Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2022-23 UEFA Champions League

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,640 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

But you have Real Madrid and Milan on your list? That doesn’t compute mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,212 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But those 2 clubs didn't win all their EC/CL by cheating.

If you think they did, them you are claiming they have been cheating since the 1950s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭Flaneur OBrien

Yes, Real Madrid and Milan have had many well respected teams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

City are not on that list, because they will not be respected as a team because they are guilty of financial doping and cheating.

By the definition of financial doping aren't a lot of top European teams doing this and not just City?

the situation in which a sports franchise borrows heavily in order to contract and pay high-performing players, jeopardizing their long-term financial future.

Stolen from Google.

The Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) First Chamber, chaired by Sunil Gulati, announced that eight clubs - AC Milan (ITA), AS Monaco (FRA), AS Roma (ITA), Beşiktaş JK (TUR), FC Internazionale Milano (ITA), Juventus (ITA), Olympique de Marseille (FRA) and Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) - did not comply with the break-even requirement.

Doesn't make it right of course but I'm not sure if many of the top teams are in a position to moral grandstand on the issue

Right. I get why opposing fans don’t like City and their owners.

I think the comments about Pep though are a little childish. I think he is a diligent hardworking manager.

See Grealish or Stones for example. Two English players they needed for the homegrown quota. Grealish was a 100million quid liability he almost single handedly cost City the CL last season when he came on as a sub late on and gave the ball away to Real Madrid on the edge of the box. Took him a good 12 months but Pep has turned him into a useful cog in the wheel for City. Same with Stones, took a bit longer with him.

Yes they were expensive raw material but so was Wan Bissaka and Maguire at Man United for example. If they had signed for Pep he probably would’ve turned them into something useful after a year or two as well.

Look at Chelsea they’ve spent more in the last two windows than everyone else across Europe put together. They’re a clown car operation.

Pep knows what he’s at and he does put hard graft into turning those deeply flawed players into solid worker bees for his machine. The quality comes from DeBruyne Haaland Gundogan and Bernardo Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,159 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

I don't think any one could deny that Pep is brilliant at what he does, the issue is that he has consistently played with loaded dice. At Barca he had the GOAT player and GOAT club team at his disposal. At Munich they were and continue to be the most dominant team in Germany. At City he has had innumerable amounts of money to spend and can literally keep buying players for tens of millions until they fit, there is no pressure on him to stick within financial constraints. For my money he's not at the same level as the likes of Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Infoseeker1975

City are a fantastic football team with a fantastic manager.

The issue is they were taken over by a State who spent an incredible amount beyond what their revenue allowed, i.e. they financially cheated on a ridiculous level. The relevant authorities never dealt with the issue and UAE basically can stop anything from happening.

I don't think City will be charged with anything, I think any decision will be years away.

I see all of City's trophies similar to Lance Armstrong; the argument that they are now self sufficient is completely irrelevant as the foundation came from a massive scale of fraud.

The bigger issue is that it will determine the landscape of football; for me Newcastle will now follow on and then whoever Qatar buy, perhaps Coventry City. If they deal with it, then this will not happen.

I don't see any appetite from the PL to deal with it and in the next 10 years it is very possible that States will own multiple teams in the PL.

Very likely that a European league will follow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

That's a really odd take on Grealish... he wasn't just some random english fella they brought in to meet a quota, he's a bloody brilliant player most teams would absolutely love to have, but most teams couldn't afford. He's definitely more of a wild card player than Pep usually goes for, so fair play to Pep for making him a bit more of a system player (though I think you're over-egging how big a transformation that is - getting a gifted player used to a new system over the course of a year isn't exactly miraculous stuff...). "My very expensive, brilliantly talented footballer isn't instantly better than all my other very expensive brilliantly talented footballers" is quite a 'first world problem' sort of thing 😅. And sure isn't it lovely for them that they had all these other brilliant players to win the league while getting their new lad acclimated.

Also, he was really bloody good in that Madrid game when he came on in - wasn't at fault for any of the three goals they conceded, and almost put the game to bed twice - once with a brilliant run and square ball that got cleared off the line by some incredible defending a hair before it was poked in, and then again after another great bit of skill to get a shot away that Courtois did incredibly well to get half a toe on to push just barely wide. That game was definitely not an example of him being a problem.

(when you say he nearly single handedly put them out, I think you're just mistaken or confused or something - he didn't give the ball away for any of those 3 goals. The first, Madrid had the ball for many phases before they scored <including throws etc>, for the second it's Cancelo who gives it away playing a ball up the line to no-one, and for the pen it's Fodan who initially gives it away and of course Dias who gives away the pen. Like, sure, Grealish's general defensive closing down could probably be better, but he didn't give away the ball for any of those.)

• Advertisement

He was chiefly at fault for how Real got back into the tie. The game turned when he came on and was weak in his defensive work.

He has worked hard to get a place in the team. If he got injured or lost form though he’d be easily enough replaced by Foden or Mahrez. Foden got injured and lost form earlier in the season and that’s how Grealish got in. He’s worked hard and kept his place since then. I still think Foden is a better player and maybe he’ll get back in as first pick next season.

You're gonna be have to be more specific than that... i'll be honest with ya, i just went and watched the last 10 minutes (a bloody great 10 mins of football!), and i've no idea what you're talking about.

In the 86th minute, he almost gets a 2nd for City. A minute later he again almost closes it out. Both brilliant bits of play, only stopped through brilliant bits of last ditch defending by Madrid. He next gets the ball under pressure at the touchline and concedes a throw-in up by the halfway line. And that's it. He doesn't get the ball again before the end of normal time when Madrid are then 2-1 up. There's a moment where Bernardo Silva gives away the ball in the middle of the park that's far far worse - he's number 20 so maybe you misread that as 10 or something instead? Cause honestly I've no idea what you're talking about, I'm just not seeing this big dramatic game changing unforced error.

Honestly, rewatching it now, Grealish looks the only City player who might actually make something happen.

Didn’t something similar happen with Chelsea when Abramovic took over. I don’t know if they had any FFP rules back then. He came along spent millions of his ill gotten gains from the break up of the old Soviet Union and after 15 or 20 years they eventually became self sufficient. He’s gone since Putin invaded Ukraine and they’ve been took over by another shower of shysters.

I don’t know how you can come to the conclusion that Pep is not at the same level as Klopp. You’re probably biased towards Liverpool. Yes Pep’s always been at clubs where he’s has lots of money to spend but there’s loads of examples of clubs that have spent huge money but success has not followed.

Their point seems fairly clear (and they're a Utd fan, so i doubt there's a Liverpool bias there 😅). Pep has only had success with money. Others have had success with less money. Therefore maybe some people will see those other successes as carrying a slightly higher weight. No-one is saying Pep is bad, he's obviously an incredibly talented manager. Maybe Pep could also succeed with lesser resources, but he's never done it so we can't say.

The fact some other clubs have spent huge money without succeeding is also moot to the comparison being made - it's already accepted that Pep has done impressive things.

If you’re actually watching it and you can’t see Grealish’ part in turning the tie in Real’s favour I honestly don’t think there’s much hope for you. LOL.

Here’s an article where Arsenal Wenger criticises Grealish for his poor defensive play when the tie was at 1-1.

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/soccer/wenger-grealish-city-real-madrid-26883588.amp

He said Pep wasn’t the same level as Klopp. That’s nonsense.

• Advertisement

I've literally pointed out every touch he takes in this whole passage - just tell me when the big unforced error is, and i can see it and we'll be done 👍 Like, even describe it to me and maybe I'll have some idea what you're talking about - cause right now it looks very much like the thing you're talking about doesn't exist.

Yup, I agree with Wenger there - and I said as much already; "Like, sure, Grealish's general defensive closing down could probably be better". He could've defended better against Carvajal... but again, nothing to do with some big game-changing loss of possession. Sooo, i'm not sure what your point is?

I was quoting from memory. He didn’t lose possession. I edited that above. He was guilty of poor defensive play that literally turned the tie. That’s why Arsene Wenger singled him out for criticism. Are you going to tell me you know more about this kind of thing than Arsene Wenger? LOL. Give it a rest mate.

Ha, christ you're really scrambling all over the place here carrying those figurative goalposts... In my very first response to ya I literally stated that the worst thing he did was not be brilliant with his defensive closing down. Sounds like myself and Arsene are on the same page while you're all over the shop here 😅

Poor auld Jack was far from the only one not closing down properly though (as Wenger agrees with) - that final five minutes is riddled with lads not getting tight to Madrid players - they're all allowing crosses and passes all over the shop. Sure the first goal goes through half the Madrid team in the final third before it's knocked in - the momentum well and truly swung by that stage already. City were a collective defensive calamity, far from being something you could pin on just one fella.

(also, maybe don't argue so fervently over a half remembered point that you can't back up)

Oh I'm biased towards them alright chief 🤣🤣🤣

I'm basing my opinion on what both managers have achieved and the circumstances they worked under.

Pep at Barca inherited a team with footballing icons like Messi, Iniesta, Puyol and Xavi entering their prime and was also able to bring in brilliant players like Zlatan, Fabregas, Mascherano and Villa.

At Bayern he took over a team that had just won the treble the season before and cherry pick brilliant players like Lewa, Kimmich and Goetze from league rivals as well as brilliant imports like Vidal or Thiago.

At City he inherited a multiple title winning squad and was able to bring in nearly 50 new players in his 7 year stint due to the untold riches at his disposal.

Klopp on the other hand had a relatively meagre budget at BD and won two titles, the only 2 titles that Munich have not won since 2010.

He took over a Liverpool team that had by and large been also rans, built a team to win a league and come within a fanny hair of winning a couple more, as well as a CL and a couple of domestic trophies. Obviously money has been spent by him but budgetary constraints are very clearly in place.

PG has never done what JK has done, that is build a team from scratch that is good enough to go head to head with and beat the existing juggernaut. On that basis I rate JK higher.

Ha ha. I’m all over the place? You’re turning yourself inside out now scrambling to cover yourself. You’re agreeing with Wenger but Wenger singled out Grealish for criticism yet you’re not singling him out and claiming he was no more or less to blame than anyone else? You can’t have it both ways unfortunately. You can stop digging now there’s a good lad.

By the way I was originally crediting Grealish with putting in the hard graft when he got into the team after Foden had injury and form issues earlier in the season. He has worked hard and tracks back for the team now and eliminated that weak defensive play that has been in his game and that’s why he’s first pick still even though Foden is fit again. You seem to be overly sensitive on behalf of Grealish there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I don't think Pep would have gotten Liverpool from where they were to winning everything like they did.

I do think Klopp could have won as many PLs and cups as Pep did at City given everything at the managers disposal there. I'd also wager that he'd have gotten a CL much sooner.

Both are top tier managers but take on different roles.

You said Pep is not on the same level as Klopp. You can say what you like but that’s just nonsense. Klopp is not “a level” above Pep. Nonsense.

Absolutely and for the avoidance of doubt I'm not saying PG is a "bad" manager but his MO and JKs MO are vastly different.

Care to explain why? I've clearly outlined the reason for my opinion so feel free to disagree with something a little meatier than "that's nonsense".👌

You originally said Klopp is on a different level to Pep, you’re now rowing back on that somewhat by saying you “rate Klopp higher”. That’s not surprising.

This is getting embarrassing, and exhausting.

You stated that Jack gave the ball away in such a pivotal way that the whole tie swung. I said this literally never happened, and that the worst he did was be defensively suspect at one point. You kept right on fervently maintaining your statement about some mythical ball-givaway, until thoroughly proven wrong, and then suddenly pivot to Wenger saying the same thing I said - that Jack's defensive closing down wasn't great (at which point - obviously - the momentum had already swung, what with the goal and 2 additional shots conceded in the previous 45 seconds - like literally, just go watch the last 10 minutes - it is impossible to claim that that moment was somehow the key momentum swinger, when there are so so so many bigger mistakes by City players to turn things in Madrids favour before that). It's like you've decided that any criticism of anything Jack did (even if it demonstrably wasn't the definitive key moment you maintained) is tantamount to validation of your initial incorrect statement. Which is nuts.

tldr; You stated a thing, you were wrong, you were called on it, the end.

<edit> ah jeysus, i've actually just gone and read back over a few posts by yourself to myself and others. whole things a car wreck - more fool me for engaging in the first place when i saw a comment i knew to be untrue. That's what I get for 4pm work procrastinations!

Not rowing back at all hoss, if you are more comfortable with it, I think JK is a higher level than PG for the reasons I outlined above so would you be so kind as to provide reasons why you think I'm incorrect.👍

Embarrassing and exhausting is right. Will you stop with the ott sensitivity towards valid criticism of Grealish in the 2022 semi final. He has improved that part of his game that’s why he’s a first pick now

You’re now rowing forward again. LOL.

Any manager with the record he has is top level. There is no one on a “tier”above him. You might prefer Klopp’s style as a manager or he might be a better fit in certain situations; they might be different types of managers but Klopp’s not a different “level” to him.

So you aren't going to provide any reasons why you think I'm wrong. Sweet. 🤷‍♂️

• Advertisement

I’ve just given you the reason. Pep is a top level manager there is no “level” above him. Have you difficulty with understanding that?

Imagine being an actual Man City fan on here. LOL. The level of bitterness is off the scale.

That's not a reason hoss. It's an unqualified opinion, he has won trophies obviously but he has ALWAYS had massive advantages vs any of his league rivals. The teams he has left also continued to win things after his departure.

It is a reason actually “hoss”. LOL.

If he is top level which I think only someone who is being very churlish would try to make out he isn’t, then by definition there’s no one a “level” above him because there is no “level” above him.

Have you got it now? If you still can’t get it I don’t think I can do anymore for you to help you comprehend. Watching Sevilla Juve now I’ll leave you to it.

lol, my issue wasn't criticism of Grealish, it was you inventing an incident which never happened. As has since been established.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,342 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Serie A have a finalist in each of the 3 European finals - some going.

You just a fan of pep, I haven't seen a pep fan around here since... Ah it's gone, can't think of the name

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

It's great to see and, even though they'll all probably be the less fancied teams in those finals, I'd love them all to win the trophies. It'd be great to see Jose win back to back European trophies too.

I was sceptical about the Conference League when they announced it but it's been great to see teams like West Ham, Fiorentina, Basel and Alkmaar playing in European semis. I know that the money and prestige are nothing compared to the Champions League but it gives them a chance European competition, West Ham are having a terrible season but they could still win a European trophy, which would be a huge boost for them and their fans. I'm a believer of winning breads winning and winning these tournaments can only help players and clubs learn how to win more trophies, look at Roma in the Europa League final after winning the Conference League last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How do you spot the Man City fan?

Its the lad who constantly defends Man City at every opportunity, even if he pretends he isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,615 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

I'll be honest, my opinion of Milan v Napoli was measured, I got carried away after that, doubled down in support of Milan, posted my colors to the mast.

I still think if Milan didn't concede early in the first leg, they would have ground it out. But as others rightly pointed out, everything after that was fanboyism.

It's hard to watch such a great institution like Milan struggle, I'll continue to will them on. Europe a far poorer place without AC Milan.

I don't apologies for the fanboyism, every neutral football supporter should of been willing them on, the resurrection of Europe's greatest team.

Teams and clubs come and go, have their eras, but Milan is an institution, football royalty. The world should be willing them to rise once more

Juve will be deducted points, Milan will get top 4.

The only sensible thing you say, is they defended well over two legs v Napoli. Only for a Pioli calamity, they would of dug in and applied the same tactics. Pioli, for some unknown reason, had them go on the offensive in the first game. Big mistake.

Everything Milan did to get this far in the competition, Pioli sent them out to do the opposite in the first leg. As a betting man, that can't be accounted for.

He applied huge pressure on Saelemaekers in the first leg, moving him into the centre as opposed to the left wing, with no plan behind him, hammering his confidence.

Saelemaekers a true 10, and Diaz should of been on the right from the get go, Diaz couldn't handle the physical stuff from the Inter midfield, Saelemaekers up to the task on that front.

Their plan and system was completely mismanaged, and when Saelemaekers was touted as a starter in the second leg, in his true position, I was delighted. But alas, left on the bench.

When I say he applied pressure on Saelemaekers in the first leg in the middle, he started him on the left with no plan when he drifted in. Give Saelemaekers structure from behind and he'll create.

You knew the game was up when Saelemaekers wasn't the first sub, the guy needed to be on the field

In years to come, when Saelemaekers is viewed in the same breath as the likes of Pirlo and Totti, people will be scratching their head as to how he was ever on the bench, any bench.

Absolute genius in the making

You look at Pioli and he's hated by as many as he's loved, after the weekend, hated even more, by the fans and players. He'll be sacked, but as I said, Milan have a buy in the way other teams don't.

People can laugh and quote me on this in years to come, but Milan are on the cusp of greatness again. Players who aren't in it completely for the money, are seeing what's happening with Milan, and the complete buy in of players already there, want to be part of it.

Word is starting to reach the footballing masses that Milan is the club of the people, and many players want a part of it. Those there already, refuse to leave!

The ethos of the club, is now one of the people, the opposite direction most clubs are going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,160 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

He finished third. It was lowest ever league position as a manager and it only happened once.

God that's right, totally forgot about that - mad to think of a Pep City team finishing behind Spurs!

• Advertisement

Wasn’t that Anderson is something or other? I remember him.

I suppose you get labelled a Pep fan around here if you don’t spend ages trying to belittle his achievements and make out he’s not a top level coach or there’s others “a level” above him. LOL. Such bitterness. I don’t support any EPL side so thankfully don’t have such hang ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,764 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Hang on, we're supposed to believe 'TheCitizen', who posts about Man City constantly, doesn't support Man City?

I support Celtic. We got put out in the group stage before Christmas so since then I’ve been watching as a neutral, bar of course when after I back a team to win then I just follow my wager. I think that’s frowned on on here. You either hate Pep or you’re a Pep fanboy, no in between allowed it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,210 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Ah yes. So when he didn't have the deck completely stacked in his favour, with 15 or 16 world beaters in his squad, he finished in his lowest ever league position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,774 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saelekamkers is viewed as a half decent squad player at best buy most fans plenty would have been happy to see him go last summer if it means a more rounded starter could come in.

Pirlo was a generational talent. Made his serie a debut at 16 and though it didn't work at inter, Milan still paid close to 20 million got him because it was widely accepted he would be a world class player.

Inter never should have sold him, and AC never should have released him. Saelekamkers is young enough to keep improving , but he's not going to be pirlo or totti. That's delusional.

• Advertisement
Advertisement