Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

Tempting but FIT is not cash in hand. The audit trail is very easy to see. A single data file from the ESB will highlight every home to Revenue that is making over the €200 and then comes the interest on top of that for withholding payment. I'm retired but the missus isn't so I won't stand in her way.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

How much are people expecting to make from the FIT, I worked out for deemed export from Flogas it'll be just under €400, which fits quite neatly into the tax free limit for 2 people

I've a 6kW inverter so it's effectively maxed out for the NC6

Is anyone really expecting to make much more than that in a year?

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 21,895 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It wont though. The data file from ESBn will show the number of kWh exported but will not show what the consumer was paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭JayBee66

A simple "What If" using the highest and lowest FIT will highlight consumers that need closer investigation. A day's work.

We will export 3500KWh this year so that's a no-brainer for Revenue. Even if the FIT is 10c, we are over the limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭irishchris

Not full year yet with new provider and cleared over 700 from fit alone so could do with government getting sensible and allowing non taxable fit payments if they wish to meet their carbon targets like they propose they want to. Win win for government, the planet and us solar microgen owners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Okay but the audit trail just continues to the provider then !!! EI, Bord Gais, etc. They have MPRN/address/bill payer details and the euro amount of FIT paid! Before anyone says they can't do that look at how they set up collection of LPT, if you don't pay it can be deducted from salary via your employer! It may not be in legislation currently but whats to stop them adding it in future

Customers may not be being paid for the FIT either, if you send in an NC6 and you have a non smart meter they will take your exported energy but not pay you.

I've said it before, unless it gets to a point where they are sending me cheques as income, as opposed to reducing my bill in the same way that a discount does, I wont be paying tax on any fit.

I'm really not sure the appetite is there for all that tbh. It remains to be seen.

Coming up next on the tax defaulters list... 😉

Revenue will ignore it until it becomes a problem, at which point they'll crack down on it and hit everyone to update their tax returns or get audited. It's a lot easier to track down the data than a cash in hand business so it's probably an easier win

• Advertisement

Hey look I've been audited before, Revenue are actually really helpful to deal with. I doubt they have the appetite to chase multiple people to pay tax on the incremental amount above 200 quid. In most instances it will be a few euros max, same as BIK on charging an EV at work.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 aleesi

I tend to agree their EV tariff are only for corner cases but I all depends on your consumption and whether you have a PV with battery. on the FIT not sure if other companies follow the same marketing strategy (with / without VAT) in any case the VAT is 9% so 22.75c

So not sure I'm understanding this. I gave them a ring a while ago, they asked me a few question over the phone (consumption, whether I had an EV etc..) and they told me that their balanced billing system would work our (for me) at 250 euro/month the first 2-3 months (I believe they say 3 months) and that bills will adjust afterwords. Forget about the 250 for now, you have been charged 116, then 5, how does that work? provided you already have a positive balance (credit) in your account why are they still charging anything at all? should they just submit a bill with credit and no charges at all?

How has your experience with them been so far? I've hard some complaints specially among those with PV re/ export FIT

Started first month at 116 then dropped to something like 24 since then been at the minimum level pay they can do which is €5. Not too fussed by that as every month that fiver goes into my balance. Your bill arrives every month on 12th. Has usage, standing charge and fit @25c per kw all on it.

I signed up online and when doing so asks you do you have ev and size of household. To get minimum level pay select no ev and one person in household. Best to go this route so your initial bill is at 116 and not higher then the system recognises your low usage and high export and adjusts the level pay right down

They are to pay back positive balances on regular basis going forward they told me this week (the €5 pretty month plus the fit payments) after confirming the refund of my balance this week.

First supplier I have been truly happy with as have had issues with flogas, electric Ireland and particularly bord gais through the years.

They are quick to answer on phone and their standing charge never went up with any rate increases unlike the other providers using the rate increases to also stealth increase the standing charge.

They began paying fit since last August. Backpaid in August for any fit owed and since then it is paid every month on your bill as a credit at 25c per kw

Also to add to this they also provide your daily usage straight away at 3am the next morning unlike electric Ireland who show you couple days prior.

The app also shows you your level pay amount and then expected bill amount in the 1st of each month

Thanks a lot, this has been really helpful. I'm out of contract with EI however cashing out my credit could be like pulling teeth otherwise I think pinergy would suit me best.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

How many people have Revenue gone after for LPT?

I'll only get ~€80/yr deemed FIT but if D/N meters are being forced over to smart meters this year then we will probably get double that but still under the €200. Looking into solar and a battery later in the year/next year so won't have to worry about this declaration bollocks...

I hear ya, but I also think Revenue tends to go after low hanging fruit and it's probably easier to go after a bunch of micro generators then a burger van on the N1 that only take cash

They didn't have any guidance last I checked so they probably don't care for now, but if Solar keeps taking off the way it is then I suspect that'll change

If revenue wants to get really nasty then they could just tell electricity companies they need to collect PPS numbers for anyone receiving FIT payments and deduct 52% tax at source

• Registered Users Posts: 3,392 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Is it not €200 per person named on the bill that is tax free on FIT?

e.g. Person + spouse / partner is worth €400 before tax is calculated on anything above that?

If that's the case, and you expect to have high FIT, could you list all the kids on the account for your electricity 🙂

Post edited by Fingleberries on

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭idc

Revenue have a list of options they can apply in relation to LPT, and most of them are automated I would hope hence theres no chasing up needed until they get to dealing with sheriff or solicitor! Like if it is totally automated by computer systems this kind of low hanging fruit is easy to handle

• mandatory deduction from salary or occupational pension
    • the withholding of any refund of other tax as payment against LPT due
    • withholding of Tax Clearance Certification
    • LPT surcharge generated on Income Tax, Corporation Tax or Capital Gains Tax returns
    • interest charges of 8% per annum and additional penalties may also apply
    • referral of the debt to a sheriff or a solicitor for collection
    • notice of attachment of the owner's bank account.

• Advertisement

OK, so in that instance I'll have myself, the mrs and her 18 year old on the bill, that's 3 PPSN with the 200 quid exemptions and I'm unlikely to exceed that. You'd need nearly 3000kWh exported - at 21c FIT - to exceed that. I have exported 400kWh since the start of September, and as I have more batteries, chargers, a second EV, an Eddi, and possibly a heat pump too, its unlikely I will ever export that much

I'd be surprised if Revenue go after people for FIT, I'm sure plenty of people are paying the wrong band of LPT that they can go after first compared to the small number of people lucky enough to have solar large enough to generate €400+ of FIT.

I'd much rather they continue to go after the chap who owes them something like €8m because he was allowed open two dealerships with the same name after one failed and went into debt.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Cashing out credit balance is compulsory if you leave a supplier. I left ei with credit balance couple years back as used to make weekly online payment to my ei account so was always on credit before bills came. Albeit was just 60€ but received cheque about two weeks later before I even got around to ring them to request payment

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭snor

Thanks all. Interesting to get other views. Will keep head down for now and add family members to accounts. Have EV and battery.Exported €163 of FIT since mid January,

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭snor

surprised to see such an impressive app given that their website is so poor - its challenging to even find the tarrifs on it !!

Website is pure crap alright. Very poorly laid out. App works perfect though

Just wondering as they have been updating their tariffs couple of times in recent times, are prices locked at all? At least during the lenght of the contract? With the **** rates Pinergy has overal, and the only one that's intetrsting won't likely be profitable (as most people signing for the ev rates will likely have PV with large batt paying little) I'd be surprise if the don't go belly up fast.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I'm still hesitant as I'm not up for more hardship (took me 2 months and many calls to get my smart meter up and running) and things are working fine with EI so far, but I think I'm gonna make the move. Worst case 50quid to get out and back to EI

I've been waiting 3 months for EI to pay me for FIT. Can I contact the CRU now?

They didn't contact me or attempt to make a payment in February. I contacted them after about 4-6 weeks asking to be paid and gave them my IBAN. Heard nothing for another few weeks, contacted again and they said they didn't send it because "KBC are no longer in Ireland". Yes, they are still here. Rather than follow up and say "that's KBC, Are you sure?" They decided themselves that they weren't going to pay based on their incorrect information.

Emailed again saying it's active, please pay me. Nothing.

Fucking joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭curioustony

Hard to get all the FIT (CEG) details in one place. Some of the URLs below actually need cookies to work correctly -- you must navigate from the correct URL! In any case, I had a go. I did not ring/email for details that were not present on supplier sites.

Date         21/05/2023            
    Suppliers    https://www.cru.ie/consumer-information/switch-supplier/energy-suppliers-in-ireland/            

Rate    Payment           Note                 Reference
    SSE             24.0    Twice year                             https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre/microgeneration/
    Energia         18.0    Billing cycle                          https://www.energia.ie/cosy-homes/energia-and-the-microgeneration-scheme
    BGE             18.5    Twice year                             https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/microgeneration
    EI              21.0    Billing cycle                          https://www.electricireland.ie/residential/microgeneration
    Pinergy         25.0                      Billing cycle?       https://pinergy.ie/clean-export-guarantee/
    Flogas          22.0    Two months        24 incl VAT?         https://www.flogas.ie/about-solar-pv/micro-generation.html
    Energia         18.0    Billing cycle                          https://www.energia.ie/cosy-homes/energia-and-the-microgeneration-scheme
    SSE             24.0    Twice year                             https://www.sseairtricity.com/ie/home/help-centre/microgeneration/
    Ecopower        14.0                                           https://ecopower.ie/all-price-plans-oct-22/#1634053078855-eb8c9adb-1791ea6b-c20a
    Arden energy                                                   https://www.ardenenergy.ie/
    Glow power                                                     https://glowpower.ie/
    Pre pay power                                                  https://www.prepaypower.ie/
    Water power                                                    https://www.waterpower.ie/wp-content/uploads/2022/08/MICRO-GEN-LETTER-10-08-2022.pdf

🌞4.55 kWp, azimuth 136°, slope 24°, 5kW, 🛢️10.9kWh, Roscommon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭buzz11

Thanks for putting up the simplified formula, based on the above it looks like Electric Ireland has underpaid me by about €175 -- they credited me €200 with no breakdown so I'll be onto them to see how its calculated.

Advertisement