Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Navan- disgusting homophobic attack on schoolboy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

You have no idea that teeth don't grow back? 😕

Do you really need a dentist to tell you several broken teeth is not a minor issue that can be nursed back into your mouth?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,306 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

And the 'hero' wouldn't last ten seconds if he had to fight someone that could defend themselves, like most scrotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Maybe I have missed something in my old age but when has it got so violent. Yes Kids/teenagers have fights been a fair few of them myself when I was younger but never anything like this. I never remember lads kicking other lads in the heads, yeah they threw digs and punches but that was it, but now it seems they are dancing on fellas heads, do these people not think that they could kill someone?

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Liath Luachra

Cant get the image where the young lad is attempting to crawl away and they go back in for more kicks and punches out of my head. The biggest deterrent will be if their own peers and community utterly condemn their actions. The lad recording and encouraging is as culpable as those attacking - interestingly, he changes his tune very quickly when the smallest one of the lot begins to attempt to stop and push the attackers away. That teenager with the backpack who pushes several much bigger ones away seemed to be the only one who had any decency and I imagine it would have been much worse outcome if he hadn't had the courage to stop it. He should be commended for his actions. We need to stop calling this a "fight" - this was a premeditated attack where the pack mentality of a group of scrotes is at its worst.

Four broken teeth means lengthy and costly dental work - only exacerbating the trauma. To break four teeth requires some blow - not surprised he had concussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

The kicking in the head is more recent thing that's crept into society,it's not about giving someone a slap it's about knocking them out and doing maximum damage if not with your fists then your feet ,

We've become less caring as a society too and in most cases a cowardly society rather than stepping in and trying to stop something like this happening we put our heads down and keep walking for fear of getting jumped on too,

I've kid's and I've done my fair share of fighting over the years, but I put my safety over another due to the fact I know this generation has no issues with 3,4,5 teenagers dancing on someone's skull before walking away laughing, while you become a statistic and who raises and your kids.

Gas thing twitter and violent video games was getting the blame this morning,no discussion about how to actually stop these mindless attacks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It was implied by not calling out the assault.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭bureau2009

When posting here some people manage to say more about themselves than anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

Grew up in the 80's 90's and every week outside school and at weekends outside pubs/clubs there was incidents every bit as bad as this in the south midlands and very rarely was there ever any negative outcome for the scum involved. In fact most of the scum are well regarded and popular figures in their scumhole towns. Ireland and bullying go together like ebony and ivory. It stems from bitterness, anger and learning these things from family and society at large. Navan is a Traveller town too and I'll bet those cowards would be straight onto the Gardaí if the real men with balls turned up at their doors looking for a fight.

Nothing will happen over this either. Gardaí are only involved because it went viral, a few juvenile cautions and that'll be the end of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What are you on about?

This wasn't a few digs ffs. It was a violent assault.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,457 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Having a process in place is fine. One should have oversight and a right to appeal. But I guess ultimately, someone has to say 'Tough luck, you are out of here'. I guess in a lot of cases, the Education Welfare Office will say, NO to the expulsion, thus the schools have to take them back.

However, I cannot for the life of me see why a student with a history of violence gets more rights than other students or teachers. I know there are competing rights here, but the rights of the many to an education should trump someone's right to an education.

That person could always go to another school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Further - where did I mention 'beating up' any "kids" or even 'beating up' these lowlife?

Nowhere, - because I didn't.

That's even creepier, You gonna steal their washing or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Hoop66

"Further - where did I mention 'beating up' any "kids" or even 'beating up' these lowlife?"

And in the line above that we find: "Most of us have the physical tools one would need to exact severe retribution for an attack like this on a lone child."

A lot of anger there, directed at children.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,771 ✭✭✭hynesie08

I thought the grownups were analyzing videos frame by frame and figuring out the best way to " exact severe retribution for an attack like this on a lone child."

Keep having a normal one there buddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Packrat

Actually, not really, it's not my child nor do I know them, so no, I've no particular anger against them or any other "child"

I do think that they are scum though.

However if it was my child, - yes, anger wouldn't even cover it.

They cease to be children in my opinion when they are kicking some lads head like that or sucker punching him in gangs.

Yes I know the law wouldn't see it that way, hence my comment that one who did take direct action against them would likely be jailed.

All clear now?

“The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command”

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭chooey

Absolute rubbish. They were kicking him in the head! How are people saying that this was only a couple of digs? Do people who are saying this is nothing have kids and if you do would you like to see this happening to your child?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭BalcombeSt4

Absolute scum of the Earth. The only thing worse than bullies are racist bullies.

I'd much prefer innocent refugees fleeing from war-zones in Syria, Yemen, Iraq & Ukraine living in Ireland rather than these fascist pieces of sh!t.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭francois

I'd a bike accident at 13, smashed up the font of my mouth, trust me, it took years for the teeth to be fixed

Ah now, don't do them a disservice by underestimating them, a homophobic bully is just as bad as a racist bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Long Sean Silver

any blow to the head can lead to a bleed on the brain. this may not show up straightaway, but hours or even days later.

• Advertisement

I've not seen the video. But, if they were full on kicks to the head with shoes/boots they can kill, so concussion is very likely and, as you say, a bleed to the brain is possible and could be devastating. Either way the young chap is going to be emotionally traumatised at minimum.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I grew up in the '70s and 80s and it was deffo a thing back then anyway and hearing/reading about The Animal gang in the' 30s it was back then too. Never mind going further back to the 19th century and the brutal slash hook fights between the different Guilds.

It's 23 years since 18 year old Brian Murphy had the life kicked, out of him outside Annabels.

I personally think this stuff happens less these days.

I'm 53 BTW so a prime age of gammon to go... "not in my day!". But alas I think it was way worse.

Post edited by humberklog on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

You lived in a nicer area probably. I dunno.

There's a very violent streak in Irish and British society.

They say back in the middle ages that the murder rate was way higher .

• Registered Users Posts: 86,252 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Those scum thugs parents if any decency should march them to the local Garda station

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

Children need to be protected to the same degree, or more so, than adults.

Justice needs to be done.

Our society needs to say no to accepting violence against children. Even by other children.

No excuses.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,007 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I don't think you can compare this with the tragic case of Brian Murphy which was a savage attack at 3 o'clock in the morning after a nightclub, doesn't make his death any less tragic. But drink fuelled violence is certainly not new or surprising.

The victim in this is 14, it happened at 2.30pm in a residential green on a Monday and according to his family he was attacked because he was different.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I was quoting that poster as they'd said that kicking in the head wasn't a thing in their day. Well it was in mine and I used Murphy s death to point out that was 23 years ago too.

That's all, it's just my experience of kicking in the head not being a new thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

I saw the video too and it was every bit as shocking as others are reporting.

I'm also Pro protecting the identity of the victim, but... removing the video also protects the perpetrators of this cowardly act, unfortunately.

If someone told me on Monday that a gang of teenagers gave a lad a few tumps, I probably would have thought little of it to be honest. The video, however, brings home the aggressive and savage nature of the premeditated attack.

It makes me think that in a strange way, we need these visuals to really appreciate the horror that occurred in Navan.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,509 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I'm also Pro protecting the identity of the victim, but... removing the video also protects the perpetrators of this cowardly act, unfortunately.

Which is normal. The only unmasked juvenile names seem to be for murders and even that is not consistent.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement