Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connacht Team Talk Thread VI - Some like it TOH

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭serfboard

I can't understand myself why Hawkshaw would have fallen out of favour - he played some games at 12 at the start of the season and IMO made a great combination with Carty.

For his last two games playing 10, the first one was a late replacement, and tbh he wasn't that great, but for the next game, he'd had a bit of notice and practice in the position and I thought that he played very well.

Unfortunately for him, his position at 12 has been taken by Bundee and Forde. At 10, it seems likely that Jack won't get another international cap, so unless he is injured, the 10 vacancy doesn't arise. From a business point of view it seems a waste of an asset - I don't see why he couldn't start in at least some of the games next season even when Jack is not injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Connacht are not going anywhere without a better out half. Next season I think they should give Hawkshaw every opportunity to stake a place. Maybe try Forde on the bench as the sub? I feel they need to look for alternatives to Carty. Carty is just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Carty is still better than the alternatives. Hawkshaw has got loads of opportunities this season to try become first choice. 15 or so appearances, plenty of starts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Hawkshaw was primarily at 12? Carty may still be the best option but he's not ideal. It's probably unlikely that a niq could be signed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Carty isn't reliable enough. He does some brilliant stuff (passing mainly) but you cannot be missing touch from penalties. He misses on both sides too, sometimes slices when on the left hand side and it goes dead, and sometimes doesn't catch it properly when on the right hand side and the defenders keep it in play. That's before you get to the place kicking which has never been consistent.

Could someone else kick, Hansen maybe, or Forde? We could do with a lefty anyway so start Carty at 10, Forde at 12 and let Forde do the kicking? Forde has a far straighter kicking action. Carty looks like he's trying to kick a football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭Wegians89

Andrew Smith named 7s player of the year. Very excited to see what he can do in 15s next season. He looks like a work horse that isn’t afraid to get stuck in defensively, with a spark in attack.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,619 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

not sure why he wasn't named in the season ending london sevens this weekend??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭KBurke85

They seem to have changed a few players as they are preparing for the European games. I guess having signed for Connacht he my not be available for that tournament. McNamara hasn't been selected either.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭CuriousCucumber

I just dont see Carberry being an improvement on what we already have.

Think we're ok at full back too

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭Zeugnis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

There's definitely a bit of rotation.

I'm not sure if it's because Smith won't be available for European championships or for next season or if its because we usually use European championships as a development event and we can't this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Interesting that you see full back as the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Porch and Hansen have flourished with existing full back

Cordero has said in an interview in France he’s coming in to play at 15

You're giving Tiernan too much credit there. And I've been quite complimentary about TOH since his performances improved. He had a decent season, especially since xmas, and was worth extending. But he is not a game changer and is getting long in the tooth. Even if you love him, he's approaching the end of his career.

To the Carberry sceptics, he had some good games for Munster this year, has nice footwork and is still in his prime. He's also an excellent place kicker. No player in Irish rugby has had as tough a ride in recent years. I will not die on this hill, and as I don't believe it will happen, but all the same I say: Carberry to Connacht. Otherwise he's going to leave Ireland and we'll end up with Charlie Tector. I'm looking forward to seeing Harry West and hope he'll set the place on fire, but there is no evidence for that... yet. And we need someone to pressure Jack next season.

Post edited by Zeugnis on

Yes, I believe we need to transition from Tiernan. We are lucky that he has regained form and the failure to identify his successor has not sabotaged us. But we need to move on.

Any thoughts on Daly's recent cameos at 10?

Post edited by Zeugnis on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I never really understand this. It can’t be that common that the 10 is the best kicker to touch.

Don’t think it’d happen but Carbery would be an upgrade on Carty, less reliable from a fitness point of view however.

The thing for me that never makes sense on this is the slavish adherence to the same player kicking for touch (usually the 10) even in situations where it would clearly make more sense to use a left footed player.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

It's probably Sextons only mediocre skill. R Kearney kicked a few years ago and did it well but not unless Sexton was getting treatment order off the pitch, you'd imagine Lowe would do pretty well at it. It's a weird tradition that won't go away. Why not let Porch or another player with a good boot take that responsibility even if only occasionally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭b.gud

Connacht will be making an announcement at 4pm on their twitter. 10 minutes to get in your wild guesses.

I'm going with Beauden Barrett signs a 3 year deal with us

• Registered Users Posts: 6,008 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I'm going with Beauden Barrett signs a 3 year deal with us

Oooh, you were so close!

JJ Hanrahan signed for an unspecified period of time

At the end of the press release it also confirms he is the last signing for the upcoming season

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭blackhound

Some fantastic business done by Connacht for next season. Pretty much every area where we've needed to strengthen has been addressed. Obviously Marmion and Delahunt leaving are big losses but to some extent you can see the logic from a budget point of view when you like at the academy etc.

Hopefully the delayed start to the season next year gives the coaches sufficient time to get their game plan across and we can hopefully hit the ground running next season and get to knockout rugby on two fronts.

Yup I've often heard of JJ referred to as the BB of the NH 😂

In all seriousness though I think this is a decent signing. I don't think he's going to come in ahead of Carty but I think he'll give him the proper competition that he needs to push him on. Given our budget and the clusterf**k that seems to be happening I'd imagine it's probably he's probably the best experienced out-half we could get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

Aul Jack Jerry Hanrahan so? I'll take that tbh. He has still a bit to prove but he's probably in better form than Carty at least.

I think that's a good and interesting signing for Connacht.

Will be interesting to see if he can beat Jack Carty to the 10 shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Barrett was never a world young player of the year nominee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

We needed a 10 and we got a 10. Hopefully he can push Jack beck into good form with a bit of competition. I know I've been critical of the management but a URC semi, champions cup qualification and some excellent signings has really turned things around. Really looking forward to next season now.

Advertisement