Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gladiator 2

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Every time I see a bump for this thread, I'm like WTF? Expecting some mad news that this really is happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,476 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Every time I see a bump for this thread... I'm hoping that it's news that the film has been canned. Gladiator was a masterpiece. It doesn't need a prequel/sequel/reboot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

you probably think this comment contains 'mad news' ...

Sorry, it doesnt 😁

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

There'd be a lot of strikes in this general area I reckon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

According to the interview Ridley did with Empire recently the script's finished and he's planning to start filming once 'Kitbag' is done, so it looks a certainty - unfortunately!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ridley is always saying that. I remember reading an old '80s interview with him in which he said the script for Dune was finished and he was going to start shooting after Blade Runner or whatever he was doing at the time. He probably has another half a dozen films lined up after Kitbag in the hope that one of them gets green-lit. Not saying it won't happen but until it actually starts shooting I remain sceptical.

Let's hope you're right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean any old eejit can have a script "finished". Sure Nick Cave had one written with the endlessly reincarnated Maximus. Lots of wheels need to turn before we get anywhere near shooting - not least acquiring some sheckles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Exactly. Scripts are finished every day in Hollywood and it doesn't mean shit.

John carpenter said he used to make a tidy living writing scripts for stuff that never got done and never would have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,859 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Hyperbollix

Wouldn't hold out any hope for this being anything more than an average quality cash grab. Scott's record with sequels to his great original works is less than great and the idea that they would bother with that quaint old 20th century idea of a quality script and smart writing?

Nope. It'll be Fast n Furious in a toga won't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Recall once Nick Cave was asked to write a screenplay for a sequel to Gladiator - sounded a bit mental

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Haha 😄 just a bit

• Advertisement

I wonder is this going to be a sequel in any meaningful sense: Maximus's and Commdus's stories were surely comprehensively wrapped up in the first film, and Russell Crowe apparently won't be returning even in a Jor-El form

On top of that, the real Lucius Verus died as a child, so Scott has a completely blank slate to tell any story he wants about a young man in Ancient Rome...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Barry Keoghan is set to join now, and is supposedly going to play Roman emperor Geta.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,657 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Imagine what it's like to be Barry Keoghan. Born into humble beginnings in Summerhill, in (shall we say) troubled circumstances, and ending up working with Ridley Scott and being on an Oscars list.

Fair balls to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

Denzel in talks too now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭speedboatchase

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

They should have brought back Spencer Clark to play Lucius and cast Paul Mescal as the primary antagonist.

As Loafing Oaf said above though Lucius died as a child (think maybe he was even dead by the time the first film is set) and they had a blank slate since it is all fiction anyway.

There was a story idea of Maximus being raised from the dead. Was that Nick Cave’s one?

There was a story idea of Maximus being raised from the dead. Was that Nick Cave’s one?

Kind of, seemingly

Crowe asked Australian rocker Nick Cave to write a follow-up movie about his character's journey in the afterlife, according to a 2018 article in Vanity Fair. Cave's final script had Maximus sent back to Earth by the Gods on a mission to kill Christ: a plot that failed to resonate with Crowe or Scott, who spoke about Cave's idea of bringing back Maximus during an interview with ME.Movies. Scott said that Cave's plan for Gladiator 2 involved using the body of a dying warrior as a portal. While Cave's screenplay had Maximus purging the world of Christians, Gladiator producer Doug Wick approached Crowe with a pitch that had Maximus being resurrected in a Jesus-like fashion. 

Bonkers alright.

Though I am interested now in seeing Jesus vs. gladiators.

Barry Keoghan hasn’t been been able to join - the auld conflicted schedules chestnut being the reason.

Fred Hechinger from The White Lotus is now in talks to play Geta.

Peter Mensah (who played the trainer in the Spartacus TV series has joined and Derek Jacobi will return as Gracchus.

Mensah and Jacobi are great news. 

I wonder was Spencer Treat Clark ever considered and how he feels hearing that other stars from the original are being brought back. 

Always good to see an Irish actor or actress do well but the “man of the moment” thing has young people rise too high too fast and there is always a fall. Plus as a movie fan I get annoyed at an actor being in “everything”.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Holy **** Gracchus is still going!

Disappointing for Barry, surely has to be Marvel or DC that told him they'll need him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Very surprised to see Derek Jacobi returning. But intrigued.

Enjoyed Peter Mensah in Spartacus, and he was of course brilliant in 300 🤣. Call it type-cast, but he just seems like a suitable addition here.

I personally think Paul Mescal is safe from the "man of the moment" curse. To date, he still seems very selective with his roles. He's so far dodged Marvel & DC, and I'm sure the offers are coming in. Hard to turn down Ridley Scott.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Hopefully Ridley doesn't disappoint with such a fantastic cast. Pedro Pascal, Joe Quinn, Denzel....surely they signed up for something promising not to mention the returning actors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Dillonb3

Surprised they didn't go with Geta's brother Caracalla as the main villain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

A gay gladiator fighting prejudice in ancient Rome. I was wondering why they were making a re-make of this after so long.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Fairly bonkers reporting in the Hollywood Reporter that this spiralled wayyyy over budget, reaching a staggering $310 million (Paramount claim a ‘net’ cost of $250m). Just 49 days shooting as well. When you consider that’s the kind of budget range for an Avatar 2, which spent years shooting and years before that developing entire new technologies, it’s quite the chunk of change. Given Ridley Scott’s recent output as well, flying through production with two months of shooting doesn’t instill confidence either.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Shank Williams

Could be some bomb with Ridley at the helm- he’s lost it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,682 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

This doesn't appear to have gone over schedule so the strike probably accounts for most of the budget over run. The rushed shooting schedule would worry me but Scott has at this for years. He shot Napoleon in about 60 days. He shoots one or two takes with a dozen cameras and moves on.

The production couldn't be more troubled than the first film which they were writing as they went along. How the finished film wasn't a disaster is extraordinary.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,806 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The report does suggest an estimated $10 million cost for strike delays - a huge amount of money, but obviously a small percentage of the reported overrun. Perhaps that is an understatement, but seems like it’s not the only factor.

As for Scott’s shooting methods, it’s been a long time since he turned in a stone-cold banger, so even without the reportedly ultra-brief shooting window, I wouldn’t be getting too hyped about this film’s potential…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

not feeling it, there hasnt been any historically set movies in the last 10 or 20 years that have been a big hit? Nolan might have been the only Director to pull something like this off?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The production couldn't be more troubled than the first film which they were writing as they went along.

and they had to reanimate the remains of one of their main support players for a big chunk of his part...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I remember reading a few years ago that Michael Mann was going to adapt Bernard Cornwell’s novel about Agincourt. That would be great to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,840 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Said it already before back in the hallowed days of vBulletin, but I remain amazed this thing exists and about to release a trailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,969 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Will this be Paul Mescal's Alexander?

At least he hasn't gone with the bleached blonde hair that Colin Farrell went with for Alexander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,814 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Pedro Pascal seems over hyped, he is only a level above mediocre , I dont get the fascination with him

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,969 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will have some competition at the Box Office as Wicked Part One has been moved to open the same weekend as this.

Wicked moved dates as it was going against Moana 2.

I get what you mean: though Heat 2 is odd 'cos it came from a director with a fairly small, discreet CV; Ferrari needed a lot of shopping around IIRC - while Scott has always been so industrious and never seemed short of work or funding. It remains IMO an odd one from his CV to return to in some respects - everyone knows we're awaiting that Legend sequel lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Bizarre project.

But at least with Ridley you know that even though it makes no sense for this movie to exist as a sequel to Gladiator, people will be still able to enjoy a very accurate historical account of the the life and times of the characters portrayed.

• Advertisement

Based on Scott's own comments, it seems the only reason we haven't had more sequels from him is that he wasn't offered them.

My main concern about this is that he’s been in “I shot this scene with 10 cameras while eating my lunch and reading the following days script for the first time” mode for a while now. He was always a bit like that but it's worse as he's gotten older.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 542 ✭✭✭fran38

"Fair balls to him".

I see what you did there 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭MfMan

My main concern is that Denzel will hand in yet another smug, coasting-along performance, as he has being doing for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,290 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I really like him but fuk me he is in everything now and it's getting a bit boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭flasher0030

He was in All of Us Strangers. Brilliant movie. He was in Aftersun. Brilliant movie.

What else has he done that's made headlines in recent years. I haven't seen anything else with him in it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement