Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wokeism of the day *Revised Mod Note in OP and threadbanned users*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

The point is taking a snippet from a single video capturing part of an incident and parroting it widely on the internet as somehow being related to the trans issue is a bizarre approach to take to life. This incident should not have made it to any media, it was an argument between two people where only the people involved know all the facts. There is a certain mindset now that will actively seek out any snippets of information, with no regard to context, that might taint individuals that present a worldview that might be opposed to their own and then present that individuals behaviour as representative of all of those who may have a similar worldview. Its bizarre and unhinged to be honest.

Maybe this person is complete c u next tuesday, or maybe they are a victim of hate, either way there was absolutely no reason for this to be a story on social media, the daily mail or elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Unhinged behaviour is to taking the side of a clear verbal and physical aggressor. This indicient , which is a crime , has been reviewed by Starbucks who sacked Luna as they found no evidence that could support her claims she was a victim of transphobia. There's no grey area here , she verbally and physically assaulted two members of the public. What context do you need that makes this behaviour acceptable? The accusations that the woman went on a transphobic triade , which there is absolutely zero evidence of?

The Woman on video is saying "Im not transphobic , you don't know me". To flip character immediately after yelling "tranny" is the behaviour of a psychopath. Is she a liar and a psychopath , this victim? I understand now im dealing with extreme bias and dishonesty , so that will be that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭crusd

Who is taking sides may I ask you? Why is some one not jumping to conclusions based on a snippet of information and conflicting information presented by those involved automatically identified as "taking a side".

It was minor incident the like of which happen everywhere everyday. That it blew up into a thing on the internet is f*cked up and emblematic of the desire to present every minor incident involving an individual as being representative of anyone who people consider of being of the same tribe eg "here is this trans individual behaving badly, those bloody trans people".

But go on with your Helen Lovejoy "its a crime!", " they are a psychopath" hysteria in an attempt to keep presenting a minor altercation as a "trans" or "woke" issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I read the following some time ago and was so gobsmacked by it I bookmarked it. I knew I'd come back to it some day.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/3kgvab/transgender-sex-chasers-cisgender-men

But we also know that desire is flexible: for example, trans girls’ (and more broadly, trans people’s) sexual attractions often change after starting transition. 

So this person suggests there is a way to change sexual orientation. And people wonder whey LGB doesn't want anything to do with the TQI+. I believe this style of article is designed to brainwash people into believing they have a right to something they don't have a right to.

Anyway, funny cuz it's true.

There are 2 very common reasons one would be sacked from a hospitality job. One is not being able to handle the pace, i.e. can't actually do the job and the other is being rude or aggressive to a customer. It does not matter what a customer says you have to be capable of biting your lip. If a situation were so bad it warranted a customer to be ejected you would have to be able to do it in a cool mannered way. Showing anger or loosing it is a sackable offence.

Incidents where staff loose it do not happen 'everywhere everyday'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

It does not matter what a customer says you have to be capable of biting your lip.

So a customer calls a trans person a “tranny” and that person is just supposed to “bite their lip?” Same for a black person being called the N word, right? Or a homosexual being called the F-slur?

Get real, staff in cafés and restaurants aren’t sponges for abuse from bigots. Nobody has to “bite their lip” over bigotry and abuse.

What context do you need that makes this behaviour acceptable? The accusations that the woman went on a transphobic triade , which there is absolutely zero evidence of?

There is evidence of a transphobic tirade from the customer, eye-witness accounts from other customers and staff members present at the scene.

These can be read in the article you provided, perhaps you should give it a read yourself instead of regurgitating cringe American right wing propaganda.

Staff members and other customers who were there at the time have corroborated these events to VICE News, and they all continue to believe that Spain was not in the wrong.

One customer – who did not want to be named because they’re scared of a backlash – told me: “So much of what I’m reading about the incident online is absolute bollocks. The Starbucks girl tried to de-escalate the situation, and when the customer didn’t stop, she got her out of the door like any security guard would have. I don’t see the issue. The customer should’ve just left rather than caused a scene.” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Yes, she should be commended for having the balls to stand up for herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

Keeping it light hearted how this ever got to a tribunal is beyond me. Absolutely the right decision made.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-65632912

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If everything in the article below is true, it sounds like the employer will be in trouble for not following the correct procedure/legislation for sacking an employee. That's if what Spain did warrants a sacking. A phone call and then a sacking an hour later doesn't sound like it's the correct procedure for a sacking in the UK.

Slapping the phone out of someone's hand could be deemed assault.

Calling someone a name doesn't give someone the right to assault someone though. Slapping the phone out of someone's hand is probably assault. Christiano Ronaldo was cautioned by UK police for knocking the phone out of someone's hand after a game. At the time of Spain knocking the camera out of Andrew's hand, there was no allegation of wrongdoing on Andrew's part. He just filmed the incident. Fair enough, an examination of Andrew's social media after the event shows him using homophobic slurs etc. but that's after the event and he should rightly receive criticism for that. But Spain had no right to knock the phone out of his hand.

In fact something similar happened to me once. The abuser was a Jeo Pesci type, Italian mafia vibes of him. I turned to stone while he was having his rant, because I knew that's what I'm supposed to do, not because I was fearful of him. He was a regular with this other unpleasant Italian mates, and there was no way he was going to be barred over that incident. Real world honey.

Jesus Christ, if you can't fit into a JUMBO jet you're the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

You have never worked a public facing retail job so? If you think every time some jackass throws slurs and completely unacceptable language/behavior in a retail setting the staff get to act out verbally or physically I can confidently tell you: it does not work like that, it never has, and rightly never will.

There is absolutely no way, whatsoever a person will keep their position if they LEAVE the premises attempting to confront someone, never mind if it’s an attempt to confiscate someone’s personal property.

Its really that simple. She didn’t lose her job because she was a victim of abuse and reacting accordingly. It’s also alarming how quick you are to cry transphobia and take hearsay/an article as gospel truth, although I’m sure the couples comments might be findable. Absolutely nobody said calling someone a transphobic slur was ok and asking people such is **** childish to the extreme.

You have never worked a public facing retail job so? If you think every time some jackass throws slurs and completely unacceptable language/behavior in a retail setting the staff get to act out verbally or physically I can confidently tell you: it does not work like that, it never has, and rightly never will.

”Rightly?” You’re talking out of your hat.

A person who is working in retail is a human being and they still the right, that’s right the right, to be treated with dignity and respect from customers.

To me, with that speculative remark about my history in working in retail, you sound like someone who manages people and would rather throw a supplicant who is being abused to the lions than defend them.

Or you’re someone who has been abused and who didn’t have the bottle to defend themselves.

Either way you’re clearly letting your personal experiences blind you to a universal truth: someone being attacked has the right to defend themselves. Even if they work in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,777 ✭✭✭Evade

someone being attacked has the right to defend themselves. Even if they work in retail.

Mean words aren't an attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

So. I’m a lazy, cowardly managerial type who will throw people into hostile situations. I’m also a weak willed coward who allows others to abuse me. This got personal very quickly.

Just for the record. You don’t know a single thing about me. My age, my gender, my sexual orientation, my race, my history…. nothing. You don’t know if my retail experience is personal or not (although maybe if you trawl through enough posts you might, you’ve proved to be more than capable of that). You are an argumentative gaslighting hyperbolic bully, who infers the worst possible meaning from others posts and just runs with it. When you can’t twist words you just make em up, or attack with some made up shite like the above. It takes very little for it to come to the surface. It’s boring and childish.

Stop generalizing to the extreme and stop summarizing the points being made incorrectly and moving the goal posts. Nobody (at least not me and I don’t see it elsewhere) said someone being physically abused are not allowed defend themselves.

What was said was that someone being allegedly (yes allegedly) verbally abused in the workplace cannot expect to keep their job when the only evidence shows them as the aggressor and physically LEAVING the work premises to take someone else’s personal property.

Post edited by Danonino. on

From "you've clearly never worked in retail" to "don't speculate about my life, you don't know a thing about me."

You're the bully, mate.

There's a slight difference between "you've never worked in retail" and "you must throw your workers under the bus or be a cowardly abuse victim," and by slight difference I mean a massive gulf. If anyone here is a bully it's you, doubly so if you actually think Danonino is an abuse victim.

I'm not a bully, and it's hilarious that you say all of this this two posts after declaring that "mean words aren't an attack."

That poster is throwing around aspersions about other poster's personal histories in order to defend verbally abusing a transwoman working in a café, now they're calling me a bully for speculating about their own history.

No offence but I don't you and your mob will have to throw your shít a little bit harder before it can stick to me. Any right minded reader will see right through your efforts to discredit me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,268 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Mean words aren't an attack and therefore aren't an excuse to start a physical altercation, immediate threat of violence aside, under the guise of defence. That doesn't exclude mean words from being a kind of bullying. Like I wrote the difference between "you haven't worked retail" and "you'd throw your staff under the bus or are an abused coward" is huge. It shouldn't be hard to understand why these aren't comparable unless you've already set the other person as the enemy and therefore anything you do to them is justified because you're in the right.

I wouldn't put too much faith in an unbiased reader siding with you based on the content of your posts because they're lacking.

• mod

CGI_Livia_Soprana - threadbanned

warning also issued for posts above.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Hardly a shock. Hollywood drama is one thing. They're guaranteed to have a few historical howlers, either to drive the story, or from laziness, or indeed because it's what popcorn stuffers in the audience expect. EG "medieval" equals dour greys and browns with muck everywhere. Monty Python did it for the knowing chuckle, others do it in deadly earnest(the last example that springs is Ridley Scott's Last Duel shot here. Oh boy...).

Documentary is, or should be something else. Then again American made stuff is aimed at the easily distracted for an audience who thinks anything pre 1776 is "ancient". QV the inappropriately named "History" Channel. So again not such a shock with Netflix, who can be earnest to the point of farce. So it's daft enough that a Hollywood drama flic like Troy cast a German blonde lass as Helen, but making out Ptolemaic Egypt and her queen, a Greek Syrian woman so inbred she likely played a mean banjo on long winter evenings, was a near exclusively Black nation in a documentary kinda takes the biscuit. Their only sources appeared to be based on personal beliefs and wanting it to be true so badly.

It did get attention, so I'm surprised it didn't get more views, but it seems those who did view it gave up very early in. When critics who normally fall on the Right On side of things gave it the bum's rush...

Aside from the banal catchphrase, that's the part I don't get. Companies see the hit to profits, stock prices and bad publicity and still keep pushing stuff that appears bad for business. And have plenty of other companies losing money as examples going back years. Are their boards and marketing depts. so isolated? I mean they would have seen the hit Gilette took for their "toxic masculinity" ad, the hit Budweiser took fronting an atomic powered attention seeking cross dresser(not just Bud there either), now Adidas are getting in on the act by advertising women's swimwear using male models. I can understand trying to market to unexploited niches, but looking like taking the piss out of your core market? It just doesn't make sense.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

It just doesn't make sense.

It does when you think about it this way: these people making these decisions are not real professionals, their jobs are not a real jobs, they don't add any value to their organizations. They are just mouthpieces with no sense of what business is and no vision and no strategy. Normally they put out boring pointless PR campaigns which no one cares about, things like corporate responsibility, nonsense about the environment and zero carbon and all that crap, they pat themselves on the back and they get back to their home which is not carbon neutral or inclusive or diverse. So they do this until they fk up, and only then the real impact of their job is felt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

America essentially invented marketing and modern advertising and it played a large part of what drove her economic success. Marketing departments inside and brought in marketing companies outside of these huge multinationals are very much professional enterprises. "Real jobs" with billions in their collective hands that impact real profits, they hope, nay expect positively. All those brand names rattling around in our heads, how did they get there? Marketing. How do they stay there? Marketing. The actual utility and quality of many products is in many ways secondary to the marketing of those same products.

So no, it doesn't make much sense to seemingly go out of their way to alienate core markets, even if it gets attention, because it's hitting bottom lines.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

I wasn't referring to proper marketing and advertisement, those are real jobs with real impact, no one can deny that. It used to be a time when selling your product and creating brand awareness and generally creating value for your employer and its shareholders/investors was all it mattered. But somehow some of them got a wrong idea that they are actually more than they are, they started these political campaigns, they started for no explainable reasons to appeal to the looney left. This is when their job stopped being a real job.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭archfi

'Sustainable Finance' aka ESG.

Gotta get those scores up.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

When you look at the mission of Corporate Equality Index it starts to make sense. Basically money management firms who own everything are strong arming companies into making decisions (sometimes)against their will. They all want to be the next Diageo. There will be penalties if their scores drop. Its fairly sinister when you take a dive dive look as their influence has infiltrated government as well as corporate sectors.

Dove is the latest company to pay into the system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Fair play to whoever made the engines on the JUMBO. There must be some lift in those fcukers. 😁

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement