Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

EV's. More convenient than ICE cars?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭micks_address

Having my EV a year I can't honestly say they are more convenient that ice cars..sure I get free charging at work, half price tolls and free fuel from solar at home but it's still an extra consideration if you planning a road trip around where will I charge etc.. day to day I don't care but I'm going to Manchester via Scotland in a few weeks and I need to plan where chargers are etc on the route.. no need to do that with petrol or diesel.. it's by no means terrible but it's not as convenient as knowing I could pull into a petrol station twice on the journey and fill up with petrol or diesel in five minutes and be on my merry way.. am I going to sell my EV and go back to ice? Absolutely not.. I'm all in on ev.. but to say they are more convenient that ice is a cod especially if doing a journey of several hundred miles

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Once you want to go on a roadtrip outside your range / usual charging route then an ICE wins hands down.

It's amazing that so many people are in denial over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Sounds complicated. Why don't you charge on a night rate might I ask? You won't get much from solar.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭n.d.os

Hands up who does 400km road trips frequently?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I find it a bit more annoying going to Donegal which I do a good few times a year but outside of that it has been easier than an ice car and far cheaper. My last car was far more expensive to fuel and tax but I have similar performance and day to day it is a dream to run.

That is me being cheap by not bothering with the M1 charger and using the granny cable when I get there.

I will say though that there’s no way I’d go Bev with out off street home charging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 cgorzy

i don’t think I have even once claimed that EV’s are not more convenient for those who are charging at home because others cannot charge at home. I have said that I think overall EV’s are not more convenient because of my view on the different circumstances and requirements of all drivers. I have pointed out too that I think the question asked is general and that is why I am giving my view trying to consider these different circumstances. The question “EV’s more convenient than ICE cars for those who can charge at home?” Is not in the thread title. That question and that in the thread title may have different answer’s depending on one’s view.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,322 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Why on earth do you not simply charge at night? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

• Registered Users Posts: 49 ahusband

Not strictly true, they all have weight and speed ratings, it is not just the width and profile you need to match up.

EV's are generally heavier and consequently require a higher load rated tyre.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

How big a convenience is home charging compared to buying fuel and does the added convenience for those that can have home charging outweigh the inconvenience for those who cannot?

Here's the statement I'm challenging, for a given person the convenience is entirely down to the circumstances that they are using the car in. Your still avoiding the direct question on how much experience of using an EV without home charging you have. Can I assume its because you have none?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Most people value everyday experience over the limited times they go on road trips. Everyone's tolerance will be different, not everybody is living in fear of having to spend their time or money on a charging stop. There's a very small subset of people who are mad enough to need a charge on their daily commute. They're the people who like to take the risk and be early adopters, they probably had owned a Lumia Windows Phone at some point in their life.

That response was to @Danzy who made following claim

The cost of the tyres and the short duration of them is a big expense.

I've not noticed a particularly accelerated tyre wear on any EV I've owned. If someone is saying make sure you buy ones with the correct numbers on them I wouldn't immediately jump to the conclusion they're saying buy the ones with the right width and profile but go ahead and ignore the load number and speed rating.

The only notable thing for me looking into tyres is the T0/1/2 rated tyres that are approved by Tesla and come with the acoustic deadening, but I don't see that as any different from other OE tyre rating systems such as the BMW * star rating or AO for Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Who is in denial over this? The more common issue is people over exaggerating the inconvenience for what might be a once or twice a year event

• Registered Users Posts: 20,039 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

To be fair you have made that decision based on diverting free solar which isn't even an option in an ice car, you don't have to do that you could just charge once a week overnight like most people do.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,315 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Drove 1800km roundtrip last year in my EV across 2 days. Stopped twice each way, 20 mins average per stop.

Planning took all of 5 mins, banged my destination into ABRP and it figured out the charging stops

Didn't queue once, chargers all worked. I doubt I'd have made the trip any quicker with an ICE, I ended up stopping for more bathroom breaks than charging stops and I was exhausted after that distance, so I needed the breaks

So I think the delusion is on the part of the ICE drivers 😉

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Absolutely

Fueling my wife's petrol car, 50 a pop, gives just under 400km range, takes a minimum of 10mins on average to drive to garage, queue in, queue for a pump,stand in the cold, queue in shop, queue out, drive home.

Assuming no kids with you, then you've to add in another few mins to take them out of the car, and strap them back in.

So in total for 15,000km a year you need around 38 fuel stops, or 380mins a year.

My EV, charge at home/work every 5days. Takes 30seconds to plug in/out max.

So 45 mins a year

Then on longer trips like the 4.5hr drive to my folks we'd always stop anyway and car is always ready before we've finished with bathroom, buying coffee or food so 0 additional time required .

So yes much more convenient.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭Old diesel

The tolerance thing is a key overlooked aspect.

Theres a definite variation in how individuals react to EV life even in similar usage case circumstances.

Im an EV enthusiast and would still have one even if no home charging not because its a good or bad idea but because i would want to own an EV badly enough to deal with the issues that present themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 7,050 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Utter balderdash!

I got 96,000 kilometers from the original set of tyres on a 192 Kona. I probably could have pushed the rears to 100,000km, easily. We replaced them recently for the exact same tyres for no more than a standard tyre price.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Yes. A lot more convenient.

In 2023 I've had to public charge on 3 different days (overnight trip to Bantry, twice on way down, twice on way back), and a day trip to Waterford (once on way down, once on way back). On every occasion the charging session averaged about 20 minutes, and we needed toilet breaks anyway so were more than glad to stop. Total spend public charging since last summer = Tesla: €70.59 (4 sessions back in Feb when still expensive), Applegreen: €34.60

Every other day of the year so far (and since last summer), all charging has taken place with the car on the driveway.

Had I been solely using the ICE since last summer, that might have been 20+ trips to the petrol station.

So yes, (for me) a lot more convenient.

Also since April 5th, I've only charged from the grid on 2 occasions for a total of about 25kWh (€5.50), and all the rest (covering around 2,000km) was from solar PV excess. (on Wednesday alone I put 13kWh into the car which equates to about 100-115km).

so yes, a lot more convenient, and also a lot cheaper when able to generate it's fuel on my roof..

Best phones ever. Until it emerged that Microsoft reneged on its promise to bridge to App store and Play store so we were all forced to abandon ship 😒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Another vote in the "EVs are more convenient column" - for us.

last 18 months, we've home charged bar 2 family holidays (one to Co. Clare, the other to South of France). All of our on the road stops would have happened anyway, and on each occasion the car was charged and ready to go before it's occupants had had a pee, snack and run around the play areas of the rest stops.

Only twice did I think it was less convenient:

• There was one stop in France that we needed to drive 10 minutes out of the way to get to the better rest stop (with Ionity chargers), but arguably we would have done that anyway since that rest stop also has a McDonalds with a pretty epic playground in it.
    • Our holiday home didn't have home charging, and the wiring was a tad archaic so I never really trusted it for granny charging. For the 4 weeks, I used a few AC chargers in the local town about 3km away. It was fine for 2 weeks, but by week 4 I was a bit tired of working it into our schedule.

So bar that, we are part of the 30 seconds to plug in, charge while we eat and sleep gang which couldn't be easier. I hated having to either leave earlier to allow for time to get petrol, or on way home stop within sight of home to refill. And with 2 toddlers, it was a real ballache when pay at the pump didn't work. Ironically, the only time I didn't mind stopping was on 200km+ drives when I'd be gasping for a coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭kanuseeme

That car has terrible efficiency, 35 mpg, you hardly spend 1900 euro a year on fuel or its just you are using those figures for the average yearly mileage, last car I had that had similar efficiency was a pick up truck from 10 years ago, which I filled when I was at tesco, which I was at, anyway, I think the 20 minute drive to get fuel is made up, if you cannot see that you need fuel and are passing a petrol station and ignore that fact and then drive home and then drive to the petrol station maybe someone should come out with a better route planner for petrol stations, it could make life somewhat easier for some.

If you got a hybrid car you could nearly double your efficiency, half your time spent driving to petrol stations and fuel bill.

Post edited by kanuseeme on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Sorry but I disagree.

I drove my EV to Lithuania last summer (in reality though it was from the Ferry in Cherbourg, France to the Ferry in Kiel, Germany, about 1,300km each way), required zero planning needed.. got off the boat in France and put hotel in Maastricht into the nav, and the car did the rest (routing me around busy Superchargers etc...), and I was actually glad of a stop every 90-120 minutes or so as when doing 600-700km in a single day, I need as many breaks as possible.. I actually baulked on one occasion in getting back into the car when it said the next leg would be 2 1/2 hours... So I drove harder/faster to use more energy so the car would route me to a closer charging stop, which it did.

Since returning home from that trip, there's been 2 occasions that I've gone beyond my home range.. I still have a BMW 320d M-Sport, and the thought of taking the BMW over the Tesla didn't even enter my mind. I'd still be stopping anyway whether in the BMW or the Tesla...

@crisco10 - "Our holiday home didn't have home charging, and the wiring was a tad archaic so I never really trusted it for granny charging."

You don't state what car you have, but in many you can dial down the current the car can take. In Ioniq 28kWh i.e. you can go as low as about 780W, I'm sure that would have been fine for the archaic wiring in your holiday home 😁

It isn’t clear to me what you what is being challenged? That one can consider the conveniences/inconveniences of an ev and an ice for drivers with different living circumstances? If so I think one can. That my opinion on the how the conveniences/inconveniences weigh up for all drivers is incorrect? Then yes this may indeed be wrong but what I have seen, heard and experienced so far brings me to my conclusion.

do I charge an EV at home? No. Have I said that someone with an ev who believes it is more convenient for them is wrong? No. I would say that the statement of mine quoted acknowledges that home charging is a convenience.

The question in the title does not refer to any given person or to one’s own experience. Some may feel the question asked should be answered only for oneself, but I disagree. I think overall ICE is more convenient with consideration to the different circumstances of every driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah we have an Ioniq 5. and I did turn down the Amps, but I still wouldnt have been happy leaving it overnight, I used it here or there but adding a small percentage points in a few hours wasn't really worth it. And then anytime a kettle was turned on, the trip switch went. Just not worth it.

I'm challenging you on why you feel the need to collapse the convenience level down to a black and white answer. If 51% of people were able to charge at home would you change your tune and tell the diesel golf owner that their car was less convenient than an EV?

I gave an opinion on the question being asked. Might my opinion be different 1 year from now, or 5 years from now? Of course. Might it change today due to different thoughts being expressed that make me reconsider my view? Yes. Would I decide based on 51% of people being able to charge at home? No as there are other factors I would consider. I don’t think coming to an overall opinion on the question is a bad thing so I expressed mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,200 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Because there are EV owners for some reason that have become some sort of EV zealots that are starting threads claiming that the few minutes it takes to put fuel in a ICE is some sort of major inconvenience.

For most people it's not, never has been, never will be.

The same EV zealots will also claim without a hint of irony that a hour stopover waiting for and charging their EV when you only really wanted to stop for 20mins at the Obama Plaza is not an inconvenience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,904 ✭✭✭✭josip

Most of our day trip distances would be coming in a little under the 400km, but there are a few over. Our annual trip breakdown would be roughly:

30 * 350-400km

10 * 400-500km

10 * 500-1000km

5 * 1000km+

Advertisement