Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Time for a zero refugee policy? - *Read OP for mod warnings and threadbans - updated 11/5/24*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

With the exception of Ukraine, I expect doctors and nurses could apply for a work visa? I think you might be disappointed if you're expecting a deluge of doctors and nurses from the asylum seekers.

This is not to denigrate asylum seekers but just to point out I do not think your assertion is correct.

Post edited by grumpyperson on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭MegamanBoo

I didn't even see that until now, but once I saw the rest of your posts I saw I had misjudged you.

I apologised earlier in the thread and am happy to do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭grumpyperson

No worries. I posted before I saw your retraction, sorry about that🤗

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I never said anything about a deluge. I said any were welcome as they are. They can apply to work once here six months on asylum.

But its not just healthcare.

They are working in schools and many other jobs.

They only get a tiny stipend as provision, not dole so the incentive is there to work unlike the sssertion made by posters that people were here for benefits or the money.

By your own post.. They listened, but they didn't agree. With the protestors I mean.

Do those protestors speak for everybody in the area?

There is a difference between listening and engaging and doing what certain people want over others.

Maybe middle ground somewhere.

Ok. Do you think people in Clare should not be asked to take on refugees but people in Portobello should?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,114 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Whoever I responded to said the people we have emigrating are highly skilled, I refuted that. And there probably are 1000s arriving every year in Australia, certainly in the UK, just most of them don't stay there forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

I can guarantee the protesters in Clare need very very little to stop the blockade. The government don’t want to give anything though as that would set a precedent. This is the government who have literally been dumping refugees on the street, but only some nationalities, now that is real racism. If the government agreed to provide the refugees in Clare with basic services then blockade over, but the suspicion that they are just being dumped with very little supports is a legitimate concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,532 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Well thats kind of the problem, nobody asked them at all they were just bussed in to the place.

The government has form on this and up to now thought they could get away with it.

Same thing happened last year here where I live but it was Ukrainian women and kids so none of us said anything but if it was unvetted men they put here we would feel the same as the folks in Clare.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,023 ✭✭✭squonk

People in Clare have taken in a lot of refugees to date. Lisdoonvarna is a small town with several hotels which are all full with refugees. My point if you didn’t get it is if get a large influx into a relatively small area with a small population and a similar level of local services is not the same as a district in a very large city. And, no, nobody in Lisdoonvarna was explicitly asked. It just emerged that tge refugees were coming. Now those refugees are holed up in a small one horse town with nothing going on. Getting to anywhere of interest requires a bus journey and there aren’t many of those daily. A situation like this is only exacerbated in a place like Inch which has less going on even. I’d venture that the bus service in Lisdoonvarna is better than inch, if it even has a bus service. Do you get that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭WheelieKing

Funny how none of these refugee centres are earmarked or put in well off Dublin locations (Foxrock/Goatstown/Malahide etc..) and only pop up in rural or working class areas. Surely everyone has to play their part right?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,131 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

hymenelectra threadbanned

If I sent that guy to the shop for potatoes he’d come back with apples. Funding, yeah, great but I don’t see how that immediately helps tge people in the Inch community given tge issue there is the immediate facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Was there not lots of objections to travellers getting houses and halting sites etc., by even TDs but now no one can object protest etc.,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Yes based on what I suggested, new builds would increase because cash rich property owners would be selling their existing properties in order to buy new builds. Existing houses (of which there are many) would fall in price because the owners of those properties would be selling to people who are just starting out in life and it is those buyers who would determine the market price for those properties. The prices would keep falling until the buyers can afford them.

It is a mistake on several levels to say the state should build houses. For one thing, it was the state that caused the housing crisis by inflating existing housing stock and rendering new builds unviable. My suggestion would make new builds highly viable and deflate the cost of existing houses. If the state were to build houses, they would hire private companies to do it. And, of course whenever the state does anything, there are opportunities for corrupt politicians and civil servants to make a buck for themselves and that feeds back to the taxpayer or forward to the end user in the form of mouldy ceilings, fire hazards, hypothermia in the winter and so on.

Also, the state really only want to house the masses and they want to do it cheap. Suppose you don`t want to live in a cheap house the state built. Suppose you want to be able to afford a nice house in a nice area of your choice? Suppose you want to be able to afford a house with a bit of history and character? My suggestion would make that possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Honesty Policy

Another 120 refugees going to Ballisodare in Sligo. I'm sure that accommodation isn't already needed there!!!

Got a message from a friend earlier. Their rent is being increased by €400 per month to €1200. A young family! House is not in a RPZ so landlord can do what they want! Every town and village in the country is a RPZ if you ask me.

It's all a vicious circle and this country is going to the dogs.

I get that. So is it more buses or what people are looking for ?

Maybe you could explain what it is that locals want ?

All refugees are checked out for criminal records prior replacement btw galwayguy , but it's not the same in depth vetting thatyou or I would go through before taking up a job with vulnerable people obviously

However it's more than some of those protesting , in Dublin anyway, have had , the necks on some of them !

Why are you looking at this in terms of short fix solutions? There aren’t any. It boils down to bussing a load of foreign nationals into an area with low facilities and low services won’t work. People feel sorry for the refugees stuck in Lisdoonvarna. Dumping people in the middle of nowhere solves the governments problem by being able to say they’ve housed that batch. For the refugees it’s pretty bad. You have absolutely nothing to do and all day to do it. Yes better transport infrastructure might help but that takes ages to sort out. Better local facilities like libraries and schools, GP clinics, other support services again won’t show up by next Monday morning. I don’t know the locals in Inch but I suspect this is what they’re talking about. I suspect there’s no plan in place once those people get dropped off at the hotel but it’s job done and their immediate needs are being met which is grand but by the June Bank Holiday they’ll be sick of the place and their access to services won’t be that great. What’s your answer to a problem like this?

Right. So basically according to you the protesters are racist and should welcome any number into their community with open arms even if it means a huge drop in services for everyone? I don’t know where you are based but I sense the effect isn’t as accute where you are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,350 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I wonder will the locals protesting in Inch back down? Govt is digging in since if they give an inch (pardon the pun) it's game over for this whole affair.

That said a reckoning for the policy has to be coming - there are only so many people you can fit in hotels without collapsing the tourism industry completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭dmakc

Two things the government have been terrible at: 1) housing & 2) public transport in rural areas. Now they're dependent on public transport in rural areas to facilitate 'temporary' housing of refugees

I hope they keep going but I can see the government using the Gardai to get a few arrests and hope they can dispel the protests that way. I think they’re buying off the tourist industry right now with the 9% VAT rate and other local initiatives. The day must be coming where the arse falls out of it all though. I’m hoping it won’t take an injury or worse to make them realise it’s time to rethink all this.

Wow some leap there !

Dublin, 2 centres nearby and many more living around us . Same services stretched as always . Don't talk crvp trying to bait me .

Give your head a wobble there and be honest . If you agree with blockades and heavy handed protests over meeting and discussing things with your democratically elected reps then you are on the wrong side of this . If you genuinely worry for these refugees you would not agree with intimidation or harassment .

Calm down. The issue here is that the government want to steamroll any and all opposition. I’ve a feeling the protestors in inch would gladly engage with elected representatives and did with the local ones. The minister is tge one who pushed back. Now they’ve sent the junior minister out which is a step in the right direction. I’m still going to reiterate that Dublin I’d vastly different to a small rural area. I agree services are stretched everywhere but if you asked me would I prefer to be a refugee in a small rural town with poor services or one in an area of a large city with stretched services, I’d take the city any day. The options are far better, quality of life would be better.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Gardai won’t arrest anyone there. These are local people protesting against a decision that makes no sense.

Ironically if the owner of Magowna could have continued to make a living from it as a thriving rural pub that it once was, there wouldn’t have been any need for it to have to be used as a centre for accommodation. Maybe locals are sick of several government decisions.

I engaged, you went for me , so I responded .😉 But fair enough . I do think they need to communicate better.. if nothing else then, this might improve now .

Not happy with protests after personal experience of the thugs threatening and shouting all sorts, stirring locals up . The lies they told ...leaflets with complete bollxxx and some people were really scared and panicked.

None of it came to pass . The disruption for that time has died down and nobody wants to even think about it now .

The refugees are integrating with schools and some working , but yes there is bound to be an effect on essential services . There is a limit everywhere to capacity in services , not just in rural areas .

Also they have to try to integrate people all over the country .

Ghettoisation of refugees in cities and large towns is not fair to urban dwellers nor refugees.

I think it might be better to locate families/ older people in rural areas rather than young men but they are desperate to place people .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

The people of Sligo need to get their act together and block this nonsense. Otherwise this will never stop.

Its 115 men again.

Translation:

Young lads seeking a bit of craic and working the system so they get free bed and board.

• Advertisement

Fair point and tge refugees already here are making positive contributions and integrating in the area which is what everyone wants.

The locals in Inch don’t sound like they’re being influenced (yet) by those troublemakers who always show up to these kind of things. I believe what I e heard though when they say the facility isn’t suitable. It’s not my area so they obviously know it better.

The patronising tone from the government is very unwelcome. It’s stopping just shy of intimating that they are racially motivated and that is the real crime here. Having to be dragged kicking and screaming to even engage with local residents isn’t a good look. What’s more they’re not helping their cause in the longer term. In the end refugees get lobbed in the middle of nowhere with no natural engagement with the local community and just far enough away from major population centres to make getting there impractical unless you can get a taxi and that’s not cheap nowadays.

Advertisement