffee and a slice Cake for €16 from the local barista!

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,634 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Do you have a link by any chance?

https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/show/1294

This?

Don't see her (June) saying her and her partner earn 150k each, or that they were living in Dalkey?

She did mention that they spent a lot on IVF 8 years ago (At least)

She is renting a very long time however which is unusual.

Poor oul George Hook is getting on so he is

Post edited by Beta Ray Bill on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Just to say the 150,000 was more about some people I have seen on LINKEDIN mainly Americans. And general this idea that they are really finding it hard.

https://www.irishtimes.com/health/your-family/2023/03/13/dear-dublin-its-not-me-its-you-and-thats-why-im-leaving/

From a tweet someone sent to her AFAIK she lives in Dalkey. According to the IT article it was 21k, but that was 8 years ago. I'd estimate she an her & husband are on around 80k - 100k before tax.

Plenty of people with kids managed to buy a home over that period, I know a couple who did the IVF think around the same time, I know others who had children before buying a house and managed it. I am not saying it is easy. But I just think I'd need to know more about her circumstance and others and I feel they are over playing the violins.

But happy to be proven wrong. (I understand Dublin is expensive to buy in).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Hook needs to get back on the air with his own show

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

I never thought I'd say this, but I thought Hook was a breath of fresh air last night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

I think a sizeable part of the country has held onto the 'you must only live and work in Dublin' belief as though its still 1980 when there was a much stronger case for that being true.

This same sort of belief has another couple of layers which are 'must only live and work inside the m50' and 'must only live south side'. Some people cling to all 3 as though anything else is some kind of tragic circumstance. Or even a physical impossibility.

Maybe she was one of those.

What? You mean Blanchardstown is real?! But its outside the m50 barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,484 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Far too much dominance of media/journalists/creative/IT/ gig economy types referenced in the media or the subject of articles when this issue is discussed. They all seem to have to live in Dublin for some reason and at that only certain parts of the city.

The thing is a couple consisting of a Tesco manager and a lower-grade civil servant buying a house in Cloncilla after moving in with their parents for two years to save the deposit would be too pedestrian and ordinary to make headlines.

Post edited by mariaalice on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,652 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nail on the head there, I know of a couple who just have to live on the southside and they just have to live within walking distance of Dundrum Shopping Centre as if their lives depended on it. And yet then they complain they cant save for a deposit because they are paying over 36k a year in rent. You see this a bit with renters in wealthier areas, some of them have notions that their salary cant meet and they end up spending more than half their income on rent because they refuse to consider living anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Why would you rent in Dalkey, when you could take said rent and get a mortgage and buy a nice place in a nice area, Clontarf, Santry or Artane… that’s yours.

Again we now have a 78 year old woman and her husband from Clonskeagh in the news.

Southside Dublin. Came back to Ireland in 2011, told her rental was going in six months, has she looked outside the area she is in, or outside Dublin?

She says she and her husband are just on the state pension outside of this no questions asked

1. Do you have any savings?
    2. Do you need to live in Dublin?
    3. Have you looked outside of Dublin for rental properties that would suit?
    4. You raised your family and they seem well connect could they not set up a granny flat or have discussed this with you over the last six months?
    5. Why did you choose Clonskeagh in 2011? What rent where you paying?

Are these people just pushing a narrative?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The "poor me, I can't afford to buy a dream home in an expensive post code" articles are annoying AF. I'm 8 years younger than her, had two kids and a wife to support and was able to buy 6 years ago on a single salary in North County Dublin (not sure I'd manage it now tbf, even with Mrs Sleepy back in the workforce). It's not Dublin, it's very much her and her partners choices that still have them renting in their 50s.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

It was all over the radio but she was informed by the landlord last June so WTF was she at for the last 11 months?

She has family to go to but won't do that because she says she won't get on the housing list and fears going to a hostel because she "has never been in one"

Lets be honest here there is no way she will ever be going to a hostel, now Anne Rabbitte was on Drivetime saying she will personally get in contact with her.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Honestly though it seems cruel to bleed people dry on that level of rent, sell it off like.

A landlord is a dole scrounger with more capital. Both do no labor, and expect payment on time.

Until anything changes though the landlord is totally in their free market rights to do it, and caveat emptor to the people like the above to broadcast how to hook them.

• For goodness sake let up here. I’m a landlord of a modest property, don’t charge market rent, have really super long term tenants btw, buy I’ve developed a serious progressive disability which soon enough will need the capital if I’m not to go into an institution for the disabled. I need the capital to fund me to a wheelchair friendly environment. However I’m duly giving very long notice, to be fair in this environment. I think I’m being extremely reasonable, and actually to date my tenants have been 100% everything you could wish for so it’s with genuine reluctance I issue notice, but I do expect them to make some provision over time. I know eg, they could work in other locations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

If you’re not living ‘between the canals’ you must be some sort of uneducated, clod hopping yokel. I mean the shame, jewnowassimean?

I heard this woman interviewed on Claire Byrne.

Her son in law is some sort of political correspondent and he took part in the interview.

I do feel sorry fir her. She is also caring for her husband who had a stroke. But so many questions unanswered. She said no one in the family has even a couch to give them.

Apparently some politicians have been in contact privately with the family so this woman will be sorted. But if that was my mother I would move heaven and earth befirw I let her go public with a begging bowl. Very humiliating for this lady.

She

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Begging bowl my eye.

She wants to be on the housing list for Dun Laoghaire Rathdown

She is clearly not poor and has family to go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

A landlord is a dole scrounger with more capital. Both do no labor, and expect payment on time.

Haha.

Clearly, you were never a landlord.

Definitely feels like in the past hour you’ve simply gone out of your way to look for threads I’ve posted in recently to try and have a go. And all to take personal digs rather than discuss topics in good faith.

It's a narrative alright, but still there are systemic housing issues underlying this.

I saw the interview itself and it was a dream for TV.

She was very well-spoken and polite and was very careful about what information she let out. A perfect story in a way.*

However, the question is, people will move heaven and earth to get her a place to stay because of her age, yet what about the other 12,000 or so homeless and 4,000 of those who are children?

To my mind we have one set of rules for the old, and if you are under 45, though luck paddy, as these people are too busy working to vote or kick up a stink about anything much.

There is a massive inter-generational divide in power and ability to affect change in Ireland.

*I do agree that she needs to be looked after by the way.

Answer the question. Have you ever been a landlord?

Obviously no, as if you were, you wouldn't have made some baseless ignorant remark.

• Advertisement

While blaming landlords is the go to for many on this site I think the issue we are facing here is tenants living beyond their means and not being flexible when looking for accommodation. Their search areas appear to be desirable areas with limited availability they need to start looking at areas that suit their budget. There are so many now that are banking on the state supplying housing.

youre only making the post you’ve quoted me in more valid with this Argumentum ad hominem.

You don't answer the question. Which says it all.

For someone giving out about ad-hominem's your the one that calls landlords dole scroungers.

Which landlord was I trying to discredit the argument of? What landlord was I responding to which held a position on the issue? You accused me of engaging in ad hominem, who was I engaging in ad hominem of?

You'd want to have a grasp on what the fallacy is before accusing others of the fallacy.

I suppose my point is not about the housing crises or the need for reform etc but it about the people that they are bringing to the table to tell their story: -

1. A married woman in her 50s who choose to rent in Dalkey before moving to a good job in Limerick, I suggest she and her husband were earning between €80k to €100k and have 1 child
    2. A single woman in her 30s living in Arklow earning €51k.
    3. A older married woman, who's husband suffered a stroke, who has since lost her part time job, and is on the state pension

I have a certain amount of sympathy for number 3... but there are questions.. why did she return to Ireland ... what saving does she have ... does she really only have the state pension? and so on)

You'd never see a young couple bring in 30k with 3 children on these shows.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,302 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

In fairness, on the southside the nicer homes are outside the canals!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭pcardin

It sounds like you are absolutely out of touch when it comes to knowledge of in what sh1t state rental market is in Ireland right now. I mean, how flexible should one be when looking for accommodation? Nowadays common sight on Daft is 9 properties available for rent for whole county where 5-6 years ago you could probably find 9 on the same street/suburb. A lot of people earn no more than 3k per month (many even below that). Do you know how many available rental properties (2 beds and more) are available on Daft right now for up to 1500e/m in Ireland? 206! In whole Ireland. Majority in Donegal, Sligo, and Mayo. According to some posters here, spending half of their salary on rent is reckless and stupid. Lets reduce to 1000e/m so. That leaves with 62 properties for the whole country. So what you recon would suit their budget? Spain, Greece, Italy?

The examples that are pushed are bad examples. And are not full examples.

I think if you are retired and if you have only recently moved back to Ireland in the last decade or so you are able to relocate once more to a smaller town with facilities.

I think if you are a couple you probably can move to a less expensive area of Dublin and still save some money (but you prob should have done that 7 years ago, you made your choices, it's not Dublin it's you!).

I think if you are living in a country twon are relatively well paid, relatively still young and you possibly can afford to move or live close by or share. You can probable earn extra cash during your holiday also.

Give better examples of the problems that exist.

______

Yesterday

I think you are either ignorant, blind, or out of touch with current situation in the country if yourself believe in what you just wrote above.

• Advertisement

...or say 'feck it', pack your bags and leave Ireland.

Advertisement